What watch do you wear?

What a pointless point. I have many watches I like, some worth a few pounds, some worth a few hundred, one worth quite a lot more (and not far off twice what it was bought for but clearly watches can't be an investment). I have many watches I made/assembled to differing degrees.

Some of the perceived value with purchased watches is marketing smoke and mirrors, some is detailed craftsmanship and materials. When you get in to in-house movement territory there is real time put into watches during manufacture. Whether you agree that a piece of jewellery (yeah, I went there!) has a value or not, surely you see the value in people's time, people's skilled use of their time?

Exactly...Skidder to the rescue.

after how many service at how much?

I don't think that factors into it really. Servicing a mechanical watch with bracelet means it gets completely dismantled, parts are cleaned and oiled up again and worn parts are replaced. The glass is replaced if needed and all seals replaced and water resistance restored. The casing and bracelet are restored back to their original selves so if a service costs £500 (e: mine is not 500 lol, it's circa 200 at an authorised centre) then you're going to get your watch back looking and beating like a brand new watch. that increases its value again.

If done every 4-5 years then I can't see how the owner is losing out?

Last edited:
To you perhaps different brands are a replica of each other..however to me those differences inherent in each make the difference...and no, I haven't changed anything..simply explained and as the discussion as grown expanded on why I bought as I did, which include the reasons you quoted. Do I care that someone can buy the same watch as I can? Tbh, I haven't even thought about it...why would I? If I worried about that, I wouldn't buy anything.

I don't know why you need to be so negative about something you clearly have no interest in...perhaps I should enter the photography sub forum and start criticising people's choice of Camera equipment as it hold no interest to me and therefore less value? But, hey ho...that's just not my gig, live and let live.

I apologise if i come across as aggressive, that was not my intention, however I am trying to understand the mindset and I am STRUGGLING.

I don't think that factors into it really. Servicing a mechanical watch with bracelet means it gets completely dismantled, parts are cleaned and oiled up again and worn parts are replaced. The glass is replaced if needed and all seals replaced and water resistance restored. The casing and bracelet are restored back to their original selves so if a service costs £500 then you're going to get your watch back looking and beating like a brand new watch. that increases its value again.

If done every 4-5 years then I can't see how the owner is losing out?

If a watch costs £2,000 and in 20 years it is worth £3,000.

You can argue the investment has increased, but after deduction of 4 service of £300? now you are in the negative.

The increased value has to be greater than original costs + running costs in order for the investment to be successful. I guess that is the point.

I apologise if i come across as aggressive, that was not my intention, however I am trying to understand the mindset and I am STRUGGLING.

I don't know if there is even a mindset to understand....I bought my watch because I liked it, it was highly recommended, it feels nice, it looks nice, its got a certain amount of style and it wears well across a wide range of occasions with whatever I am wearing at the time. It has quality without shouting it across the room and i really like the sweepy second hand...It's a everyday watch that suits me and also doesn't lose its value and will, hopefully, be something I can pass on when the time comes. If it was just about telling the time, I would have stuck with my Casio.

And the investment is not simply determined by cost+servicing-final value. It is also about the 20 years of personal enjoyment you have gotten from owning it, and the value of that is in the beholder.

Last edited:
Seiko sells £2k watches too...but does anyone actually buy them? Or do they spend £2k on a Omega?
Hell yeah in heart beat if I had the available funds and not the unhealthy addiction I have to Orient watches.

Take this for example http://www.grand-seiko.com/collection/9r-springdrive/SBGA029.html

I'd much rather that than an Omega or Rolex who I still think produce fantastic pieces. However In the same way I'd be the sort of person that opts for a Lamborghini or alternative over a Ferrari. Yes on paper the Ferrari may appear to be the best/most reconginised brand but not everyone wants the same.

Edit*
Reads to me like you want to spend serious money on a watch but are trying to convince yourself as to why you shouldn't (price).

Not really, I was just interested in what makes a watch worth 5k...and what the person buying it gets from it.

I own a Martin OM-18V Hand made American acoustic guitar. Martin have been making acoustic guitars since 1833 they invented the dreadnought guitar.

They only made a few of these guitars and they were built to Vintage spec using vintage woods, bone, ebony etc...

Its worth a tidy sum..But when you strum it...the tone , volume and projection from it is staggering. It weighs next to nothing and I can see and hear its worth. Even the way it plays. Everyone of these will sound unique depending on the different batch of woods and who hand built it.

You can't go out an buy one. As they are not made any more.

Myself personally, I don't get anything from a 5K watch. Its tells the time the same as a 1K watch? and they are readily available to buy in the high street. There is no history or mojo from a new watch I can clinically buy online with my credit card.

I'm not knocking buying one.I'm just saying how I feel about something that is insignificant in the grand scheme of things in my day to day existence.

A watch is a watch to me.But a guitar is not a guitar:p

I will give My guitar to my daughter as these Martins only increase in value. And we are talking 1000's of pounds here. Pre war Martins go for 50K plus.I can see this investment.

I have flipped many Martins over the years as I did not connect with them personally...However One comes along and you just know.

Maybe this is how you feel about your Omega...But to me That Seiko

http://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/seiko-gents-solar-powered-sne095p2-p-7590.html

Would be more than enough for me to tell me what time of day it is.

I don't know if there is even a mindset to understand....I bought my watch because I liked it, it was highly recommended, it feels nice, it looks nice, its got a certain amount of style and it wears well across a wide range of occasions with whatever I am wearing at the time. It has quality without shouting it across the room and i really like the sweepy second hand...It's a everyday watch that suits me and also doesn't lose its value and will, hopefully, be something I can pass on when the time comes. If it was just about telling the time, I would have stuck with my Casio.

And the investment is not simply determined by cost+servicing-final value. It is also about the 20 years of personal enjoyment you have gotten from owning it, and the value of that is in the beholder.

When you put it across like that, I get it. A life style accessory that you like the look of.

Not really, I was just interested in what makes a watch worth 5k...and what the person buying it gets from it.

I own a Martin OM-18V Hand made American acoustic guitar. Martin have been making acoustic guitars since 1833 they invented the dreadnought guitar.

They only made a few of these guitars and they were built to Vintage spec using vintage woods, bone, ebony etc...

Its worth a tidy sum..But when you strum it...the tone , volume and projection from it is staggering. It weighs next to nothing and I can see and hear its worth. Even the way it plays. Everyone of these will sound unique depending on the different batch of woods and who hand built it.

You can't go out an buy one. As they are not made any more.

Myself personally, I don't get anything from a 5K watch. Its tells the time the same as a 1K watch? and they are readily available to buy in the high street. There is no history or mojo from a new watch I can clinically buy online with my credit card.

I'm not knocking buying one.I'm just saying how I feel about something that is insignificant in the grand scheme of things in my day to day existence.

A watch is a watch to me.But a guitar is not a guitar:p

That's what i am trying to say. (I am thinking of buying a Taylor Guitar and think also I should really just buy a Yamaha!)

See to me a guitar is a guitar! Hell there's an orchestra out there of kids playing the finest music ever written on instruments made out of trash - The value of those instruments is priceless to those kids who made them and play them:

I think the story here is that value is completely subjective :p

That Grand Seiko is pretty immense.
It is although the sbdb001 at half/third of the price is equally impressive. I was going to link to Seiya Japan who carries most of the high end Seikos but seems his site is down due to health issues.

I still want to add this to my collection:- http://orientwatchusa.com/collections/mens-watches/diver/el02002b

Very similar to my Air Diver yet much more expensive, and I'd rather this than any of the Grand Seikos.

Back
Top Bottom