What watch do you wear?

Associate
This is the selection I actively wear. Not a patch on the value of some of the collections here- the Seiko is the most valuable, but I like either a functional beater watch, or something a little niche/different. Missing is my original 80s Tag F1- currently on the wife's wrist, and another Skyhawk Titanium which I'm refurbishing as it was the wife's wedding present. I do like them but they're properly fragile! The Stainless one here was bought as a non-runner for parts, but it was in much better condition than anticipated, so I tarted it up and got it running.

Honestly my favourite "wear it/forget it" watch is the leftmost Citizen, left to me by my Dad. Capacitor lasts 10+ years, always correct to the second and virtually indestructible.

All I really hanker after now is a Spring Drive, I have a gap for something properly dressy..... Oh and since that would mean an 8 slot case, some sort of Auto Chrono also... ;)

watches3.jpg

Soldato
Just seen this video and I can't make out if Ed Sheeran is a genius or mental. His collection is mad and some of the one off's are aswell. He seems to beat the poo out of all of them lol. Nice if you have the money.

Only caught a bit of this, but his Patek where he has swapped London to for his hometown is badass lol.

Associate
I haven't bought a new watch for quite a few years now but been eyeing up a potential IWC portugieser purchase. Never had an IWC before, does anyone know what sort of discount is likely to be available at a dealer? Or is it more rolex 'the price is the price' style?

Soldato
Yeah prices seem to have gone a bit mad.

I paid £2760 for my BB58 - now £3,350
I paid £2770 for my Seamaster - now £4195
I paid £3800 for my Speedy - now £6600!!!

At those prices, I don't think I would have ever bothered.

Last edited:
Associate

Omega seems to have the most egregious increases, a new Seamaster is actually >£5k now! I paid ~£2400 for mine I think.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah watch prices are getting a little out of hand. 60-70% increase in prices over a few years is taking the wee. I have been watching some videos over the past few weeks as I am after an everyday diver and the reviews from a few years ago stating prices makes you realise that most brands have stuck their prices up by 30% or more in a couple of years.

Soldato

its the lower tier brands as well, Oris had one hell of a price hike at some point. The pro pilots were £1250 odd and i looked the other day and they are £1800 now.

They are a nice watch that were just about worth £1250 but fairly near £2000 and probably headed for £2K plus in the future, not a chance on earth.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
its the lower tier brands as well, Oris had one hell of a price hike at some point. The pro pilots were £1250 odd and i looked the other day and they are £1800 now.

They are a nice watch that were just about worth £1250 but fairly near £2000 and probably headed for £2K plus in the future, not a chance on earth.

Once brands get a little recognition they usually pump their prices. 20% you could perhaps justify over the past 2 years. 60%? No

It's certainly putting me off buying any more watches :(

The truth is, its supply and demand so there are obviously lots of people still buying them or they wouldn't be raising their prices so much.

Associate
The prices are starting to come back to reality in the second hand market

While I'm waiting for prices to become a bit more sensible I've been looking at watches from some of the smaller brands that actually offer some value for money eg Chris Ward, Baltic, Farer, Sternglas,

Associate
Managed to pick up a moonswatch on the weekend, it's as plastic as it looks but I quite like it. Standard strap is awful so replaced it with a Nato strap I had from another watch. Looks much better imo

Back
Top Bottom