What watch do you wear?

Associate
The problem with Rolex, for me, is as someone has already stated - it's an image thing. In the same way that Range Rovers are now driven by football WAGs and Barbour jackets are worn by trendy new-money Essex folk, I associate Rolex with black rap artists and all things 'bling' - they seem to be a kind of badge for people who have gone from no money to lots of money. :confused:

Soldato
;)

3874810099_793d979976.jpg

you might want to have a look at this, might just let you down gently before your watch gets a little Old :rolleyes:

Grand Seiko 10 year limit

http://professionalwatches.com/2013/08/watchmaking-the-grand-seiko-th.html

Soldato
The problem with Rolex, for me, is as someone has already stated - it's an image thing. In the same way that Range Rovers are now driven by football WAGs and Barbour jackets are worn by trendy new-money Essex folk, I associate Rolex with black rap artists and all things 'bling' - they seem to be a kind of badge for people who have gone from no money to lots of money. :confused:

This is the point I tried to put forward, but couldn't find the words.

Caporegime
They've got a good history - Rolex were confident that British officers were gentlemen and were happy to supply them with watches which could be paid for after the war - an NCO, Royal Signals Corporal Clive James Nutting, one of the organisers of the great escape, ordered a chronograph (seemingly to time patrols of guards)

Rolex_letter.jpg

Soldato
Interesting thread on TZ-UK, email saying Seiko holding GS spares 25-30 years after production ends.

25 years on GS.

Beaten to it already. I'd take the GS over a Sub Date, but would take a SD or DSSD over the GS.

25 years? still shoddy IMHO,

and seriously, I totally respect another mans love of a brand of watch, it is such an individual thing,

but I swear I wouldn't pay £500 for a Grand Seiko, in fact I wouldn't pay £50 for this example, let alone the £3300 being asked for it :rolleyes:

http://www.thewatchgallery.com/shop/seiko-grand-seiko-sbgr051.html?&source=googleps&gclid=CMuzq8ilwLkCFcaWtAodojgA1w

and just to show I am not a Seiko hater, I have two in my collection,
CjtJrXu.jpg
C9GQoW1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
25 years? still shoddy IMHO,

and seriously, I totally respect another mans love of a brand of watch, it is such an individual thing,

but I swear I wouldn't pay £500 for a Grand Seiko, in fact I wouldn't pay £50 for this example, let alone the £3300 being asked for it :rolleyes:

http://www.thewatchgallery.com/shop/seiko-grand-seiko-sbgr051.html?&source=googleps&gclid=CMuzq8ilwLkCFcaWtAodojgA1w

You wouldn't pay £50 for a GS? More fool you then, they aren't that bad you're just being irrational.

I like that mesh strap, would like one for my Samurai.

Back
Top Bottom