What retro things have you done today?

Associate
Turned an old thinkpad l440 into a portable...ish retro gaming machine with the help of recalbox. Currently making images of old pc engine cd games to play on it, however this part is mind numbing.

Associate
Got a Dreamcast at a car boot for £30 boxed with a controller and Daytona 2001. Going to get it hdmi modded and get some more games ASAP

Soldato
Got a Dreamcast at a car boot for £30 boxed with a controller and Daytona 2001. Going to get it hdmi modded and get some more games ASAP

That's a bargain! Daytona 2001 is something like £20-25 on it's own.

Save your self some time and cash and buy the vga box for the dc, there's some weird scaling things with the hdmi mods when it's just simpler to use the vga output native in the console. Though I'm not sure what happens with the rgb/composite only games like Bangai-o

Associate
I built a new Retro-Cube for my 14" Sony PVM as the old one i built was getting pretty tired looking now and I wanted a white unit. Pretty happy with how it turned out with the shelf and drawer included. Better use of the space in the cube space. It sits on casters so is easy to push about.

oro4iSfl.jpg

This was the one before

cwCYV7rl.png.jpg

Soldato
Today I played.... Driver Parallel Lines. Not particularly old, but it's "style" is definitely stuck in the PS2 era!

pHZR4ig.png

uYxWLTS.png

nsRjHr1.png

it's also actually... nearly fun. The driving physics are fun, the chases are fun, the "Thrill Camera" is fun. I remember this being very mediocre compared to San Andreas (despite being a year or so younger) but the driving, atmosphere and soundtrack has actually held up quite well, at least for the 70s portion of the game. Man, I'd be very excited for a modern day single player Driver style game.

But yeah, definitely an old game. The characters all breath in and out about a foot in distance. People's faces don't really move. People stiffly walk around. It's got that slightly flat, rigid, overly square and sparse feel of PS2 era games that don't have much in the way of effects to add (literal) atmosphere to the world.

Still fun though! Just wish it supported 4:3 properly.

Associate
That's a bargain! Daytona 2001 is something like £20-25 on it's own.

Save your self some time and cash and buy the vga box for the dc, there's some weird scaling things with the hdmi mods when it's just simpler to use the vga output native in the console. Though I'm not sure what happens with the rgb/composite only games like Bangai-o

I have gone for the vga hdmi was too expensive. I will get the gdemu

Soldato
I built a new Retro-Cube for my 14" Sony PVM as the old one i built was getting pretty tired looking now and I wanted a white unit. Pretty happy with how it turned out with the shelf and drawer included. Better use of the space in the cube space. It sits on casters so is easy to push about.

oro4iSfl.jpg

This was the one before

cwCYV7rl.png.jpg

..want

Soldato
20190829-202024.jpg

Picked this lot up for £20. The system is like new condition. Just wanted a good way to play GBA games without having to pay out for an AGS101 SP.

Most the games above are skippable, but may keep ones of the left.

Soldato
Nice find for £20!

I do the same I have a Game Boy Micro but 9 times out of 10 I'll pick up my junk DSL for my GBA games. The battery stays charged for approximately forever, it has a larger nicer quality screen, the buttons are nicer, the sound is better quality over headphones...

Soldato
Nice find for £20!

I do the same I have a Game Boy Micro but 9 times out of 10 I'll pick up my junk DSL for my GBA games. The battery stays charged for approximately forever, it has a larger nicer quality screen, the buttons are nicer, the sound is better quality over headphones...

That's the bonus over an SP too, actually headphone Jack rather than needing an extra cable etc.

I'm chuffed with it, just started Sonic Advance. Feels like a continuation of the megadrive games.

Man of Honour
Today turned into a slobbing day. Spent about 2 hours playing Hired Guns on the Armiga, another couple playing Cannon Fodder...
Then had a couple of friends round, played some Mario Kart 8 and Wii Sports while I fired up the BBQ.

It's been a good day. :D

Soldato

oro4iSfl.jpg

This was the one before

cwCYV7rl.png.jpg

Definitely in the market for a 14" PVM but I just dont know where to start, what's considered a good price etc and what models to look out for. Something like this would suit my situation perfectly now

Associate
That's the bonus over an SP too, actually headphone Jack rather than needing an extra cable etc.

I'm chuffed with it, just started Sonic Advance. Feels like a continuation of the megadrive games.

I've also just started sonic advance again, really enjoying it at the moment

Associate
Definitely in the market for a 14" PVM but I just dont know where to start, what's considered a good price etc and what models to look out for. Something like this would suit my situation perfectly now

I'd hate to be after a PVM in today's market! I paid £10 for that PVM back in 2014. I could get £150+ easy for it now i reckon. There is a PVM 14M4E on ebay currently which is a great price in my opinion and is 800TVL which will give a really nice scanline picture (if that's your thing of course!)

Soldato
I'd hate to be after a PVM in today's market! I paid £10 for that PVM back in 2014. I could get £150+ easy for it now i reckon. There is a PVM 14M4E on ebay currently which is a great price in my opinion and is 800TVL which will give a really nice scanline picture (if that's your thing of course!)

It's all about the scan line right? ;)

Yeah you did very well there, shocking money now tbh. That one seems good value, probably a bit far to collect for me but will keep an eye out.

May just try and find a good rgb consumer CRT for now. Loved my last one but moved it on as it was a bit bulky and didnt have the space. However your set up has inspired me and by going smaller, I can get something that can be moved about with ease when not in use!

Associate
The special stages must be well hidden as I haven't found one yet but apparently theres a special spring in each stage that takes you to one!

I'm on like level 5 act 1 now!

i havnt done much to be honest, only had a quick blast last night but i intend to finish it and then maybe kirby super star ultra on my ds

Soldato
Today I dropped one of my Shenmue 2 cases for dreamcast onto a wooden floor, where it absolutely shattered. Normally I'm extra careful as even looking at DC cases can cause the hinges to break but I wasn't expecting all four hinges to break!

Ah well, F355 challenge just got demoted to a CD-R case.

Back
Top Bottom