What watch do you wear?

You've missed the complete point of what myself and others have posted immediately above Raymond. The reason for that is exactly as you've said, you look at your watch only to tell the time, you don't care for how it's built or feels. The same way someone buys a car like a basic Corsa, they just want a car and not the driving pleasure of something that offers a more rewarding experience going from A to B.

Why would you ever have that over this?

http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...ch/co-axial-chronograph-4425-mm/3113044500100

The Omega is also cheaper

Hmm, something is not right here!

Last edited:
Define this "pleasure".

In a car you can physically feel it.

How it turns the corner.
The leather seats.
The suspension.
The steering feed back.
The luxury features like climate control.
The reliability that it comes with.
The warranty the manufacturer provides.
The lack of road noise

etc etc.

and The brand.

So, what pleasure? What extra pleasure from a watch that you can get from a £2,000 one and not a £200 one? I'd like to know...seriously, i like to know. It is metal on skin.

Do you really sit there and think to yourself "ooooh, I own an Omega!"? and then feel all fuzzy inside?

Is it like buying art? Because I can understand that !

But then I like my art to be one of a kind or limited release, not something that 1,000 or 10,000 people can buy too just because they have the money.

Last edited:
Define this "pleasure".

How it turns the corner.
The leather seats.
The suspension.
The steering feed back.
The lack of road noise

etc etc.

and The brand.

So, what pleasure? What extra pleasure from a watch that you can get from a £2,000 one and not a £200 one? I'd like to know...seriously, i like to know.

Maybe its understanding how its made and what of. I'm not a big car person, you sit in one and drive places. However I would like a Ferrari because of how its built, the quality of the parts etc. over say a Micra

Yes, the Micra gets the job done, but is not the same

All this helps if you understand watches, movements and how they are made.

Last edited:
Maybe its understanding how its made and what of. I'm not a big car person, you sit in one and drive places. However I would like a Ferrari because of how its built, the quality of the parts etc. over say a Micra

Yes, the Micra gets the job done, but is not the same

Judging from Top Gear, you want an Audi > Ferrari if want quality construction :p lol

Then again on Top Gear, they also concluded that they all choose the Ferrari, because it is a Ferrari, even though the Audi basically won (or joint top) all the tests !

Define this "pleasure".

How it turns the corner.
The leather seats.
The suspension.
The steering feed back.
The lack of road noise

etc etc.

and The brand.

So, what pleasure? What extra pleasure from a watch that you can get from a £2,000 one and not a £200 one? I'd like to know...seriously, i like to know. It is metal on skin.

It's the feel, the look, the weight, the style, the way the second hand sweeps, the quality of the piece, the detail of the face, the way it wears and sits on your wrist, the investment and so on....

It is no different from buying any other piece of jewellery, you buy it for the aesthetics as much as for anything else.

Ferrari probably paid them to make it win

I dont want to make this just about Omega watches but the manual movement is quite fascinating...

Last edited:
It's the feel, the look, the weight, the style, the way the second hand sweeps, the quality of the piece, the detail of the face, the way it wears and sits on your wrist, the investment and so on....

It is no different from buying any other piece of jewellery, you buy it for the aesthetics as much as for anything else.

So all these are visual pleasure mostly, which whilst I can appreciate, i just can't help to think that is is not unique, not unique enough anyway. Any mug can walk into the store to buy the same watch, that to me, devalue the watch to some degree.

Also, you keep mentioning investment...

Can I ask you, how much are you expect the value to increase in say 10 years? is it enough to say...pay for a holiday to NYC and do you plan to sell it as like all investment, you invest to make money, it is the whole purpose of investing in something.

If selling it to make money is not on your agenda then why do people keep mentioning it keeping its value and "investment". I can't help but think that it is a merely an excuse/justification to yourself, telling yourself that it is okay you have spent £3,000 on this watch because you can always get most of the money back if you want to.

And call that "investment".

Can I call spending £20 on a Casio watch an investment too? with £2,980 still in my account. :D

Last edited:
You get something nice that holds its value reasonably well - better than it sitting in the bank earning a few quid a year

I also have a £7 Casio. Its great

So all these are visual pleasure mostly, which whilst I can appreciate, i just can't help to think that is is not unique, not unique enough anyway. Any mug can walk into the store to buy the same watch, that to me, devalue the watch to some degree.

Also, you keep mentioning investment...

Can I ask you, how much are you expect the value to increase in say 10 years? is it enough to say...pay for a holiday to NYC and do you plan to sell it as like all investment, you invest to make money, it is the whole purpose of investing in something.

If selling it to make money is not on your agenda then why do people keep mentioning it keeping its value and "investment". I can't help but think that it is a merely a justification to yourself, telling yourself that it is okay you have spent £3,000 on this watch because you can always get most of the money back if you want to.

And call that "investment".

Can I call spending £20 on a Casio watch an investment too? with £2,980 still in my account. :D

Do you have some kind of irrational problem with why people buy the things they do? You need to call people mugs because they buy a certain thing that you don't appreciate yourself?

Buy a Casio for £350 and in a few years it will be worth £50... Buy an Omega for £2k and in a few years it will still be worth £2k. My watch will be passed down to my boy, it was, as evidenced in this forum when I asked for advice, one of the reasons I bought such a watch..that is the investment, to me. To you it may well be different and you want to give your son £3k minus the cost of a Casio....each to their own.

And I justify my purchases by my personal choices, mainly I buy what I like, the cost is what it is...probably just like you do..you don't want to spend £2k on a watch...that's cool, don't. I don't want to spend £2k on DSLR Camera...a £200 SCS Camera does the same job for me....however I wouldn't criticise you for your choices as they suit you, whereas mine suit me.

As for being unique....I cannot afford unique, perhaps you can, and if so, enjoy.

Last edited:

Do you really sit there and think to yourself "ooooh, I own an Omega!"? and then feel all fuzzy inside?

But then I like my art to be one of a kind or limited release, not something that 1,000 or 10,000 people can buy too just because they have the money.

You understand the intricacies of art buying and how a piece of art can be exclusive to its buyer, the buyer will feel the quality because it's unique and substantial to them but not something else that's equally material like a watch?

You don't need to compare a £200 one to a £2000 one either, the margin can be much tighter. I have had a ~£200 watch and now have one that cost ~4x more. By your reasoning you could argue that it's not telling the time 4x more accurately, you'd be right with that.

But... it's built to a higher standard, it feels much nicer against the skin, the solid 316L stainless steel is heavy and the machining is what you'd expect from a high quality watch, the bezel clicks are more reassuring, the seconds hand sweeps smoother and I know the movement beating away inside the casing is robust and well regarded and is also used in bigger brand watches that cost ~4x more than this in turn.

Above all else, as Castiel has noted above, the value will still be held years down the line.

THIS ARGUMENT AGAIN OMG.

I guess Raymond will never understand why some people like quality/luxury items as much as some people will never understand why a grown man would buy Taylor Swift merchandise.

Last edited:
Its your money and you buy what you like, the reasoning however on "investment" holds no water.

£350 casio may be worth £50. £2,000 Omega may be worth £2,000....after how many service at how much?

I understand passing something nice to your children, but that is totally different. (and changing the goal posts to your argument).

This all started because you said

It's a well built, understated, timeless design, wears with anything from a business suit to a wetsuit

Which I posted just to say that the design is copied ALL over. Nothing more and that people buy it mostly because of the brand.

But then you argued that buying a watch is how it makes you feel, how you can look at it and makes you go all fuzzy inside, then you argued how it is an investment, now you say it will form part of an inheritance.

Who knew there are so many criteria of buying a watch ! lol

Perhaps "mug" is the wrong choice of word, but the point still stands on who I think it devalues it because anyone on the street can buy the exact same watch you have...each one is a replica of another.

Isnt this the same with anything?

£5 Tesco torch lights things up, however I have a Nitecore for £40. Some pay hundreds
£5 PC speakers play music, I choose to have a NAD amp and B&W speakers
£50 compact camera takes photos, so does a £2k camera.

All these things do the same job, but better (and are better built and look/feel nicer)

But a better watch does not tell better time.

Or does it?

Buying it because on how it looks? There are cheaper alternative.
Buying it to tell accurate time? There are cheaper alternative.

However. Like i said. If you buy it like art or jewellery i would get it. Totally get it. Buying something nice for yourself, THAT too I get. I even understand if people buy it for the brand ! There is no shame in that. Hell, I am guilty as anyone on brand influence.

Investment? making a few hundred quid after owning it for 25 years isn't exactly what i call a good return.

Last edited:
What a pointless point. I have many watches I like, some worth a few pounds, some worth a few hundred, one worth quite a lot more (and not far off twice what it was bought for but clearly watches can't be an investment). I have many watches I made/assembled to differing degrees.

Some of the perceived value with purchased watches is marketing smoke and mirrors, some is detailed craftsmanship and materials. When you get in to in-house movement territory there is real time put into watches during manufacture. Whether you agree that a piece of jewellery (yeah, I went there!) has a value or not, surely you see the value in people's time, people's skilled use of their time?

Its your money and you buy what you like, the reasoning however on "investment" holds no water.

£350 casio may be worth £50. £2,000 Omega may be worth £2,000....after how many service at how much?

I understand passing something nice to your children, but that is totally different. (and changing the goal posts to your argument).

This all started because you said

Which I posted just to say that the design is copied ALL over. Nothing more and that people buy it mostly because of the brand.

But then you argued that buying a watch is how it makes you feel, how you can look at it and makes you go all fuzzy inside, then you argued how it is an investment, now you say it will form part of an inheritance.

Who knew there are so many criteria of buying a watch ! lol

Perhaps "mug" is the wrong choice of word, but the point still stands on who I think it devalues it because anyone on the street can buy the exact same watch you have...each one is a replica of another.

To you perhaps different brands are a replica of each other..however to me those differences inherent in each make the difference...and no, I haven't changed anything..simply explained and as the discussion as grown expanded on why I bought as I did, which include the reasons you quoted. Do I care that someone can buy the same watch as I can? Tbh, I haven't even thought about it...why would I? If I worried about that, I wouldn't buy anything.

I don't know why you need to be so negative about something you clearly have no interest in...perhaps I should enter the photography sub forum and start criticising people's choice of Camera equipment as it hold no interest to me and therefore less value? But, hey ho...that's just not my gig, live and let live.

Isnt this the same with anything?

£5 Tesco torch lights things up, however I have a Nitecore for £40. Some pay hundreds
£5 PC speakers play music, I choose to have a NAD amp and B&W speakers
£50 compact camera takes photos, so does a £2k camera.

All these things do the same job, but better (and are better built and look/feel nicer)

Those are bad examples TBH.

Some people want to buy something that lasts, that's what the investment is. They've invested in a quality timepiece that will last as long as they want it to.

Buy a Fossil watch and it might last a few years, then you buy another, maybe over 20 years or so you've spent 2k on fashion watches but in reality you've wasted that money because none of those are built to last. Instead, 20 years on a Seamaster will be working perfectly and will look good if cared for (not carried around in cotton wool obviously), with a lot of it's value intact.

Some of it is marketing BS, it's part of a lifestyle that people buy into, same with 'designer' clothes like Hollister and Superdry which aren't all that better quality wise over Next or Primark.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom