What TV chef suits your cooking?

Associate
Got the Fat Duck recipe book for christmas - truely amazing the work that goes into Heston's dishes. Though haven't used it as needs crazy amount of equipement and ingredients.

My cooking style is more like Nigel Slater. Simple adaptable cooking that is all about taste

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'm all for simple ingredients with big flavour, so I'd have to say Jamie Oliver.

I submit the following for Lulz though..

article0038e7ddc000005d.jpg

Soldato
I know there are a few cooks on here and I'm curious to know who's cooking best suits your tastes?

Are you a very quirky and experimental Heston Blumenthal?
Are you a lover of healthy, organic and fresh ingredients like Jamie Oliver?
Maybe you're quite refined in your French/British cooking like Gorden Ramsey?
Or maybe you like all the delights of the sea like Rick Stein?

I would say I am normally like Nigel Slater, simple, fresh, quick and honest. Not really restaurant food, and I like it that way. Although I do have my Gordon Ramsey moments.:p

So what about you?

Local chinese chef :D Le Dragon.... great food. his cooking style really suits me .

Man of Honour
If we are talking cooking style probably hairY bikers. As I love hard hitting flavours. Although he annoys me I do love Garry roads style when he went to china and Jamaica

Soldato
Can someone recommend me a nice simple recipe book, no sweet stuff though. I tend to try some of the books but a lot do assume you have baby yak milk stored away or a bats slipper, just odd ingredients. Is there anything that gives you a core list of stuff at teh start and then each recipe is based around those ingredients so i dont have to drop 70 quid in asda every time i want to cook a new recipe :) Garden is full of herbs, fresh chilli's and tomatoes so i do have some good ingredients and always have plenty of butchers mince, sausages and chicken around, so after meaty stuff!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tearing up basil with your fingers looks good on TV, but try doing it for real and the results are disappointing to say the least. It's fiddly to the point of giving you sore fingers, takes forever to tear up enough of the damned stuff to do anything useful, you often miss bits and end up with long strips that aren't very nice to eat, and the results don't look as pretty and rustic in the flesh as they do on the screen! There, got that out of my system. :)

TV cook in better than cooking than you shocker!

CBJ

CBJ

Associate
TV cook in better than cooking than you shocker!
Oh c'mon, we're talking about tearing up leaves here, not some cooking technique that takes years to perfect! The point is that he can make a big thing about how great it is on TV because all he has to do is tear up a couple of leaves and garnish one plate. In the real world, if you've got a big pile of basil leaves in front of you that you want to use in a meal for several people, then tearing them up in such a way that they are actually useful and presentable is no longer such a cool, easy-going activity. It's a nuisance, and in the long run it's impractical. The main reason for the rant was that it took me a couple of years of slavishly tearing up basil leaves for numerous meals to realise this!

Associate
Can someone recommend me a nice simple recipe book, no sweet stuff though. I tend to try some of the books but a lot do assume you have baby yak milk stored away or a bats slipper, just odd ingredients. Is there anything that gives you a core list of stuff at teh start and then each recipe is based around those ingredients so i dont have to drop 70 quid in asda every time i want to cook a new recipe :) Garden is full of herbs, fresh chilli's and tomatoes so i do have some good ingredients and always have plenty of butchers mince, sausages and chicken around, so after meaty stuff!

Real Food, Real cooking or 30-Minute Cookbook by Nigel Slater. Simple cooking using normal ingredients that always taste great. His "A Year in the Kitchen" book is great too - basically sets out what he cooked for himself during the year.

Soldato
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall & Rick Stein. All about the best local ingredients and simple honest cooking. Also Simon Rimmer, no ott fancy stuff just simple easy recipes that taste good with little fuss. I love cooking but it's as much about the eating!

....John Burton Race, however, is one I would happily lock in the stock cupboard for him to be never seen again. Arrogant, pretentious snob who thinks unless a michelin chef cooked it, it couldn't possibly be palatable.

Soldato
Real Food, Real cooking or 30-Minute Cookbook by Nigel Slater. Simple cooking using normal ingredients that always taste great. His "A Year in the Kitchen" book is great too - basically sets out what he cooked for himself during the year.

Thanks just ordered 30 - Minute Cookbook by Nigel Slater, looks to get some great reviews. :)

Back
Top Bottom