What watch do you wear?

Quick question for Rotty and our resident Omega experts.

I've been pondering a new quality watch for some time and was leaning towards IWC. I typically prefer a watch to have quality and workmanship but also be a little understated and I'd not considered Omega until stumbling across the Seamaster Aqua Terra - Model 231.10.42.21.06.001

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product.asp?cid=1&pid=13908

13908.jpg

I must admit, I'm sore tempted, to the point of having tried it on, but before investing an awful lot of money I stepped away from the till and here I am looking for a little advice.

Is there anything I should look for, any thoughts or comments on the watch (lets just assume I like the look, weight and size of it etc :) ). Apparently service is every 8 - 10 years and it comes with a 2 year world wide warranty.

I just don't know enough about Omega watches to know how this model stacks up. I'm not buying it as an investment, I'd buy it because I like it. On the other hand I'd hate to buy it only to find out later it's one of their most unpopular models because the movement is comparatively poor and it's value is closer to £1000 (for example).

I guess I just don't know what I don't know.

Help!?!?! :)

The Omega Co-axial movement is superb

I like the Aqua Terra, it won't hold value quite as well as the professional models but won't be bad either

I assume you are looking at the 41mm version

you should be looking at about 15% discount on RRP

though if you take interest free credit you will prob have to pay full price

there was some quidco cashback thing for Goldsmiths last time I looked

The Omega Co-axial movement is superb

I like the Aqua Terra, it won't hold value quite as well as the professional models but won't be bad either

I assume you are looking at the 41mm version

you should be looking at about 15% discount on RRP

though if you take interest free credit you will prob have to pay full price

there was some quidco cashback thing for Goldsmiths last time I looked
Well that's a step closer to buying it then... :)

Yep, it's the 41.5mm as far as I can tell (I'll ask just to be sure).

I'll have a look around pricewise but pretty much everyone seems to be the same price at the moment, we'll see if someone is open to doing a deal although I must say for something like this going to a reputable local dealer like Goldsmiths appeals to me.

Thanks for the advice Rotty, you're not my bank managers favourite person right now :).

for the first time in a long time, picked up something spontaneously today! normally research things to death!

Here's a few photos i took tonight of my new watch, a titanium Skagen with carbon fibre face and titanium mesh strap:

TWP_4689.jpg

TWP_4622.jpg

TWP_4695.jpg

TWP_4705.jpg

TWP_4700.jpg

TWP_4690.jpg

I tended to take my old watch off quite a lot if i was sat for prolonged periods due to it being quite heavy (swatch), and ended up losing it because of this!

This is REALLY light with it being titanium and carbon fibre, and feels very strong

Tom.

Last edited:
I have about as much class as a broken fridge at a fly-tip, and I've never worn anything other than cheap £9.99 digital watches :p Something about this thread tells me I don't belong...

However some of these watches do look really nice. Won't ever own one tho :p

Thanks to this thread I now have one of these on order -

To add to these -

+ a Timberland & Adidas watch, both of which I've had for many years.

Never really got on with the Armani watch though, feels as cheaply made as it most probably is. So no surprise yesterday when the movement on the date counter froze. The Christopher Ward can replace that, then I do have to just stop looking at watches, if I spent £100,000 on the things I'd still find others I want :o.

^^ enjoy the c40, it's a good watch at that price point. Not sure about the Ecko one! You are right about armani (and all fashion brand's watches pretty much) just cynical marketing efforts based on people's expectations of their brand and aspriations. I repaired an armani for someone in my family and it had a £3 movement in a floppy plastic movement ring. Utter rubbish, the strap was worth more than the watch in my view.

Last edited:
Should really have stuck to what I said in my previous post, as it were I didn't stop looking and no sooner had the CW arrived than I saw the Breitling Super Avenger and had my mind set on that being my next (and final) watch from then on.

So I visited the jewellers fully intent on buying a SA, ended up getting the Avenger Skyland (now known simply as Avenger iirc) instead. It's essentially a slightly smaller SA, which after having a close look at I thought was a little on the large side for my liking.

Safe to say my watch buying days are now most definately over.

Back
Top Bottom