What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Give SwissTime a quick Google. They were really inexpensive to do a full refurb for my vintage Seamaster. Not sure how much a Quartz refurb is but it couldn't be in safer hands going to SwissTime. I think they're Essex way.

Associate
Which one would people get:

Tudor Pelagos
Tudor Black Bay 58
Omega Seamaster
Brietling Navitimer

?
If buying new, go try them on. The case on the Tudor's is a bit of a slab and press me right off. The Seamasters are better in the metal than pictures but I'm not a big fan of the 300 post 80s.
I'd go for a Navi out of all of them but it's very personal and they are very different watches.

Soldato
One plus point is it's made me notice my pride and joy (gift for my 40th from mum and dad) Omega needs a new battery and probably a service. It's 8 years old and has only been away once for a new battery. Any suggestions on how to proceed as far as servicing? Just find a local guy?

Omega website says £360

I've had mine for 5 years. I had the battery replaced FOC when I took it back to the jewelers after 2 years. Omega said it needed a 'service' which was a similar price you mention, I argued it was only 2 years old and a quartz! They agreed to do it FOC as a 'gesture of good will' even refunded my £110 battery replacement cost.

I replaced the battery myself last year. I bought a decent strap removal tool and a generic tool to unscrew the back (oh and some more silicon grease for the o ring). I don't plan to go in the water with it any time soon.

Associate
haven't they just placed the 1 and 2 so the gap to the half circle cut out is even? if the two was moved up wouldn't it close the gap on that side due to the shape difference with the top of the one

No, it's been applied unevenly. They should be aligned at the bottom and you can see this is the case in their promo shots.

I'd be asking for a new one personally but if it doesn't bother the owner then it'll be barely noticeable at normal size.

Associate
I was horrified to find I accidentally put my recently-purchased CWC Mellor 72 through the wash a couple of weeks ago. Only realised when I heard a clanging sound. Crown broken off, whole thing a write-off.

I replaced it with the Hamilton Khaki Pilot Pioneer and, having now owned both, can confidently say the Hamilton feels significantly higher quality.- the dial, case and strap are all much nicer. I'm not convinced on the quality of the CWC - I had the issue with my first Mellor 72 developing condensation after walking in the rain having owned it for a week. And it was only in the washing machine for five minutes before I realised and stopped the wash - that was enough to knock the crown right off! I like how the Hamilton's crown is slightly recessed with the case acting as a crown guard.

While I am still annoyed at myself for being so careless I do much prefer the Hamilton so every cloud and all that.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I was horrified to find I accidentally put my recently-purchased CWC Mellor 72 through the wash a couple of weeks ago. Only realised when I heard a clanging sound. Crown broken off, whole thing a write-off.

I replaced it with the Hamilton Khaki Pilot Pioneer and, having now owned both, can confidently say the Hamilton feels significantly higher quality.- the dial, case and strap are all much nicer. I'm not convinced on the quality of the CWC - I had the issue with my first Mellor 72 developing condensation after walking in the rain having owned it for a week. And it was only in the washing machine for five minutes before I realised and stopped the wash - that was enough to knock the crown right off! I like how the Hamilton's crown is slightly recessed with the case acting as a crown guard.

While I am still annoyed at myself for being so careless I do much prefer the Hamilton so every cloud and all that.

Sometimes we make expensive mistakes :eek:

The Hamilton is stunning quality isn't it? I have every confidence that this will outlast me

Which strap did you go for? I also found a store that sells the ZuluDiver italian rubber one piece strap I bought from Watchgeko in other colours, so ordered a military green one for the Hamilton too. Neither Watchgecko or anywhere else have that strap in 18mm in any other colour other than black. IT is a brilliant single pass NATO but I really wanted it in military green so am glad I found it here: https://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-p18213h304s312-Watch-band-Athen-18m.html

They also have the Hirsch Pure in other colours so I have bookmarked the site for future strap purchases :cool:

Soldato
Registered my interest in the GMT II earlier today at my local AD. :) (Black/blue)

also went to go take a look at the Omega sea master planet ocean 600. Which I also really like (mainly because of the 39.5 size) looks great in blue, and I like that the back of the watch is clear/see through.

Soldato
Registered my interest in the GMT II earlier today at my local AD. :) (Black/blue)

also went to go take a look at the Omega sea master planet ocean 600. Which I also really like (mainly because of the 39.5 size) looks great in blue, and I like that the back of the watch is clear/see through.
Man I'm so jealous you are actually in a shop, lol. Where are you located?

Associate
No, it's been applied unevenly. They should be aligned at the bottom and you can see this is the case in their promo shots.

I'd be asking for a new one personally but if it doesn't bother the owner then it'll be barely noticeable at normal size.

My worry is if their promo shots show the same issue, they'll all have the same issue. There were only 500 made, so I imagine they were all made at a similar time, i.e. part of a batch, and have the same, well, fault.

My Omega has never been near a pool, bath, or shower, but I don't think I could open it up myself.

Soldato

Cool, let us know how long it takes.

Are you going to take something else if offered?

Do you have any other purchase history with your AD such as wife's jewellery?

Soldato
Cool, let us know how long it takes.

Are you going to take something else if offered?

Do you have any other purchase history with your AD such as wife's jewellery?
Will do :)

Id take a Milgauss or air king if either became available too. Quite like the look of the oyster perpetual with the blue face too. (In 36 or 41 would be good)

this would be my first watch. So no other purchase of any watch or jewellery. I wanted my first watch to be special so decided to try and see if I could get a GMT. I guess my back up plan is a sea master planet ocean 600. The GMT is my first choice though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Will do :)

Id take a Milgauss or air king if either became available too. Quite like the look of the oyster perpetual with the blue face too. (In 36 or 41 would be good)

this would be my first watch. So no other purchase of any watch or jewellery. I wanted my first watch to be special so decided to try and see if I could get a GMT. I guess my back up plan is a sea master planet ocean 600. The GMT is my first choice though.
If you do decide on the PO600 make sure you ask for a discount. You'll find a lot of the Omegas are on 0% finance so if you're funding yourself there is often wiggle room in the price!

I'm in a similar boat on Milgauss, AirKing or OP. Best of luck! Maybe being in the Chanel Islands will help your chances but who knows!

Soldato
If you do decide on the PO600 make sure you ask for a discount. You'll find a lot of the Omegas are on 0% finance so if you're funding yourself there is often wiggle room in the price!

I'm in a similar boat on Milgauss, AirKing or OP. Best of luck! Maybe being in the Chanel Islands will help your chances but who knows!
Thank you for the advice! I won’t be going the finance route, so some wiggle room on price would be great on the omega.

best of luck to you, too. They’re three stunning watches, it’s just such a shame that they’re in such short supply. Mine is a present for myself, which will be handed down to my son when he turns 21. (If I can get hold of one ! :D)

Associate
My worry is if their promo shots show the same issue, they'll all have the same issue. There were only 500 made, so I imagine they were all made at a similar time, i.e. part of a batch, and have the same, well, fault.
I don't think the promo shots do show the same fault, at least not the ones I've looked at.

Why are all the best Blancpains the Hodinkee LEs? I prefer the plainer bezel of the No Rad etc but that one is really very nice. Under £10k seems good too, £3k.less than the others so maybe not the usual Hodinkee tax.

Back
Top Bottom