What watch do you wear?

Associate
IMAG1476_zpsuioebaaj.jpg

@Nabzlfc - Lovely watch, from where and how many ££££'s?

Soldato
dKUqlDu.jpg

Tried on the moonwatch with a solid and clear caseback and neither sat on my wrist very well, this was perfect however. Mind made up, will take the plunge soon hopefully.

I took the plunge on Friday with this one and ordered, am very excited as I've had my eye on (lusting for) the SMPc for a long while. This is also my first luxury watch in a collection which has been steadily growing over the past couple of years.

I always loved the iconic waves on the face and was disappointed when I found that the new SMP lost the waves. But... that lacquered dial is just incredible and so smart. Looks like wet ink and looks like if you were to touch it you'd get ink on your fingers. I visited an Omega boutique earlier this month to try one on and I was impressed. Since then I can't get it out of my mind. It all just looks so modern and fresh. That applied logo and the hour indices are simply finished beautifully, of which both are made from white gold. It's just a stunning watch, especially so in black.

Opinions will differ, but to me the SMPc is the most appealing watch that Omega are selling right now.

Caporegime
I never actually paid much attention to the Seamaster Diver as every one I saw had the wavy dial and I didn't like the bold font on the on the bezel. Also the fact my boss has a wavy quartz one put me off them. Only when I saw the 'new' ceramic model, I paid more attention. It does look every bit as good as it does in pics.

eyM3x6B.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
What is frightening about the non ceramic models is the cost to replace the easily scratch-able bezel.

At some point I'd also like to own a 2531.80.00, that way I'd have black and blue for all occasions :)

Soldato
The wet ink look is one of the reasons I bought one, it's lush. I'm nearly two years into ownership and I still can't stop looking at it when I wear it.

15736993241_029eb89fd7_b.jpg

Caporegime
The wet ink look is one of the reasons I bought one, it's lush. I'm nearly two years into ownership and I still can't stop looking at it when I wear it.

15736993241_029eb89fd7_b.jpg

That's actually very nice...one thing I notice immediate, in this photo and in real life (a colleague has one), is the glass seems more transparent than my Steinhart. It's like the glass isn't there in a way, very clear and the black on the face is also more truer black.

May be I should stop buying guitars and buy one of these instead.

Associate
What's the exact model code for that? Looks very nice. How much was it?

Looks like a sbdx012, solojapan has them listed for €2750. Very jealous :(

Yes It's the SBDX012 - the limited edition MM300. I'm over the moon with it.

Not normally a fan of dive watches, but that works. It's nice.

Thanks!

I took the plunge on Friday with this one and ordered, am very excited as I've had my eye on (lusting for) the SMPc for a long while. This is also my first luxury watch in a collection which has been steadily growing over the past couple of years.

I always loved the iconic waves on the face and was disappointed when I found that the new SMP lost the waves. But... that lacquered dial is just incredible and so smart. Looks like wet ink and looks like if you were to touch it you'd get ink on your fingers. I visited an Omega boutique earlier this month to try one on and I was impressed. Since then I can't get it out of my mind. It all just looks so modern and fresh. That applied logo and the hour indices are simply finished beautifully, of which both are made from white gold. It's just a stunning watch, especially so in black.

Opinions will differ, but to me the SMPc is the most appealing watch that Omega are selling right now.

Good call, hope you enjoy as much as I do mine, here's a close up pic of mine to see the great quality of this fantastic watch:

M5NHzVu.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
What's more frightening is the cost to replace the ceramic bezel.

Can imagine it would be eye watering. At least you're less likely to damage a ceramic bezel, it's far too easy to scratch a steel bezel.

That's actually very nice...one thing I notice immediate, in this photo and in real life (a colleague has one), is the glass seems more transparent than my Steinhart. It's like the glass isn't there in a way, very clear and the black on the face is also more truer black.

May be I should stop buying guitars and buy one of these instead.

That's the anti reflective coating. It does look sublime.

I think I will hang on to my Steinhart Ocean 1 Black ceramic as a secondary black diver to rotate, I wear it often. But I do need to seriously look at my collection as there are watches which have received no wrist time in such a long while. Little point in holding on to them.

Good call, hope you enjoy as much as I do mine, here's a close up pic of mine to see the great quality of this fantastic watch:

Looks great. I've been wanting one for such a long while that I think it will leave me very satisfied. Shall likelywaste massive amounts of time staring it at over the years of ownership. :)

Soldato
Can imagine it would be eye watering. At least you're less likely to damage a ceramic bezel, it's far too easy to scratch a steel bezel.

SNIP

But I do need to seriously look at my collection as there are watches which have received no wrist time in such a long while. Little point in holding on to them.

The older inserts are alumninium I think (at least they are on Rolexes) - whilst they scratch quite easily, they're rather sacrificial at just under a tonne a pop.

A replacement ceramic on a Submariner is around 1k :eek:, and the general concern seems to be around them shattering. No idea how likely it is in the rather softer office environemnts they're often exposed to compared to their designed-for diving applications though!

Regarding your collection, are the ones you don't wear pieces that you bought to 'fill-out' the collection? Or are you the sort to have a diver, a chrono, a GMT, a dress piece etc.?

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Quite why it's 1k for a ceramic bezel I'll never understand. A ceramic bezel for my Halios was free, for example. Though I imagine a Tudor one won't be cheap due to being titanium and matte ceramic, just not 1k expensive!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Quite why it's 1k for a ceramic bezel I'll never understand. A ceramic bezel for my Halios was free, for example. Though I imagine a Tudor one won't be cheap due to being titanium and matte ceramic, just not 1k expensive!!

There are lots of bits that index the dive bezels - I think there are now four springs involved in the indexing? But those could well be part of the case rather than bezel.

I think the answer is 'Becoz can'!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The indexing is on the case in the crystal surround, not the bezel. The bezel just has a long piece of wire that goes round the inner teeth to catch the indexing. Unless it's different on higher end watches!

Soldato
All the SMPc pics have made me want one, I've never really paid much attention to it until now.

Local grey dealer has offered the mid-size (212.30.36.20.01.002) to me for under 2K, I am tempted.

But what I'm really after is an IWC 3531 Small Portuguese. Why IWC stopped producing these watches is beyond me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom