What retro things have you done today?

@LewisRaz, That's almost exactly what I did use for LANs back in the day! Albeit with a 1.8GHz Northwood running at 2.4 (BSEL modded from 100 to 133fsb) and a GeForce 4 Ti4400. My epic 1280x1024 LCD was a bit slow, it ghosted a fair bit, but it was free (ex EPOS pulled by a field service engineer friend of mine).

EDIT: Well, it needs a new CR2032, I've plugged it back in after the photos were taken and the BIOS has reset!

Last edited:
Neat system that, remember seeing them back in the day and wanting one to save space but it never quite happened. Looks like it cleaned up well! Is the PSU a particular form factor or bespoke? (basically can you replace it if it fails).

Last edited:
Thats for the heads up! Will have a little go on that. (Unless someone else really wants it)

I spent last night and this morning mapping this turbo display PCB and using my basic understanding of electronics decided to just go for it.

It worked thankfully although figuring out the segments and setting them was extremely fiddly. These jumpers must have been on there nearly 30 years (The case was a 386 originally).
It was set for 33mhz and 8mhz (And reversed too, full speed showed 8)

Now set to show the correct speeds. Really pleased with this machine now.

Still need to wire up the small LED on the turbo button but the previous owner cut the wires on it so I will need a 2 pin header so connect it back on.

Now the question is... To retrobrite or not...

One of these exact Shuttles has appeared on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shuttle-PC-SB51-ShuttleX-Working-with-XP-Home-and-some-utils/274372688870?hash=item3fe1e2fbe6:g:sAAAAOSwVCJeg2Fx&LH_ItemCondition=4

If that stays low (no-one bid on the one I bought) then it'll be a good value system.

EDIT: Sod it, at that price, I'm having one of these AM2 systems https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SK22-SHUTTLE-PC-XPC-SK22G20-SMALL-COMPUTER/313089751207?hash=item48e59a78a7:g:o9EAAOSw-NpexrUn&LH_ItemCondition=4

There were 3...

I'm kind of tempted to make it 1 left. Any recommendations for GPU in that? I'm thinking something like an 8800GT?

Did you pull the trigger? I see there is only one remaining now!

Also someone has started the bidding on the S478 shuttle, wonder if it was Lewis, he bids on everything!
Not guilty :P
Trying to calm down a little bit on the intake.. Will be throwing a few pieces on myself soon. Need to stop hoarding things. No need to have a CT1350b in a PC that will be turned on twice a year. They are going for nearly £100! Plus my slew of S7 boards that now sit in an awkward place between the dx4 and p3/voodooo.

My attention is mostly on this dx4 at the moment. Windows 95 performance is a little lacking. I think I might bump the ram to 24 or 32mb and see if it helps. IIRC w95/98 really enjoyed going over 16mb ram even on slower cpus.

Also looking at getting a better VLB card or see if there are any with better W95 support. This one has something annoying/glitches with it in windows in every res/colour depth except 640x480 24bit. Also when doing some things you get a kind of "scrolling"? I dont know the word. Like a printer printing the screen slowly. I usually only see this sort of thing when drivers are not installed.

I can relate to the need to thin out the collection. I’ve got so much stuff in the garage, loft, office... Many duplicates or at least overlapping time periods that don’t make sense to have both.

Both of my dual-P3 boxes are worth a decent amount, and I certainly don’t need two of them.

It’s not just PC either, I’ve got an iMac G4, a G4 Cube and a PowerBook G4 that are all from the same era, and I don’t need all three (or you could argue any at all, PPC is easily emulatable/virtualisable).

Add in the hoards of parts and it’s quite a sizeable chunk of retro hardware.

All this Shuttle talk is making me want to do something with my small form factor case but I did the only thing I can do with it a few weeks back.

Pro tip - if you find yourself spending too much time and money on eBay, get your account hacked. Now I don't want to spend any time or money on there at all! Someone set up a listing for a garden furniture set (with 100 available) and signed me up to eBay intl or something - where you sell on a different country's eBay. All passwords changed and Paypal disconnected for now by me (and then a day later eBay messages and says "hmmm we think you've been hacked maybe you should change your password).

I'm more than happy to assist anyone with the collection thinning - still after a 486 or Socket 7 board...

Ive got 3 working S7 boards althought all are AT and have some sort of annoyance. (the one I most recently used on here is now kind of locked to 2.4v cpus due to my mod. The mod also appears to have stopped the bios from keeping time..But still retains its settings). Another has the onboard COM ports wired differently from the readily available connectors so needs to be modded. The 3rd has a dallas and even after I replaced it with a new one still complains that the battery is flat and loses its settings. Got 2 that dont boot too.

My trouble is storage! My loft cant take much more I dont think.

Just popped an offer on some XMS2, so it begins. :) Thanks for the heads up on this, looking forward to dual booting 98/XP and rediscovering some old point and click games.

Can't keep hardware lying around, always gets punted on to fund the next purchase!

So the PSUs in these Shuttles, noticed they're rated at 200w. From memory the 8800GT / X1950 era needed 3-400w jobs didn't they?

Back
Top Bottom