What watch do you wear?

Not a brilliant picture, taken at my desk but it's a Bell & Ross BR-01-94

tnwj.jpg

Last edited:
No camera with me, but this SLENDER and SEXY beast. I love it, I tried on 55 watches in one day with my best mates, both are watch buffs. Initially, the first watch I tried on which is the watch I wanted, I hated. I have never worn a watch until now.

It's been a part of me for a few weeks and I love it :D

http://www.britishwatchcompany.com/mens-black-leather-strap-watch-p5970

It's so light, so thin. :D

Which ones did you try on, out of curiousity?

Cosimo; I'm trying!

I've not stopped wearing the Tudor really for the last week. I think the Mrs thinks it's my seiko as that's the only other bracelet I have lol but I love it's subtlety, which is something I didn't think I'd say, with the others being such beasts in size. Behind the Longines (sentimental value on that) this is defo up there with my favs.

Can I ask a serious question?

Whats the appeal? A watch is a watch right? I like that Seiko but what is with people selling watches and getting others? Is it a status thing?

Cheers

Fancy a change, really.
Trading up as well. I got a great deal on both zeno's and the omega, so selling these, I should then be able to get the AT I want, without a further dent.

Can I ask a serious question?

Whats the appeal? A watch is a watch right? I like that Seiko but what is with people selling watches and getting others? Is it a status thing?

Cheers

For me, I go backpacking a lot. And something that always annoys me is I always have to dig out my phone and find the time. Which in places like Asia could be an issue, using phone battery just to find the time. And I use public transport all the time abroad. So having a watch was needed. I wanted something sturdy and light. It works perfectly for that, as that's its only function lol.

Which ones did you try on, out of curiousity?

Cosimo; I'm trying!

I've not stopped wearing the Tudor really for the last week. I think the Mrs thinks it's my seiko as that's the only other bracelet I have lol but I love it's subtlety, which is something I didn't think I'd say, with the others being such beasts in size. Behind the Longines (sentimental value on that) this is defo up there with my favs.

Dude... I honestly couldn't tell you, I tried on so many watches. Like I said, it went from the WW2 pilots design type of watches, to big HUGE bulky watches. At this point, I was sick and tired of trying out watches that looked like the fascia for a space shuttle. I told my mates (who like those watches) that it wasn't working.

Then the shop assistant suggested trying on a 'gentlemens' watch, slim, lights and simplistic. And to me, in all fairness, I have always liked a simple design on a watch. No need for dials or all of that.

then after a tonne of other watches, I found the Boccia, tried a few of them on, love the feel of them being so thin.

When he then told me it had sapphire glass and a titanium body, I was pretty much sold. It will last against a few knocks, won't scratch easily and generally look smart in all occasions. Not look like I'm wearing a launch panel on my arm lol.

Seen a few drooling's over the Omega Seamaster...Is it because its 5K? or is there another reason?

Seamasters are very popular and bulletproof time pieces. Not because one is 5K but because they’re built well, come well specced and last as many were bought a decade+ ago and still look great (my colleague's) - They were cheaper then too (he paid £1500 for his).

They might not be to everyone’s liking, I’m not a fan really because they’re too common and the immediate choice for many hence why I chose I different watch with more unique styling but I do respect the brand and model for what it is.

Edit*
Reads to me like you want to spend serious money on a watch but are trying to convince yourself as to why you shouldn't (price).

Last edited:
I prefer the aqua terra, and having worn it, it's a really really nice watch. The feel and quality of it, is fantastic. It's just a really really nice piece. I didn't like the titanium PO as it felt too light. Obviously, it's titanium, but I preferred the weight on the AT.

Price aside, that is. I tried on the IWC Spitfire, and preferred the AT to that as well, and the IWC was 9.5k.

Seen a few drooling's over the Omega Seamaster...Is it because its 5K? or is there another reason?

I paid £2050 for my Seamaster pro (black wave dial) I dont know much about watches really but when I put it on I almost bought it there and then.

A few years ago they were selling for £1700 retail - now selling at £2500 retail

I would rather have something nice and the possibility of it going up in price (or dropping a few hundred in 10 years) than an ISA with a crappy interest rate

Here's mine - I did look at the Planet Ocean but I think it would look too big on my wrist and is about 3k more expensive. The bezel looks easier to rotate as has more grip and is ceramic, other than that i'm not too sure what it offers over the one I have (below)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24350654&postcount=4616

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24367003&postcount=4681

Last edited:

It's a well built, understated, timeless design, wears with anything from a business suit to a wetsuit, holds its value, and is a premium product at a lower than premium price...RRP of a Sea-master Professional is £2770 and there is the also the obvious kudos.

I wear mine every day and it is by far the best watch I have ever owned.

It's a well built, understated, timeless design, wears with anything from a business suit to a wetsuit, holds its value, and is a premium product at a lower than premium price...RRP of a Sea-master Professional is £2770 and there is the also the obvious kudos.

I wear mine every day and it is by far the best watch I have ever owned.

It has the same design as a lot of diver watches that costs 10% of that.

For example...random video I just found by putting "Seiko Deep sea" into google

At a glance, for a layman, it's hard to tell.

Yes they are different in detail but who can tell what is what while you are standing 30 feet away doing a presentation on the latest company projection forecast on the other side of the room in your suit or under the sea in zero visibility in the muddy water of the Thames?

I still take the view that whilst the workmanship can be appreciated, a HUGE percentage for the reason buying a premium watch like this is the name and name alone.

Seiko sells £2k watches too...but does anyone actually buy them? Or do they spend £2k on a Omega?

i.e.

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...007j1-se-001?gclid=CJSfxI6sxrgCFTMQtAodSUcAeQ

Would you? Really?

There is a snob in all of us, i am not ashamed to admit that I would never spend £4,500 on a Seiko, I would buy a Rolex instead if it has to be one or the other, even if it costs £300 to service and it loses time like a sieve...the name/brand is the attraction here.

Last edited:
^A man shouldn't be buying a watch based on what he wants other people to think in a presentation meeting or any other setting. It should be based on what he thinks of it, how it looks every time he raises his wrist to look at the time and how it feels when worn.

Any other reason is the wrong reason I'm afraid.

I know there are people who buy expensive watches just because of the brand and price in order to brand whore in the same way some people only buy designer clothing because of what other people will think when they see those clothes.

It has the same design as a lot of diver watches that costs 10% of that.

With 10% of the quality in most cases, particularly with regard Movements... and the video is a Rolex and Seiko....not an Omega. Also the detail is important if you like the style and design of a particular watch, what someone 30 ft away thinks is immaterial, at least to me.

I wouldn't buy the Rolex because I don't like the look of it, I own a Seiko already and its really nowhere near as nice as my Seamaster, I own a Casio WR200 as well, and likewise it simply isn't as good to wear as the Omega. £2k is not a lot of money to pay for a piece of practical jewellery, which is what a watch is after all.

People buy a watch for lots of reasons, no doubt kudos (as I mentioned) is one of those, but many buy premium because they want quality and associate that quality with the brand they choose.

Last edited:
^A man shouldn't be buying a watch based on what he wants other people to think in a presentation meeting or any other setting. It should be based on what he thinks of it, how it looks every time he raises his wrist to look at the time and how it feels when worn.

Indeed.

^^^ you are making my point :p

mrk, how it looks when you raise your wrist.

How it look to who? to you or to someone else? I raise my wrist to look at the time, i don't really raise my wrist to look at the watch at work/train/plane/car/cinema/party to admire it's workmanship. As for how it feels, i guess if they weight the same, they all feel the same. i can't really feel on my wrist the movement inside nor the name written on the face of the watch.

I don't really sit there thinking..."oooh, I have an Omega on my wrist." ?

Back
Top Bottom