What TV shows are you currently watching

Man of Honour
Whoopsie! My bad I saw two of your posts and decided to put them together...who knows why. Season 8 of GOT was terrible though.

No worries!

Yeah as said I don’t personally think s8 terrible, but it clearly went for ‘concise resolution’ after a lot of drawn out set up.

I personally didn’t mind this, as I was ready for it to conclude - I’m not sure keeping the existing slower pace of the middle seasons was sustainable, but I’m also someone that tends to prefer films over TV shows because films necessarily conclude. There’s nothing worse than a TV show that goes on and on and on. ‘Perpetual intrigue’… blergh!

I’m admittedly perhaps overly sensitive to this. I watched the first episode of the German TV show ‘Dark’ where there is a ‘mysterious letter’ dangled in front of the audience like a carrot. I remember thinking… “if they don’t tell me what this letter says by the end of the episode, **** this show”. They didn’t show the letter, so I never watched episode 2. Apparently it’s a really good show and I understand they reveal the letter in just a few episodes but… **** it! I just can’t be arsed with such tediousness.

Going back to GoT series 8, there were a few ‘micro events’ that REALLY bugged people at the time but honestly I thought people were being way overly sensitive about, like:

Dragon being shot from a boat.

Dragon not being shot at King’s Landing.

… and I think, meh, that’s just based on the footage that we are presented. If it could have been edited slightly differently or just added a 2 second clip of explanation, or if it just isn’t that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, I’m not going to let those things spoil the whole, personally.

Finally, despite the manic pace I thought the swift resolution of conflict was absolutely on point for GoT:

The Lannisters / King’s Landing got steamrollered, pow! It was shocking and a total massacre… if that merciless display of brutality isn’t pure GoT then I don’t know what is :)

But ultimately, to each their own!

Sorry for the epic post :o

Last edited:
Associate
Just finished Obliterated on Netflix.

Strangely enjoyable action comedy with possibly a little too much nudity, both female and male.

It managed to keep going over the 8 episodes which I thought it might struggle to do. Just don't over think it!

Associate
Got through to episode 10 of the new Frasier ... its abysmal compared to the original. I did have a laugh out loud moment in episode nine but the only one of the series. Nicholas Lyndhurst character is just awful David Hyde-Pearce had the right idea. Avoided it.

Soldato
No worries!

Yeah as said I don’t personally think s8 terrible, but it clearly went for ‘concise resolution’ after a lot of drawn out set up.

I personally didn’t mind this, as I was ready for it to conclude - I’m not sure keeping the existing slower pace of the middle seasons was sustainable, but I’m also someone that tends to prefer films over TV shows because films necessarily conclude. There’s nothing worse than a TV show that goes on and on and on. ‘Perpetual intrigue’… blergh!

I’m admittedly perhaps overly sensitive to this. I watched the first episode of the German TV show ‘Dark’ where there is a ‘mysterious letter’ dangled in front of the audience like a carrot. I remember thinking… “if they don’t tell me what this letter says by the end of the episode, **** this show”. They didn’t show the letter, so I never watched episode 2. Apparently it’s a really good show and I understand they reveal the letter in just a few episodes but… **** it! I just can’t be arsed with such tediousness.

Going back to GoT series 8, there were a few ‘micro events’ that REALLY bugged people at the time but honestly I thought people were being way overly sensitive about, like:

Dragon being shot from a boat.

Dragon not being shot at King’s Landing.

… and I think, meh, that’s just based on the footage that we are presented. If it could have been edited slightly differently or just added a 2 second clip of explanation, or if it just isn’t that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, I’m not going to let those things spoil the whole, personally.

Finally, despite the manic pace I thought the swift resolution of conflict was absolutely on point for GoT:

The Lannisters / King’s Landing got steamrollered, pow! It was shocking and a total massacre… if that merciless display of brutality isn’t pure GoT then I don’t know what is :)

But ultimately, to each their own!

Sorry for the epic post :o
I loved GOT, it was one of the best shows on TV for years but felt rushed in the end. I don't necessarily have issues with how it played out just the speed in which it happened.

It lost a bit of the WOW factor for me because of it.

You should watch Dark, its fantastic.

Associate
Better Call Saul

Having watched S1-5 previously, just not season 6 released last year.

So started from the beginning, really enjoying Saul a second time. Although as mentioned in this thread, I am not sure if I'll continue the story after Saul and rewatch Breaking Bad again. Probably will as they are both top shows.

Soldato
Started watching Justified after seeing it recommended on here many times. Struggling to get into it after a few episodes. Do I need to give it time or is it more of the same?

Soldato
I've been watching through what is available so far the last few days - not really sure what to make of it - it alternates between quite good and really bad, a lot will depend on the pay off.
We've been watching this (Murder At The End Of The World) mainly because the wife thought it might be worthwhile.

It started out fairly promising, sort of like a latter day Poirot setting with a gathering of people in a whodunnit situation.

However there are just several aspects that don't sit right. Far too many flashbacks into a pevious case that Darby and her sidekick/boyfriend investigated. Seems to be a device to pad out the main story, don't really need all that background. And Darby herself (the main protagonist) is just not that appealing or convincing as some sort of ace sleuth. Spends a fair portion of each episode sitting around smoking weed (or whatever they substitute it with filming the show), being emotional and generally just seems too young and naive to be a professional investigator. Various character twists between suspect/good guy-gal/oh now they've been bumped off as well starting to get tedious. Could also do without the preachy green agenda that has been worked into the story.

As said, final episode next week let's hope the loose ends are tied up but it's not a show I would watch again or consider buying on disc.

Soldato
Started watching Justified after seeing it recommended on here many times. Struggling to get into it after a few episodes. Do I need to give it time or is it more of the same?
Quite honestly, I feel like if the first 3 minutes didn't hook you, it's probably not for you.
Got through to episode 10 of the new Frasier ... its abysmal compared to the original. I did have a laugh out loud moment in episode nine but the only one of the series. Nicholas Lyndhurst character is just awful David Hyde-Pearce had the right idea. Avoided it.
Yeah, it was 'okay' but I found episode 10 terrible. So contrived to achieve a very below average set of jokes.

Soldato
Got a 3 month Apple TV sub and started with Silo. Two episodes in quite intriguing so far, very high quality overall which I hear is the norm for Apple TV content.

Man of Honour
Just finished Obliterated on Netflix.

Strangely enjoyable action comedy with possibly a little too much nudity, both female and male.

It managed to keep going over the 8 episodes which I thought it might struggle to do. Just don't over think it!

Don't over think it is an understatement - I know it is supposed to be more a caricature but the choreography in firefights, etc. is woeful.

They've also intentionally cast actors who have a passing resemblance to certain A list actors they likely couldn't get as well, though that somewhat works with the kind of parody aspect of it but I doubt was intentional.

Soldato
A Nearly Normal Family on Netflix, another decent scandi series.

Tried watching All the Light We Cannot See, got bored and irritated with the English accents, the other half continued on her own...said it was really good.

Soldato
Obliterated.

Great start > got a bit too ridiculous midway > but the last 2 episodes got back on track
- when we found out the hot blonde was the Russian sister.

But overall, very good with a few lol moments and Ava, cracking butt! Similar to The Boys humour.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm watching the Sharpe's series of Napoleonic drama from ITV from the mid 90's anyone remember it? Almost like a series of movies as each is one is an hour and a half plus.

It's free on ITVX and I'm thoroughly enjoying them.

Got as far as Sharpe's Enemy last night which I think has been my favourite so far.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just finished watching Better Call Saul - I never ended up finishing it, so had 3 seasons to catch up on.

It’s generally very, very good although much like Breaking Bad I can see it sagging on a rewatch without the necessary tension.

I really loved / hated the character of Lalo. He was terrifying!

The last four episodes were more like an ‘epilogue’ so I can definitely see how some people wouldn’t like the pacing, which could have been improved, but I thought it all added layers / clarity to Saul’s character so I still like the overall story etc.

But checking out other views online I’m once again bemused with others going full on baby mode. Trash! Ruined! Shame on the writers! And other emotionally violent reactions where the whole gets thrown in the bin because of some nitpicks.

Some people really need to get a grip on how to react TV shows and films not aligning with their own preconceived notions (or expectations) of how things should resolve.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom