What was it like growing up in the 80's.

Man of Honour
I loved my childhood in the 80's.

The summers seemed warmer (and longer). A typical day would consist of paper round in the morning. Id meet up with a couple of mates to go to town on the bus for 2p return. I'd buy a set of 'mushroom' grips or trick nuts with my weekly paper round money from the cycle superstore, a backstreet BMX shop we thought was the be all and end all of shops. We'd grab some popping candy for the way home and a maybe a Wham bar. The remainder of the day would be spent digging up waste ground to build our own BMX track or tweaking and polishing our bikes. We would stop out till late without our parents being overly concerned, only to return home when the street lights came on - unless of course you were in screaming distance for Mom to call you in for 'tea' (northerner and proud!).

It snowed most winters, usually enough to make a decent snowman in the garden with enough left over to make a couple of barracades to have a snowball fight. We could throw snowballs at school too as long as we weren't too close to the school buildings. After school it was in-front of the box watching he-man or M.A.S.K then being called into the kitchen to eat home made chips, fried egg and beans followed by a round of battenburg cake if we were very lucky. Then it was time to fire up the C64, the best computer ever made. I had scrimped and saved my paper round money for a floppy drive and was the envy of my mates as I only had to wait 3 or 4 minutes for a game to loads, not the usual 10-15 minutes. The disks were huge (5.25" iirc), I did however miss the Ocean loading tune but would never admit it!

I knew it was time for bed when I heard the Dallas them tune for the second time. I'd wind my Star Wars clock up and set the alarm for 6 a.m ready to perve over Sam Fox or Linda Lusardi of Page 3 fame while delivering the first paper in colour 'Today' which sadly did not have topless women inside.

While kids these days may have better toys, better technology and better TV. I seriously doubt that they had a better time than we did. There is a lot to be said for freedom.

Special days indeed.

Soldato
Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun back then :)

Have to say these days there seems to be a lot of paranoia, you know don't go in the woods, don't climb that tree, don't walk in the dark alone. :(

Permabanned
+1

Also anyone remember the Bembom brothers theme park in Margate. That roller coaster was the real deal.

No but I remember going to Blackpool was great and the pleasure beach was amazing and you didnt have to pay £5 to just walk around, spent many a summers in Blackpool, walking along the front with fish and chips or hot sugary doughnuts.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Finding it hard to belive that no-one has mentioned;

NIGHTRIDER
And AIRWOLF

It wasn't on for long but you also had Streethawk as well :)

I was born at the start of the 80s and looking back it did seem good, but then I've not really got a way to compare to what it'd be like today.

Soldato
so many good movies from the 80s and TV series with real action. kids TV was brilliant too. games consoles were not a given so i think we appreciated them more

best thing was, i just remember being out all the time with my mates, every day was a new adventure. good memories

damn is that the time, gotta get to bed work in the morning :( :p

Associate
Born in 78 so early life was in the 80's (pre senior school), I also remember the freedom, I used to play out with my mates, Climb tree's, play in farmers fields and be scared they were going to shoot us (i'm sure this was just a story we told ourselves).
I used to walk to school on my own, although not sure at what age this started, must have been around 7, I cannot imagine letting my children walk to school on their own at that age.

Also my memory always remembers the days as sunny, I cannot remember any rainy days, i do remember those really high winds that Michael Fish said were not going to happen in October 1987, I actually walked to school that morning to be turned away by the teachers saying they were shut.

They were great times, lots of fond memory's.

Gog

Gog

Associate
Born in 75 and can concur with the playing outside till all hours. Still did enjoy our TV though, especially He-Man, Willy Fogg and the great Cities of Gold! It may be because there wasn't a lot of TV that I appreciated it more. For the same reason it may be why I also think there were much better adverts in the 80's; well at least more memorable. Kia-ora (too orangy for crows), Fudge (just enough to give your kids a treat), Um-Bongo (they drink it in the Congo) and the Birds Eye Steak-House one (hope its chips its chips).

Is it just me and my friends, but can all those around in the 80's remember the songs/tunes to those without having to look them up on YouTube?

I always remember everyone at school having watched the QED programme "John's Not Mad", despite never having even mentioned seeing QED before. It was about a young lad with tourettes. Everyone just started swearing and explained that they were discussing the programme when pulled up by a teacher.

Soldato
Born in 1981, loved being a kid and the memories I have are a big reason for why we emigrated to NZ, couldn't see my kids (who were hypothetical at that point) having the childhood I thought they deserved if we stayed in the UK. We live in a little town in the South Island and people are friendly, kids are free to be kids, we rarely bother to lock our doors and generally just enjoy day to day life.

Man of Honour
Born in 1969 so I was 11 when the 80s started. As mentioned there was a lot more freedom than kids have nowadays (I have kids now so can judge it). The music was better, there was a feeling of optimism in the air. TV was better and everyone watched the same thing and talked about it at school (there were only 3 channels and most of the content wasn't American).

PCs were just starting (zx81, spectrum, commodore, etc). If you wanted to know something you asked someone or looked it up in a book. Phones were wired into the wall and the closest thing to a mobile was a long handset cable. CB radio was one of the big fads.

Lots of other stuff... It was a great time to grow up.

Permabanned
Optimism????

I remember the opposite, Cold War, Fear of Nuclear War, recession and massive inflation.

But then I don't have such a nostalgic view of my childhood, mainly because it sucked the big weenie most of the time.

Man of Honour
Yes optimism that the future would be better. At least that's what I felt. Nowadays everything is doom and gloom with the world economy going down the toilet, not many jobs around, everything is so expensive, there are draconian laws meaning you can get fined for something trivial (unless you're a bad guy in which case you get legal aid to seek compensation under human rights).

Back then I fundamentally felt that while there were problems out there, the future would be better. Nowadays I can't say the same for the future for my kids.

Today... Threat of middle east and islamic tensions has replaced the cold war. Unemployment is worldwide not just local like in the 80s. Inflation is bad too right now even though the figures don't officially show it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Optimism????

I remember the opposite, Cold War, Fear of Nuclear War, recession and massive inflation.

But then I don't have such a nostalgic view of my childhood, mainly because it sucked the big weenie most of the time.

And this is why us older ones will look at the 80s completely different.
It was a horrible time globally.

I've been watching some old films from 1989 of my two babies and my camcorder was pointed everywhere at the time eg pointing at loads of kids dancing, kids on bouncy castles etc and you wouldn't get away with it now.

Permabanned
Inflation today is nothing compared to the 1980s, Also money was far tighter and people didn't have anywhere near the levels of disposable income as they do today. When I left school there were no jobs, no real prospects for kids, university was out of reach for most people, unemployment through most of the early and middle 1980s was higher than today, the recession was as global then as it is today, low level crime was rife, especially car crime, there were not the same levels of provision for kids in the care system, with systematic abuse and little or no recourse for the child to get help, say something and no one believed you, clipped you round the ear and punished you....and I could go on and on.

Today my 13 year old has so much opportunity and provision that didn't exist in the '80s.....

In the States where I spent most of the 1980s it was worse, gangs, gun crime, no social provision and so on.....it wasn't until the late 80s that anything got better for me at least and I am of an age with you. It's amazing how subjective it is depending on peopes experiences.

I think it's great that you and others had a great childhood and have fond memories of the 1980s.....for me the optimism came in the 90s and my life began as the 80s finished.

Last edited:
Permabanned
And this is why us older ones will look at the 80s completely different.
It was a horrible time globally.

I've been watching some old films from 1989 of my two babies and my camcorder was pointed everywhere at the time eg pointing at loads of kids dancing, kids on bouncy castles etc and you wouldn't get away with it now.

That's true, the paranoia of parents is a hundred time worse today....I am guilty to some extent as well, but mainly because I was such a bad 'un that I am paranoid my boy will be the same (he won't as he has a stable upbringing, but that doesnt stop me worrying about it). Luckily the Wife injects sense into it all....

Man of Honour
That's true, the paranoia of parents is a hundred time worse today....I am guilty to some extent as well, but mainly because I was such a bad 'un that I am paranoid my boy will be the same (he won't as he has a stable upbringing, but that doesnt stop me worrying about it). Luckily the Wife injects sense into it all....

Well to be honest I haven't grown up with paedo paranoia because I have always known there in no more now than there was when I was a child but it wasn't reported in my day.
In the old days you always knew not to go near that bloke who lives down that street.

Back
Top Bottom