What retro things have you done today?

Not exactly retro but my Logitech G400 mouse was faulty the other day due to the wire being broken that goes into it. I was randomly disconnecting when I moved the mouse around.
I ordered an MX518 legenday to replace it, that arrived and was a good replacement - but not a perfect replacement. Better sensor, worse shape and feel

I decided to dismantle the G400 and when I did I remembered I threw out a standard Dell mouse not long ago, I took that to bits and switched the USB wire into the G400 - So far so good, working again.
The mouse feet/pads that cover the screws are not exactly flat so any pointers on flattening them out im all ears

I'm looking for a dual socket 771 motherboard which has at least one pci-e x16 slot wired for at least 1.1 x16 or 2.0 x8 if anyone happens to have one sitting around... Doubtful I know! :p

The board in my Precision T5400 is on its last legs, things are falling off of it and stuff is not working properly :(

There are some around online but they are pci-e 1.1 x8 because they are server boards. 1.1 x8 is equivelant to 2.0 x4 which is a bit of an ouch.

Last edited:
zdH8o74.jpg

Been having low interest in retro stuff lately. I did buy a cheap socket 370 motherboard with the intention of making a "budget" 2000s PC into this case:

That motherboard was posted with 1 layer of used pre popped bubblewrap and inside a postage bag:

Obviously it does not work, all the caps were bent like they had been crushed by something and the board powers itself on as soon as power is plugged in.

So I them decided to just pay up for one from a known seller that I could definitely trust it to be properly tested and posted.

It is this one. Quite the compatible board and also has ISA which is handy. I have a 700mhz celeron in it for now and will use the built in vga/sound and then perhaps do an upgrade video afterwards.

I bought this for £51. Quite excited I've been after an aluminium case for ages and it comes with a replacement motherboard I can plop my i7 860 into. Plus some oddware front panel bits.

Ordered a data frog sf2000 handheld. Will test this out when it arrives. Its about time someone made a handheld that uses a standard 18650 battery. Easily replaceable and easy to obtain high quality batteries from vape shops.

Ordered a data frog sf2000 handheld. Will test this out when it arrives. Its about time someone made a handheld that uses a standard 18650 battery. Easily replaceable and easy to obtain high quality batteries from vape shops.
What are the game controllers that it also comes with? 'SF900' looks like a very cheap knock off 8bit do. Dont really see the point as its a handheld controller with a screen anyway.
Or does it have hmdi out and those allow for easier control when connected to a tv?

Its not got hdmi out, has av out to tv.
Cost me under 15 quid Inc delivery and comes with 1 extra wireless controller so wil be interesting to see how it all works. Will look to do some modding on it.
For the price its way better than getting those single 8bit console knockoffs like the SUP i bought.

Was also thinking of going the pi zero route and 3d print and design my own handheld case for it

The case came with a Thermaltake Power Station which seems to be a weird early (2005) attempt at a modular PSU. It has a 5.25 front panel box that on its rear (facing into the case) has a load of molex, SATA and floppy power connections so you can add only the connections you need. Not sure it really helps with cable management though...

IMG-20230713-131005.png

I am however using the very mid 2000s PS2 wireless kbm that it came with. The case has a Pentium 4 sticker and a QA 2005 sticker so it's a wierd mix of original hardware and the 2010 nehalem upgrade lol. The KBM is definitely original from 2005 or earlier.

IMG-20230713-131452.png

Considering the case is from 2000 (Lian Li PC-60) I'm tempted to put a Socket 478 build in it. Currently it's got the 1156 board that it came with.

Finished this project finally! :D

2x Xeon X5460 3.16GHz (quad core, LGA771)
Intel S5000PSL (SASR) Server Board
Mac Pro 1.1 heatsinks
32GB 667MHz DDR2 FB-ECC
Gainward GTX260 Core 216 896MB
Xonar DGX (server board has no onboard audio)
Corsair CV650
Crucial BX500 120GB
Casetek CK-1020 Blue (New Old Stock from 2003)
Windows 7 Ultimate X64

I'll update my thread later, but I wanted to share here cos I'm kinda proud of it. :)

GDjYAXd.jpg

yCPTFuv.jpg

j7gjwVw.jpg

cuVrZFp.jpg

CBRUAE6.jpg

K2nSc7X.jpg

Yes I did polish the heatsinks, why do you ask? :D

WWXPwbA.jpg

Okay, carry on!

Last edited:
Dual 4c4t Conroe/wolfdale CPUs (or whatever the Xeon equivalent is) have always intrigued me and considering my 3.3GHz Q6600 is/was borderline playable in a few modernish games a couple of years back I hope you give that PC a workout with a modern GPU trying modern games! Except for missing instruction sets getting in the way!

Back
Top Bottom