What was I supposed to do? Might have gone through a red light

Associate
Been driving for about a year now. Turning right at a yellow box junction. Car in front turns, I edge forward a bit just pass the white line as my my car begins to enter the box. By the time there's space to go, the light changes to red just as I begin to make my turn. No visible cameras but worried there might be the smaller boxes on the traffic light tops or someone saw me on a dashcam or I just screwed up.

Caporegime
Those little "camera boxes" on the lights are presence detectors to tell the light you're waiting.

Unless there was a massive yellow box and lines on the road, you're fine.

Associate
OP
Those little "camera boxes" on the lights are presence detectors to tell the light you're waiting.

Unless there was a massive yellow box and lines on the road, you're fine.
No, but Im more concerned about whether I broke the law, and if someone with a dashcam (like me) saw it. And then reported it. (not me).

Soldato
Turning right, yellow box, room to be fully in front of the white line, green light = enter the box and wait. Personally if there are already multiple (2-3) cars waiting in the yellow box and not a full car length after the solid white line I always wait, especially if it would mean blocking the crossing.

Associate
OP
Turning right, yellow box, room to be fully in front of the white line, green light = enter the box and wait. Personally if there are already multiple (2-3) cars waiting in the yellow box and not a full car length after the solid white line I always wait, especially if it would mean blocking the crossing.

There was only one car. As I began to move forward, the light changed to amber, so I was already in the box even only a little bit, so I then turned rifbt. There was no oncoming traffic.

Soldato
No, but Im more concerned about whether I broke the law, and if someone with a dashcam (like me) saw it. And then reported it. (not me).
Possibly but just forget about it.

I appreciate you may be an anxious sort but, seriously, it's highly unlikely anything will come of it. Go find something to take your mind off it before you give yourself an aneurysm over what is, in the bigger picture, inconsequential.

Associate
OP
Possibly but just forget about it.

I appreciate you may be an anxious sort but, seriously, it's highly unlikely anything will come of it. Go find something to take your mind off it before you give yourself an aneurysm over what is, in the bigger picture, inconsequential.

Don't.

Worry.

About.

It.
I do have anxiety so I will worry I just want to know if I've broken the law and what I could have done in this situation in the future .

Don
I do have anxiety so I will worry I just want to know if I've broken the law and what I could have done in this situation in the future .
You haven't broken the law.

If you are in the junction after the light changes to red, other traffic is meant to actually wait for you to clear the junction before proceeding through a green light.

Associate
It sounds like you made a mistake but it wasn't due to being careless and so don't beat yourself up about it. You're a fairly new driver and even people like me who have been driving 15 years or more still get it wrong by accident every now and then.
Please don't worry or feel bad. It's extremely unlikely there will be any comeback and even if there was it doesn't make you a bad person! You're human, you make mistakes like we all do. :) Relax.

Back
Top Bottom