What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
It depends on what the socket can take. If it’s an early s370 designed for FPGA celerons then no there’s no point in using the socket, might as well use a slot 1 P3 (or a slocket with a s370 p3 in it). If it’s a later FCPGA socket 370 then a socket 370 p3 has faster on-die (rather then on SECC) cache.

This is the wording in the manual:

The mainboard integrates both Intel
Celeron™(Slot 1) / Coppermine processor and Celeron™ (Socket 370) PPGA / FCPGA
processor interface into a compact PC/ATX compatible system.

That sounds like I should only use the socket for celerons?

I do have a sloket but a socket would be a much cleaner install :)

Caporegime
No, to me that sounds like the socket takes Coppermines, hence would take anything from a 500MHz/100FSB part, up to potentially a 1.13GHz/133FSB part. That said it *might* only do 100MHz FSB, so that would limit you to the 1GHz part.

It specifically mentions FCPGA which would indicate that PIII S370 parts are fine.

Soldato
Ah thats good!

The motherboard has fsb from 66 to 140 and officially 8x multiplier however even the manual talks of higher multis but does not say the jumper settings for them.

Going to clean the freebie case up first. its a light metalllic blue/silver that screams 2000s to me. Bit minging tho.

Caporegime
Going to clean the freebie case up first. its a light metalllic blue/silver that screams 2000s to me. Bit minging tho.

Skip.

The only late 90s/early 2000s cases that should be silver are full aluminium ones from Shuttle, Coolermaster and Lian-Li. I'd make an exception for a Vapochill also!

At least it's not one of those godawful Nokia 8310 lookalike cases.

Caporegime
Got bored of waiting for the right equipment and weather to give retrobriting another go on the Fujitsu case, but decided that the K6-3 machine REALLY didn't belong in the modded Dell (that case was P4 era, and I've got a S478 board that can go in there).

I HATE messy cases, so IDE is a real pain in the ass for me, but here we go:

k6-3-fujitsu1.jpg

k6-3-fujitsu2.jpg

k6-3-fujitsu3.jpg

k6-3-fujitsu4.jpg

k6-3-fujitsu5.jpg

Ignore the lack of floppy for now, I've only got black/grey ones and I've got a beige Gotek on the way to fill that void. And yes, between the internal pictures and the external pictures I remembered to put the AWE64 back in.

Soldato
Looking good! You have done a really good job of the cables. That whole build just looks super neat.

I have indeed abandoned the other case. Sat and looked at my socket 7 system for a bit before deciding my best components need my best case. Lets face it. The 400mhz socket 7 cant do anything the pentium3/voodoo cannot. I already have the dx2 and soon a dx4 system for the pure DOS tinkering.
Sooo the building has begun.

Caporegime
Lets face it. The 400mhz socket 7 cant do anything the pentium3/voodoo cannot.

The problem with thinking like that is, if I'd have just stuck with my Slot 1 P3 4 years ago, I'd have not got my dual-socket 370 system, and the Coolermaster ATCS-210 case for it, or the second dual-370 system with a Coolermaster ATC-111 for it to live in, or the Socket 7 P233 MMX system, or the K6-3... and so on. Lets not even start down the road of my dual-Opteron S939 machine, or the fact that I want a Socket A Shuttle XPC... One day I'll get a working Socket 3/2 board for my 486 bits... one day.

I "could" do everything with any of the above machines, well possibly not pure DOS on anything newer than the P233, but still.

Oh, forgot my 386-SX that could do the older speed-sensitive DOS bits.

Soldato
aha I fully understand that as that has been me during this lockdown!

Here is a few pics of the bits I got today:

Random note. that coloured 80mm fan is the only surviving component from my first ever build after getting a job. Probably early 2004.

And cramming it all into my desktop case:

Installing 98 so far.

Going with the AWE32 for sound.

Also I have read a lot on here and other pages about how hot the voodoos get, should I fit a fan?
Those IDE cable headers are possibly the worst placed in history.

Soldato
God that Fujitsu case is one of the most hideous things I've seen in a while, it's great!

I would fit a fan if you can. I ended up mounting one on the case instead of the card.

How are you finding the AWE32? Just don't judge it on Grabbag or whatever the Duke 3D theme is called; it's generic electric guitar instrument is a bit naff. Also some drivers seem to default to having zero treble in AWEMIX or SETMIX or whatever the dos executable for the mixer is called.

Caporegime
Also I have read a lot on here and other pages about how hot the voodoos get, should I fit a fan?
Those IDE cable headers are possibly the worst placed in history.

100% fit a fan, or a PCI fan bracket that puts fans facing the Voodoo 3’s heatsink.

At least those IDE headers are on the correct side of the motherboard, my K6-3 has them near the rear I/O!

Associate
@LewisRaz I was hoping to find out whether changing that bios setting helped, now I'll never know! :p

I bought a pci fan bracket off a particular auction site for about £6, fitted a 120mm fan to it and it blows air over any installed cards. Brilliant for the money, can highly recommend it. To be fair I didn't know such a product existed until I saw @cee-S-dee post an image of his system with one back here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33395995

Also, you lot need to master the art of ide ribbon folding! Without being too aggressive and damaging the cables of course, but it's quite possible. If I ever get around to setting up an image hosting account I'll post a pic of my setup, I found it easier to tidy ribbon cables than sata cables!

Soldato
@hohum sorry mate I did fiddle with the settings you mentioned this morning before setting out. I also tried setting the fsb to 60 because at that point why not. Absolutely nothing made any difference!

If you want I can send you back the Vanta?! That socket7 project will be sidelined for a while now while this P3 is about. Also I have all the parts to start the 486 dx4 VLB project now so that will happen soon!

@almoststew1990 I really like the awe32! Its my fav so far. The opl4/GM on my yamaha is kind of cool to have but in my few tests of midis and TTD the AWE32 really sounded great. It also has worlds less noise.

@paradigm this build isnt going in that blue thing!

Its in this beauty

I have a fan from a broken s370 cooler that I might be able to glue/screw on so will try that or order that bracket!

Caporegime
@paradigm
I have a fan from a broken s370 cooler that I might be able to glue/screw on so will try that or order that bracket!

First off that case NEEDS a 3dfx square dome badge for that empty badge slot.

Secondly I think I’m going to try 3d printing a clip that will clip over the stock Voodoo 3 3000 heatsink that will allow me to attach a 40mm or 60mm fan in a non destructive manner, so the V3 can be returned to stock should the need arise.

Associate
@LewisRaz Beauty! Those Acme cases really are such good quality. I love the pair of mine. I was considering moving one on as a build but couldn't bring myself too. I like how the power switch act's like the old AT style with the clunk!

Soldato
@LewisRaz Beauty! Those Acme cases really are such good quality. I love the pair of mine. I was considering moving one on as a build but couldn't bring myself too. I like how the power switch act's like the old AT style with the clunk!
I love this case. I wish every case was this easy to build in.
The switch has a reassuring amount of force needed! I had modded it for the AT setup with a switch that stays on but luckily they are swappable.

and 100% after posting that pic my first thought was... 3dfx badge :D

Just ordered a bracket for a fan. Dont want to hurt a nice card.

Any recommendation for voodoo drivers?

Are fastvooodoo still the ones to go for?

I also just discovered that genuine iomega zip 250 drives are worth a few $ Bonus!

Back
Top Bottom