What retro things have you done today?

Associate
Awesome info @hohum! I'm going to be using the wraith cooler off the 3700X as its what i have spare. My board is a 1.05 and was going to use some Corsair 3500LL (the modules with the cool activity lights on). I'd keep the board. They don't come up on the bay very often!

Think you may be good then, but perhaps give it a couple of runs on memtest before installing an O/S to be sure! Doesn't work on mine, but I have a 1.04.

I came across a similar one last night - an ASRock something something 939 Upgrade. It only had PCI-E but had a slot (like Slot 1 kinda slot) for an AM2 CPU. Not sure how you were meant to cool it... Interested to see what you do with it!

Yeah, they released a number of boards with this slot, but I don't recall ever seeing a upgrade board for sale anywhere! Must have had very limited availability. This link covers it, although as you'll see from the images you're pretty much limited to using the stock AMD cooler only due to orientation/clearance issues: https://www.ocinside.de/review/mainboard_asrock_939sli32_esata2/4/

Associate
To be honest, i'm going through a thing at the moment about building stupidly fast Win98 machines. There is no reason to build them stupidly fast but its fun to see how fast they run.

I built this recently and it actually works really well on Win98. Xeon X3220, Asus P5PE-VM, 2 Gig Ram and a ATI Radeon X850 XTPE, but stupidly fast for anything on Win98!

QuC0gjnl.jpg

Soldato
Just did a clean install as the CD thing was bothering me and I wanted to use a 16gb CF as 2gb gets full quickly...
I get better 3dmark99 scores without the VIA drivers (I wanted to see what the effect was as I think the broke the CD drives).

Also I really like the look of that CPU cooler! What is it?

Soldato
So the 1ghz in the sloket was so unstable that I couldnt even finish a 3dmark run. I thought it was because I had accidentally left 100mhz ram in but even after fixing that problem it still would not complete a run.
In the socket the PC would not even post..

But not to give up so easily I fit the 850 back in and slowly upped the FSB (the bios allows a bit more fine tuning as well as the jumpers).
Settled at 952mhz with 112 FSB. After a few runs of that I hit the voodoo with a little bump to 178mhz too. stable so far after 12 3dmark99 runs and 2 3dmark2000 runs.

CPU - GPU - 3dmark - cpumark

p3 850mhz V3 3000 16mb 5700 11591
p3 875mhz v3 3000 16mb 5808 11952
P3 953mhz v3 3000 16mb 6109 12991
p3 953mhz v3 3000 16mb 178mhz 6304 12987

Definitely some nice scaling from 850-950! and the small OC on the voodoo helped out too.

Associate
Just did a clean install as the CD thing was bothering me and I wanted to use a 16gb CF as 2gb gets full quickly...
I get better 3dmark99 scores without the VIA drivers (I wanted to see what the effect was as I think the broke the CD drives).

Also I really like the look of that CPU cooler! What is it?
Its an Thermalright AXP 200 muscle. Really good cooler for most systems.

Caporegime
3D printed a fan mount for the Voodoo 3 3000, I was half-way through designing one when I found that a single design had already been submitted on thingiverse, it didn't quite fit so I modified the design slightly and here we are:

voodoo3-fan1.jpg

voodoo3-fan2.jpg

voodoo3-fan3.jpg

voodoo3-fan4.jpg

If you fancy one @LewisRaz, they fit a standard 60mm fan and the stock V3 3000 heatsink.

Though my next run will be dark blue as I think the ABS plastic will cope with the heat better than this black PLA.

Soldato
I hope you grabbed both mate those are both good deals.

I superglued a 60mm fan to my voodoo and now with the case back on the airflow should be excellent around the card.

Had a bit of soundcard trouble which I posted over on vogons but I was able to sort it which I was pleased about.

Really happy with this PC cant stop playing on it.

Ordered the 3DFX badge from ebay for the final touch :)

Soldato
Popped in my preorder for a couple of these lightguns - sindenlightgun.com

I realise they are a bit niche, but I've always wanted to have a set and missed out on the console versions in their hayday. Fond memories of playing House of the Dead 2 and Time Crisis with my mates at the arcade.

It works with the PC and PS2 (with a mod), hoping it'll also become compatible with my Dreamcast light gun games also.

Associate
Bought a Kyro II

Did the same two days ago! A card I was always curious about but never tried. On paper the specs aren't great, but great efficiency compared to other vendors at the time. I only knew one person who owned one back in the day personally, shame they didn't do so well in the desktop space.

No more hardware purchases from me at this point for a while, need to clear some unused stuff!

Caporegime
Did the same two days ago! A card I was always curious about but never tried. On paper the specs aren't great, but great efficiency compared to other vendors at the time. I only knew one person who owned one back in the day personally, shame they didn't do so well in the desktop space.

No more hardware purchases from me at this point for a while, need to clear some unused stuff!

I had both a Kyro 4000 and a Kyro II 4500 back in the day. The lack of hardware TnL was the main downside, but essentially free AA was the main plus.

Associate
I had both a Kyro 4000 and a Kyro II 4500 back in the day. The lack of hardware TnL was the main downside, but essentially free AA was the main plus.

Ah right, I haven't even looked at enabling anything aa-related for retro builds! Was pretty much a no-no for anything I played way back when, although the 9700 Pro changed that. You planning on using it in that Shuttle you've bought?

Man of Honour
Went over to the storage unit as they reopened this week and pulled out my Tualatin P3 1ghz machine out. Just really wanted the Matrox Millennium II and 12mb Voodoo II's out of it, then noticed it still had the Soudblaster Live Platinum with the drive bay breakout box in it. I could do with that as well, the aluminium fascia Pioneer slot loading dvd drive too... Ooooh and naturally the LianLi PC68...

So... it's all at home now. Oops...

No HDD in it, so going to get a pair of PATA SSDs and stick on Win98SE and XP I think. May have to hunt some ram down as well.

Man of Honour
Popped in my preorder for a couple of these lightguns - sindenlightgun.com

I realise they are a bit niche, but I've always wanted to have a set and missed out on the console versions in their hayday. Fond memories of playing House of the Dead 2 and Time Crisis with my mates at the arcade.

It works with the PC and PS2 (with a mod), hoping it'll also become compatible with my Dreamcast light gun games also.

I'm eagerly waiting for my Kickstarter ones. 2 with recoil 1 in red and 1 blue I think.

Back
Top Bottom