What watch do you wear?

Associate
Managed to pick up a moonswatch on the weekend, it's as plastic as it looks but I quite like it. Standard strap is awful so replaced it with a Nato strap I had from another watch. Looks much better imo

I do kind of like these but I just can't bring myself to drop that kind of money on a plastic throw away quartz. (so you know that means I will still probably end up buying one anyway lol)

Associate
Actually thinking about it I kind of just did buy something similar for my brother for christmas. A D1 Milano Sketch. They seem to be all the rage on the TZ forum right now

Last edited:
Associate
I do kind of like these but I just can't bring myself to drop that kind of money on a plastic throw away quartz. (so you know that means I will still probably end up buying one anyway lol)

I can't believe people paid overs for these when they came out. I think it's just about justified at retail price. It may end up costing me a lot more because it really makes me want to get the real version

Soldato
My other half sent me to the Moonswatch website, asking me what I think. I'm assuming either she or her parents are thinking of getting my one for Christmas (she was back in France visiting her parents when she sent it). I own a couple of nice automatics, a Tag Heuer Carrera and a Oris Williams F1 team skeleton but I think these Moonswatches look pretty cool.

So the casing is supposed to be Bioceramic whatever that means (they talk Bioceramic on the website next to close up of the case), feels like plastic?

Soldato
Ha! I'm sure they can't have something more durable for that price with Omega branding. I like the look of the Mercury, earth (the blue on green is a little different) and Pluto ones. Is yours Moon? Moon was also one I narrowed down to buy my Tag is a similar colour with a black face.

Associate
Ha! I'm sure they can't have something more durable for that price with Omega branding. I like the look of the Mercury, earth (the blue on green is a little different) and Pluto ones. Is yours Moon? Moon was also one I narrowed down to buy my Tag is a similar colour with a black face.
Yeah mines the moon, mercury is very similar just a darker case I think. I narrowed it down to Moon, mercury or Neptune and moon was the only one of those 3 in stock so that's the one I got

Soldato
My Seamaster 300m is due it's first service around now, have the turnaround times always been absolutely crazy? Iirc they quoted something like 22 weeks :eek:

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
My Seamaster 300m is due it's first service around now, have the turnaround times always been absolutely crazy? Iirc they quoted something like 22 weeks :eek:

Does it have to be there for that whole time or can they say "hey, we will be able to do yours in the next 2 weeks so send it in now".

Soldato

Not omega but I recently had to get one of my longines serviced and through my local jeweller they said it would be three months but I got it back after two. The jeweller certainly suggested with higher end brands being 6 months without your watch wasn't unheard of. Have you checked the omega website to see if they have a different time frame from what you've been quoted? Might give you an insight if the times have slipped?

Associate
I've more or less made my mind up to get this (but with leather strap) after a couple of hours in watches of Switzerland looking at pretty much every brand going :p:

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/IWC-Portugieser-Chronograph-41mm-IW371620/p/17810775

I think the portugieser is a nice middle ground between sporty and dressy, good for casual wear in the office and formal stuff. I'm going to go back in next weekend and attempt to negotiate the price a bit, hoping for 10-15% but lets see what they can do.

Caporegime
I never service my watches, all are fine and keep good time. By the time it actually needs servicing the warranty will have long expired anyway.

Soldato
Does it have to be there for that whole time or can they say "hey, we will be able to do yours in the next 2 weeks so send it in now".

It needs to be with them for the whole time I think.

Not omega but I recently had to get one of my longines serviced and through my local jeweller they said it would be three months but I got it back after two. The jeweller certainly suggested with higher end brands being 6 months without your watch wasn't unheard of. Have you checked the omega website to see if they have a different time frame from what you've been quoted? Might give you an insight if the times have slipped?

Just digged out the email from them (the local Omega Boutique and the nearest service centre) and it's 16-22 weeks. Website didn't really offer much further information unfortunately.

Soldato
Surely when the warranty's expired is exactly when you'd want a watch serviced and lubed rather than grinding itself to dust?
Citation required for watches out of warranty grinding themselves to dust :rolleyes:

Bonus points if they are dust and a service doesn't completely overhaul them, so the dust is vacuumed out and new bits put in.

Associate
First ever Citizen and unless someone told me, I would never know it was Solar powered, it just works. The lume is on another level, it's awesome! Ignore the date and time, which are still out of sync. :o

I was going to buy the green Commando version; ended up plumping for the safer blue and it's really grown on me.

Xs8E7vp.png

Associate
Citation required for watches out of warranty grinding themselves to dust :rolleyes:

Bonus points if they are dust and a service doesn't completely overhaul them, so the dust is vacuumed out and new bits put in.
Noo, not saying wear has anything to do with warranty. But modern watch lubes evaporate rather than gum up, so modern movements tend to keep running even without servicing, albeit with accelerated wear.

Soldato
First ever Citizen and unless someone told me, I would never know it was Solar powered, it just works. The lume is on another level, it's awesome! Ignore the date and time, which are still out of sync. :o

I was going to buy the green Commando version; ended up plumping for the safer blue and it's really grown on me.

Xs8E7vp.png
Cannot unsee underpants :D

Back
Top Bottom