What retro things have you done today?

Not a III+, just a III. Even rarer it seems.
Nevertheless I snagged one on eBay... I don't want to talk about how much I paid, but it wasn't as much as the others are on there. :p

It was £52, but shipping from Italy and tax made it more like £80... :o
Feeling flush right now from selling my car though so I couldn't stop myself lol.

Last edited:
Not a III+, just a III. Even rarer it seems.
Nevertheless I snagged one on eBay... I don't want to talk about how much I paid, but it wasn't as much as the others are on there. :p

It was £52, but shipping from Italy and tax made it more like £80... :o
Feeling flush right now from selling my car though so I couldn't stop myself lol.
Any reason for just a III and not a + model? I picked up a broken Sony laptop just for the CPU. Was a K6-2+ 550 which I did the cache mod too, to make it a K6-III+. I actually use that instead of the III+ as it clocks better.

Any reason for just a III and not a + model? I picked up a broken Sony laptop just for the CPU. Was a K6-2+ 550 which I did the cache mod too, to make it a K6-III+. I actually use that instead of the III+ as it clocks better.

Partly because all the III+ were like £120+ which is even more ridiculous than what I paid, and I think that what I paid was ridiculous, but mainly because the board I have specifically states that the II+ and III+ will not be supported until a BIOS update is released, and as far as I can tell, that update never came.

Partly because all the III+ were like £120+ which is even more ridiculous than what I paid, and I think that what I paid was ridiculous, but mainly because the board I have specifically states that the II+ and III+ will not be supported until a BIOS update is released, and as far as I can tell, that update never came.
That makes sense. I think if your not going to leverage the Soft multiplier theres no point in the + cpu. Also with your board not supporting it no point in picking one up.

But speaking of + Cpus, i just Picked up a 500mhz K6-2+ for £17 quid delivered. Will do the Cache mod to turn it into a III+ and see how it clocks.

Last edited:
And what is the cache mod you mentioned?? :)
Here is a video of the mod. Basically, you pop the heat spreader and move a resistor to enable the extra cache so it becomes a K3.

Here's when i popped the Lid on mine. Its the bottom right resistor that gets moved over to the other exposed trace/pad

cQPdFFUh.jpg

Q5KsmCfh.jpg

Here's the CPU I bought.

y06thp5h.png

Last edited:
Ordered a cheap mini PC from Beelink, plan on turning this into a little Batocera retro box for playing on the lounge TV.

Was going to order a pi 5 but when you add up the cost of the board, storage, a case, official wall plug etc. it's not far off the S12 Pro which comes with a 500GB M.2 and 16GB of RAM and a massively more powerful cpu. I paid £166.

It's not the fastest M.2 and the RAM is only single channel but for emulation should be pretty decent.

I've just updated my retroarch setup on my series S (dev mode) it makes a fantastic little retro box, it's just a shame that for obvious reasons you can only use the Xbox controller and keyboard

I'll probably spend a few hours today playing some Master System titles

Ordered a cheap mini PC from Beelink, plan on turning this into a little Batocera retro box for playing on the lounge TV.
I bought a minisforum 6800U box, after being impressed with the 5700u box I bought my dad to replace his ageing desktop. I seem to swing between being impressed with its general performance and being disappointed with it's gaming performance. But it is perfect for pre 2009 games or so. I haven't dabbled with non windows installs yet but I'll be trying out some PS2 on it which should work fine I would think, the CPU is better than the GPU and ps2 seems CPU heavy (or you can lower your res to 640p). I've done 720p on a GTX275 just about.

I know no discussion of emulation is permitted but I’d be interested to hear how people get on with mini PCs running stuff like Batocera.

Can get a small box with a Ryzen 2400G in it for about £150 which seems reasonable as it should be quite a bit better than the ITX box I’m using now. Tempting.

Last edited:
The trouble with those is that there are Pi's and Pi competitors for so much cheaper with performance for most consoles.

Guess with the 2400g you do have a lot more options for more current games too..

Back
Top Bottom