What watch do you wear?

I've also got my eye on this one:
Seiko SBGX061

It's a tough choice for that kind of money...

So far I like the Omega Planet Ocean and the Seiko above...

Obviously price wise I'd rather go for the seiko as it's a huge difference between them!

opinions?

As nice as the Planet Ocean is, personally I'd be looking for something a bit more unique/special. I see an awful lot of PO's and if I was spending that much on a watch, I'd want something a little more unique.

As nice as the Planet Ocean is, personally I'd be looking for something a bit more unique/special. I see an awful lot of PO's and if I was spending that much on a watch, I'd want something a little more unique.

Same reason I didn't really look into them that much either and why I just had to have the Longines when I saw it as it stands out, has a unique look, is rarer and that makes it a bit more special even if it isn't as expensive.

I'd love to own the Tag Monaco as well one day.

One day...

Do you guys like the grand seiko i posted? I am leaning more on that one because of the price and also i think looks smart.

Or you wouldnt spend that much on a grand seiko quarts watch?

Any suggestions for something similar in the £1500 range? What brands should I be looking at?

Do you guys like the grand seiko i posted? I am leaning more on that one because of the price and also i think looks smart.

Any suggestions for something similar in the £1500 range? What brands should I be looking at?

if your willing to pay that sort of money i'd go for this

3807120361_3130e7c602.jpg

Last edited:
The new 'Orient Star Standard Date' looks really nice for those wanting a classic looking watch but not wanting to pay extreme amounts:
Aye very nice, it was the black version that actually caught my eye as I prefer it's face pattern. Iirc these are also using a new glass coating that's meant to reduce glare and add a little more protection. Really nice piece for the cost (in the lower price scale of the OS range).

Do you guys like the grand seiko i posted? Im leaning more on that one because of the price and also i think looks smart.

Couldn't spend £1500 on any quartz watch regardless of brand (and I 'really' like the Seiko tuna can range).

What type of watch are you after in terms of styling? Dress/diver/sporty?

I really like the seiko because ot looks smart. For me mechanics aside it looks smarter than the omega PO.

What i want is a watch that i can wear on a suit, so a bit smart. But also good anough to wear on jeans and polo shirt.

Ideas?

have you seen a grand seiko in the flesh? go check it out...theyre lovely.

not sure about buying a quartz tho :o

Is the chronometer rating of +6 / -4 seconds per day or 24 hours?

In 12 hours my new seamaster has gained 3 seconds

I am using this site to compare time - http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=136

It's a 24 hour period. The COSC testing:

COSC tests movements at their barest functional level, although brands can enter movements with as many complications as they like. As all the movements are wound by the crown, automatics have to leave their rotors behind because the machine that turns the crown would damage the highly geared winding mechanism. Most of the mechanical watches tested by COSC become automatics.

Each movement is fitted with a COSC standard dial, seconds-hand (sweep or small) and winding crown. Every 24 hours, an electronic camera records the state of the seconds-hand to the nearest tenth of a millisecond compared to the atomic reference clock. The camera shoots twice in succession to check whether the movement has stopped. Then the movement is rewound and returned to the appropriate position and temperature for the next 24-hour period. This goes on for 16 consecutive periods.

More:

http://people.timezone.com/library/wbore/wbore631733384647656250

The variation is based on a number of factors including position of the watch and temperature.

From what I've read +3 seconds is good and you should just leave the watch to do it's own thing.

The average daily rate for an automatic according to COSC rates is −4/+6.

With that in mind, many watches that aren't chronometer certified are still well within the grade so being certified doesn't really mean that much in the grand scheme of things.

I sync mine with an Oregon Scientific radio controlled clock (need to replace it actually with a better featured one).

A quartz should not lose or gain time per day really. A good one will be accurate to ~10sec per year, Seiko anyway. My Tissot quartz didn't lose or gain a single second over 3 months.

Last edited:
Is the chronometer rating of +6 / -4 seconds per day or 24 hours?

In 12 hours my new seamaster has gained 3 seconds

I am using this site to compare time - http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=136

On the face of it +3 in half a day is at the high end of tolerance levels but probably nothing to be worried about. It will depend on a number of different factors but, since it is a new watch, it would be worth monitoring just in case. My Seamaster is around +/-1 per day but, if I recall correctly, it wasn't so accurate at first and took a little time to settle down.

On the face of it +3 in half a day is at the high end of tolerance levels but probably nothing to be worried about. It will depend on a number of different factors but, since it is a new watch, it would be worth monitoring just in case. My Seamaster is around +/-1 per day but, if I recall correctly, it wasn't so accurate at first and took a little time to settle down.

Mine is the 002 model (now discontinued I believe) I suppose if it hasnt been running for a while it alter it

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster/300-m-diver-chronometer/21230412001002

I take it the sauna, cold showers, running etc is fine for it. I go in sauna / steam room 5 times a week

Looking to get my first ever watch! Always been put off by them since I have girl sized wrists (7" circumference).

I prefer the leather straps and probably dark brown. I want something simple, but "trendy".

Not sure if this is the right place to ask for advice, as you seem more into the technical side of watches than the designer side? But guide me in the right direction if this is a stupid purchase?

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-fossil-machine-chronograph-watch-fs4777-p99954637.html

Looking to get my first ever watch! Always been put off by them since I have girl sized wrists (7" circumference).

I prefer the leather straps and probably dark brown. I want something simple, but "trendy".

Not sure if this is the right place to ask for advice, as you seem more into the technical side of watches than the designer side? But guide me in the right direction if this is a stupid purchase?

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-fossil-machine-chronograph-watch-fs4777-p99954637.html

Have you tried that Fossil on at all? Your wrist size is almost the same as mine and we have a Fossil store next to the office, I'll take a look at that and see how it fits although I will say that for my wrist a 39mm watch is a perfect size.

45mm is quite large for 7" wrists, mine are a fraction under 7" and my largest watch is 42 which looks quite big on me

my daily is 42 (including the crown) 40 without and i think its a lovely size.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom