What was your first (PC) computer, 286,386?

You had a 40MB hd with a 286! That must have cost an absolute fortune. My 40MB drive which came with my 486 must have cost over £150.

This is the IIRC 20MB drive on my first PC ( http://www.aten-hosted.com/images/DSC00078S.jpg ) and that cost an absolute fortune at the time 286 with 2MB RAM and 800x600 full colour monitor was like 3 grand at the time. Was shared with family though - my first personal PC came later.

My first "PC"

Amstrad2386.jpg

Amstrad 8086, used to play games on it... loved it.. them were the days! 10MB HD storage if I remember correctly

And setting all the IRQs for any ISA or even newer PCI cards!

And running Stacker or DoubleSpace to get more space on your HD. Had to install Commander Keen somehow!

My first PC was a Tiny 386SX-16, with IIRC, 1MB RAM, 20MB HD and a 14" monochrome monitor. I think that was replaced by a 486DX2-50 :cool:

I remember buying a Seagate 340MB hard disk at some point and thinking I could never fill it!

An Olivetti 8088 based "Laptop" (I say "Laptop", but it would break your legs).

It had a monochrome display, two 3 and 1/4" floppy drives, and no HDD.

The keyboard was however removable from the chassis, on a curly cord!

Being pedantic, aren't all home computers PCs in the literal sense?
First Intel one I had though was an Amstrad 386 20Mhz 4Mb RAM 40Mb HDD. I actually still have it but not sure if it still works!
Prior to that there was a Texas Instruments ti99a with speech synthesiser. Technically not mine as my Dad bought it.
That one is still working and used and he recently bought most of the external expansion boxes and cards for it.

This is the IIRC 20MB drive on my first PC ( http://www.aten-hosted.com/images/DSC00078S.jpg ) and that cost an absolute fortune at the time 286 with 2MB RAM and 800x600 full colour monitor was like 3 grand at the time. Was shared with family though - my first personal PC came later.

I upgraded my 1MB Ram to 2MB when I got win3.11. It cost me £70 and I had to go to a little trade unit in Stockport to pick it up.

Equivalent to £70,000 per GB :eek:

a Advent pc intel celeron in 99, 128mb ram 4 gig hard drive i paid extra was meant to come with a 2 gig drive. and a horrible looking crt monitor

looking back it was ugly as hell cost me 485 quid :eek:

Last edited:
BBC micro first (although not a pc :p)

My dad had 8086 or XT stuff that I dont remember
then a 286 convergent tower pc with orange monachrome monitor, playing MS flight simulator 3

then my brother had an IBM model 50 286, good for civ / wolfenstien etc

my personal first was a zeneth 286 that I used to play dune 2 on

Last edited:
I'm only counting IBM compatibles.

My first was an IBM PS/2 I think on a 386 processor but can't remember clearly. DOS 6.22 with Win 3.11
Next was a Pentium 120Mhz with 16MB (later upgraded to 32MB) of RAM. Win 98 (and later ME)
Then I had a Compaq Deskpro EN P3 1Ghz which was amazing for the time. (Windows 2000 - which was amazingly stable compared to Win 98/ME).

Back
Top Bottom