What retro things have you done today?

Caporegime
I'm just torn as I use my Dual-Pentium 3's for Windows 2000, my K6-3 for Windows 98SE, my Pentium 233MMX for Windows 95, and I've got a Dual Opteron 280 (with SLI GTX 480s) for XP SP3.

This P4 doesn't really "fit" anywhere. I might drop the Quadro in favor of my Geforce 4 Ti4200, then all the hardware is from 2001/2002 and maybe... run ME? (I know, ME, but I actually ran ME back in the day and preferred it to 98SE. I was actually the 3DMark2000 top spot holder for a while using ME).

Associate
My P4 system in 2001 came with ME, although it was a 1.6 Willamette with RDRAM. ME ran fine for the most part, but I moved to XP about a year later. Performance was largely the same, but I didn't have the same feeling of dread with driver updates potentially going wrong!

I'd say go for XP personally, in terms of differentiation you could look at it as a fast single core setup for games that don't like dual core systems. With regards to the mess in that system and no nicotine smell, my guess would be that it was used in a slightly damp environment and the dust just clotted together over time. Manky though!

Caporegime
Looking at the rust on the outside, I'm going to say that I'd unfortunately assume much of that is scrap. Shame, I'd love the Olivetti machines (my dad was an Olivetti employee, I grew up on Olivetti machines!), but I'd assume that we've got battery leakage, rust issues, damaged traces...

That said, Adrian Black managed to get that Commodore 64 found in a field to work...

Soldato
Are you going in on it mate? I tempted to front a few £££ on it but dont want to bid against you ;)

I just put £20 on it. If many others have spot what you saw and the daughter board then its going much higher than that. Although the title and category mean it might miss a lot of searches. I certainly didnt get a notification for it and I have several alerts set up for lots

Soldato
I was kind of hoping the PSU would be AT but I can see a little ATX header poking out :(

Edit because we don't need three of my posts in a row...

the top left card might also be a VLB video card as it is long but only an 8bit ISA? I should probably stop pointing these out :p edit edit actually it's PCI, ah well.

Soldato
The soundcard was fairly easy as I have that exact card ;)

The motherboards I just googled "4xisa 4xpci intel chipset" and so on.

The gpu just looked familiar as I have a lot of S3/virge cards

Associate
This sexy lil beastie (DTK PAM 0079V E0) arrived this morning, SS7 goodness, VIA Apollo MVP3 chipset, ATX form factor, onboard PS/2, USB, and Yamaha YMF715E sound, ISA slot, PCI and AGP 2x, Really nice little board i paid too much for :D should be a nice upgrade for one of my BabyAT based builds.Sad thing is no I/O Shield but it looks pretty standard and if needed i can find one to match or make one up.
TAwk5v0.jpg

Associate
Nice! M-ATX SS7 motherboard. I had a ALi-V one a while ago but stupidly sold it. The one i had, had a ESS Solo-1 sound chip onboard. I think i saw this on ebay? Was tempted but far to rich for me :D Will make for a very nice build.

Back
Top Bottom