What watch do you wear?

I think if you're buying it as a status symbol then it's clearly quite desperate/pathetic, but if you like the design(s) of some of the premium Swiss watches and want a well-made watch for a few hundred quid then replicas offer a lot of choice. In my personal experience, the finish on my replica is better than all watches I tried on from the high-street in the £200 - £400 bracket, including several Seiko, Citizen, Rotary and Tissot watches.

If you like the design then get a similar budget watch or some homage watch with a very similar design but minus the fake brand name.
I can maybe see the idea of buying a replica of a watch you already own to wear when you wouldn't want to risk damage/loss of the original but tbh... the main reason for buying a replica is just to try and buy status... it's like someone sticking an M badge on their entry level BMW. Tacky estate agent from Essex type...

I don't know but it looked the same as the one Soundood posted above. It was Jez's but with cyclops.
Also soundood, how dare you post the same watch again! What an outrage! ;-)

well they all look the same, the rolex sub is a little like a 911, id just be very surprised if you found the bracelet on a hydro conquest better than a ceramic sub,

the Longines is a fine watch at its price point but thats as far as id go (and yes i have handled one)

anyway, new one in for me, sold my panerai 359 as there was a JLC scratch i had to itch,

Love this one, the quality is very apparent

IMG_20130908_120456_zps30446617.jpg

well they all look the same, the rolex sub is a little like a 911, id just be very surprised if you found the bracelet on a hydro conquest better than a ceramic sub,

the Longines is a fine watch at its price point but thats as far as id go (and yes i have handled one)

All I can say is that we both agreed it didnt feel as solid. Clasp aside of course.

Last edited:
The more JLCs I see, the more I fancy one... which isn't that helpful. I love the design, apart from the case really. It is too bulky on the crown side. Love the face. Dammit.

I've got my eye on (if I remember when it ends later) and old manual wind Zenith. I love the old anodised blue hands against white, and it needs stripping down and the case re-plating, but that should be fun.

Not expensive, wouldn't be worth a heap once done, but I like it and it has an in house movement, which I think is cool :)

Am I wrong for thinking Rolex's are a little OTT? For the money of them you could get a much better movement in a better looking watch. They are simply like Dr Dre Beats, people who know nothing about watches buy them for the name over quality. Now I'm not saying that Rolex's aren't good quality but I just feel you pay such a premium for the name.

Yeah you do tend to pay an added premium for the name alone. Wasn't it someone here who even said they have lost the little something about them than was in the classic Rolexes?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/rockefellersmanchester/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Ho.Ly. Cow! I'd take a few of those. The Mrs wouldn't say no to the 1mil diamond!

Out of all of those only 151101691862 looks the most sensible to me. The others are either too ordinary/boring or too bling/outrageous. Just a shame the hands don't suit the dial+ case combo though.

Last edited:
Am I wrong for thinking Rolex's are a little OTT? For the money of them you could get a much better movement in a better looking watch. They are simply like Dr Dre Beats, people who know nothing about watches buy them for the name over quality. Now I'm not saying that Rolex's aren't good quality but I just feel you pay such a premium for the name.

LOL uhhh you couldnt be more further from the truth, hardly OTT and very classy looking watches without looking silly on your wrist. If i could afford one, i would definitely sell one of my arms. legs or kidneys for one of them:p. Some of the Rolex's i have seen are absolutely gorgeous watches. The amount of work and detail that goes into Rolex's are simply breathtaking.

Seriously go and do some reading on how Rolex's are designed and made and i can assure you that you wont think they are OTT. They are worth their pricetag, same like a lot of swiss or designer watches.

Loll'ing at the comparison of Rolexs to Dr Dre beats headphones though:p

Yeah you do tend to pay an added premium for the name alone. Wasn't it someone here who even said they have lost the little something about them than was in the classic Rolexes?

Out of all of those only 151101691862 looks the most sensible to me. The others are either too ordinary/boring or too bling/outrageous. Just a shame the hands don't suit the dial+ case combo though.

It wouldn't surprise me, if I had that sort of money, I'd splash it on a good quality less known watch.

e: I stand by that comment, everyone knows Rolex. I'll go watch that video but I'm sure you still get charged a lot for the name.

Back
Top Bottom