What watch do you wear?

Associate
I've not seen anyone mention the Spinnaker 50 Phantoms on here - they did a v limited release last week of a ghost-themed 50 fathoms homage.

photos: https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hands-...nnaker-fleuss-seconde-seconde-fifty-phantoms/

Personally, I thought it looked fun, especially with the lume; but I also understand comments from some suggesting it's a joke watch that can only be worn around halloween. Also, the close-up photos don't suggest the highest level of finish - but it's arguably priced accordingly...

I just thought I'd give a heads up, for anyone that tried to get one and missed out, they've acknowledged issues with the limited launch and are now offering a blue version for 50 hours, starting this sat:
(yes, this probably screws with the resale value of the original one, but who cares about that...)

Associate
Come home from work last night to find out downstairs had been ransacked. Patio doors had been shattered. Glass everywhere. Screw driver in the side of the frame by the looks of it. Drawers on the sideboards all pulled out and all doors pulled open. Thrown all the contents on the floor. Weirdly our kettle was on the living room floor along with the kitchen sink bowl and a bottle of anti bacterial spray with the trigger pulled off. They have thrown it all at the remaining glass and door frame to cover their tracks. Carpet soaked.

This is the scary part. My mum was asleep upstairs at the time. I'm her carer. She has dementia. She was totally oblivious to the whole thing. They had definitely been upstairs as they left a trail of mud up the stairs. My bedroom light was also on. All my watches are in my bedroom in a watch box and I had one sitting on my side table. I don't know at what point they actually realised someone was actually in the house but for the life of me I cannot see anything missing. They were obviously shocked to see someone upstairs and scarpered. Clearly only after cash. They could have walked out with all my gaming pc's, Home theatre equipment, small items like my Sonos move and Alexa's but nothing............

I leave notes around the house to let my mum know where I am and what time I'm home. So they knew that at least. I had been off 5 days straight as our boiler had broken down and had to be home for the engineer to attend twice and the weekend in between. Then first day back to work and this happens. Makes you think you are being watched.
Anyway. Enough rambling. Just glad the old girl is fine and the added bonus that they don't seem to have actually got away with anything!!!

I have CCTV cameras and video doorbell sitting in the cupboard ready to fit. Was just waiting for black friday to pick up a cheap SSD for the base station. Typical. They didn't even steal them lol.

Associate
Come home from work last night to find out downstairs had been ransacked. Patio doors had been shattered. Glass everywhere. Screw driver in the side of the frame by the looks of it. Drawers on the sideboards all pulled out and all doors pulled open. Thrown all the contents on the floor. Weirdly our kettle was on the living room floor along with the kitchen sink bowl and a bottle of anti bacterial spray with the trigger pulled off. They have thrown it all at the remaining glass and door frame to cover their tracks. Carpet soaked.

This is the scary part. My mum was asleep upstairs at the time. I'm her carer. She has dementia. She was totally oblivious to the whole thing. They had definitely been upstairs as they left a trail of mud up the stairs. My bedroom light was also on. All my watches are in my bedroom in a watch box and I had one sitting on my side table. I don't know at what point they actually realised someone was actually in the house but for the life of me I cannot see anything missing. They were obviously shocked to see someone upstairs and scarpered. Clearly only after cash. They could have walked out with all my gaming pc's, Home theatre equipment, small items like my Sonos move and Alexa's but nothing............

I leave notes around the house to let my mum know where I am and what time I'm home. So they knew that at least. I had been off 5 days straight as our boiler had broken down and had to be home for the engineer to attend twice and the weekend in between. Then first day back to work and this happens. Makes you think you are being watched.
Anyway. Enough rambling. Just glad the old girl is fine and the added bonus that they don't seem to have actually got away with anything!!!

I have CCTV cameras and video doorbell sitting in the cupboard ready to fit. Was just waiting for black friday to pick up a cheap SSD for the base station. Typical. They didn't even steal them lol.

Bummer, glad everyone's OK. We had a spate of thefts a couple of years back in our area. The tealeaves were fence-jumping the neighbourhood back gardens looking for opportunities and ransacked the house of a lady a few doors down that had just moved in.

Police reckoned thieves won't touch any tech these days- anything that has any chance of being traced. Cash and maybe gold/jewels and that's it. And don't kick yourself about the cameras- they wert through our garden and we had pretty clear footage of them, but the Police were pretty honest in that they were interested to see it, but wouldn't follow up with anything like facial recognition.

The main result was that the wife went and spent over £10K of our savings on 4-inch thick security doors! No watches or toys that year :cry:

Caporegime
Speedmaster Reduced and Seamaster Pre Bond.

Speedy Pro is just a bit outside of my budget at the moment, but I'm happy with this for now. I don't have the largest of wrists either so it fits pretty well. We'll see next year... :)

omega.jpg

Soldato
Any Sinn owners here? Contemplating pulling the trigger on one. Only downside is the lack of dealers and being able to see them in the flesh.
Not an owner but have toyed with the idea and seen plenty in the flesh, they’re absolutely cracking watches, built far better than many luxury brands such as Tudor, Rolex and Omega.

There’s a few Sinns on my list to procure.

Associate
Not an owner but have toyed with the idea and seen plenty in the flesh, they’re absolutely cracking watches, built far better than many luxury brands such as Tudor, Rolex and Omega.

I think i need to go on a Sinn pilgrimage theres a dealers in Coventry which is only an hour on the train from London.

Soldato
Any Sinn owners here? Contemplating pulling the trigger on one. Only downside is the lack of dealers and being able to see them in the flesh.

Built like tanks, the one I had was quite heavy feeling, filled with oil ( yes it really was full of oil, they call it Hydro )

But I have a 7 inch wrist and the watch with its native rubber strap seemed to be designed for a larger wrist, the rubber just did not hug my wrist properly and add the weight to it and it felt awkward and uncomfortable to me.

Associate
Built like tanks, the one I had was quite heavy feeling, filled with oil ( yes it really was full of oil, they call it Hydro )

But I have a 7 inch wrist and the watch with its native rubber strap seemed to be designed for a larger wrist, the rubber just did not hug my wrist properly and add the weight to it and it felt awkward and uncomfortable to me.

40mm is about as big as i can go due to my wrist size. So that rules quite a few models out. The one I’m interested in is the 856 s on a tanned leather strap.

Associate

I absolutely love my Sinn U1 but built better than Tudor, Rolex and Omega? I own all of those brands and they are on another level of finish. Especially movements. Sinn for the price though is excellent. Although I wish they would stop using the cheap stamped metal clasps. The Sellita movement is a tried and tested work horse but nothing to get excited about. I do love the Lego style hands on the U1. Just a bit different from everything else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom