1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first PC spec?

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Vintage Computing' started by Thesnipergecko, Jul 5, 2018.

1. craigyhay

Associate

amstrad 464 complete with cassette reader that loved to take about ten minutes plus loading and then whine there was a read error

2. Lustral

Wise Guy

Circa 1993

Intel 486 DX-2 66Mhz eventually upgraded to a AMD DX-4 120Mhz , which didnt actually run at 120Mhz though due to the limitations of the motherboard.
    8Mb RAM upgraded to 16Mb RAM
    340Mb Western Digital Hard Drive
    SoundBlaster AWE-32 (That was a big card)
    1Mb S3 Graphics
    Dual Speed CD-ROM which was upgraded to a Quad Speed.

Ran DOOM , Heretic , IndyCar Racing and other games of that era quite well.

3. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Interesting thread. Absolutely loved my Amiga, but when I got my first PC and tried some demo games my mind was absolutely blown. One of the first being Jedi Knight Dark Forces II, it was like a whole new world for me. Then came games like Half Life that just blew my mind. With lots of problems at home it was an escape into another world.

I think my first PC (for school work of course!) was a Pentium 200 MMX, 4gb HDD, 16Mb ram (upgraded to 64Mb shortly after I think), some kind of 3D Rage Pro card I think (soon upgraded to Voodoo 2), 15" CRT. Shop bought. Frequently broken and on the phone to tech support due to my tinkering.

It really was a golden age of gaming. Lots of innovation, lots of expensive upgrades needed. I remember my first custom PC build and the first 1Ghz AMD chip that we had been desperately waiting for.

4. Mikeey

Associate

Can’t remember exact spec but my first pc only had 512k memory and I was always jealous of anyone who had 640k! Similarly it was only CGA and I had VGA envy!