What watch do you wear?

Soldato
All the SMPc pics have made me want one, I've never really paid much attention to it until now.

Local grey dealer has offered the mid-size (212.30.36.20.01.002) to me for under 2K, I am tempted.

But what I'm really after is an IWC 3531 Small Portuguese. Why IWC stopped producing these watches is beyond me.

It's a 35mm piece no? Lots of manufacturers seem to be making 38/39 their minimum, which I suppose look tiny in comparison with the 44mm+ ones flying about.

Can't stand a heffer of a watch, personally. For a while the smaller pieces were going cheap as they weren't the fashion, but now they're going back up in price as they're no longer being made!

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
The wet ink look is one of the reasons I bought one, it's lush. I'm nearly two years into ownership and I still can't stop looking at it when I wear it.

15736993241_029eb89fd7_b.jpg

You REALLY need to stop posting this picture. Please. My wallet begs you. A friend has been looking at SMPs and in the progress of looking with him I now want one very badly, just can't justify two watches that are the exact same style.

Daytonas on the other hand...

Soldato
Guys, I really need your help. I need a new watch for the office as mine broke.

I want it to be a nice, clean look - not too many functions. Ideally 44-48mm depending on the design. As much as I like automatics, for this purpose a quartz watch is preferable.

Max budget £250

These are the ones ive looked at or had suggested to me:
image.png

Also, the scores ive given are completely subjective to finding a watch that is suitable for the office.

Soldato
With automatics in that price range expect to lose or gain between 10 and 20 seconds per day. I'd go quartz.

Also, what's your wrist size? 47-50mm for a watch? These pieces aren't particularly flash, so may I ask why you want something so large if it's not to draw attention to it?

Last edited:
Soldato
With automatics in that price range expect to lose or gain between 10 and 20 seconds per day. I'd go quartz.

Also, what's your wrist size? 47-50mm for a watch? These pieces aren't particularly flash, so may I ask why you want something so large if it's not to draw attention to it?

Yeah, id rather go quartz for this purpose

and im looking for a larger watch as i have an 8" wrist - normal 42mm watches look silly on me imo

Associate
You do have to get close to appreciate the quality, my beauty:

BzDHS2d.jpg

Picture quality could be better but it's only been taken with my phone.

I have to say I pondered a LOT about getting that chrono version over my PO, but, in the end, the extra 'bulk' stopped me... It looks awesome tho.

And yes, these Seamaster's AR coating is amazing, in many angles, you can't even see the crystal, it's really stunning

Soldato
Yeah, id rather go quartz for this purpose

and im looking for a larger watch as i have an 8" wrist - normal 42mm watches look silly on me imo

Then you're left with the Citizen JY... and the Chotovelli 6000-1.

But you seem pretty negative on both those.

I was tempted by a G. Gerlach before, but not of this size. This one is 44mm but is an automatic:

http://gerlach.org.pl/pzl_p_11c.html

Drat. Currently sold out. I'm lost for ideas then.

Caporegime
Guys, I really need your help. I need a new watch for the office as mine broke.

I want it to be a nice, clean look - not too many functions. Ideally 44-48mm depending on the design. As much as I like automatics, for this purpose a quartz watch is preferable.

Max budget £250

These are the ones ive looked at or had suggested to me:
http://s9.postimg.org/g8xq1wt4v/image.png[img]

Also, the scores ive given are completely subjective to finding a watch that is suitable for the office.[/QUOTE]

Seiko SKA371, it's Kinetic with a 6 month power reserve and the capacitors are good for 10-15 years. Well under budget and it's chunky so will suit your wrist size.

Associate
I just bought a Nite Nato - got it in the sale for £200. English designed, Swiss quartz movement - currently preferring it to my Seamaster.

Soldato
Then you're left with the Citizen JY... and the Chotovelli 6000-1.

But you seem pretty negative on both those.

I was tempted by a G. Gerlach before, but not of this size. This one is 44mm but is an automatic:

http://gerlach.org.pl/pzl_p_11c.html

Drat. Currently sold out. I'm lost for ideas then.

Neither the Citizen JY or Chotovelli seem to be right for the job tbh.

The G. Gerlach is nice, but too loud for my requirements.

Seiko SKA371, it's Kinetic with a 6 month power reserve and the capacitors are good for 10-15 years. Well under budget and it's chunky so will suit your wrist size.

It is chunky and suits my wrist size great - but i dont like the look of it.

The design seems too aggressive, Im requiring something more understated. E.g.

1381126941451.jpg

(its not quartz and its not big enough, but the look is perfect)

Associate
Rather annoyingly, I've set both my Omega Planet ocean and my replica PO (chinese, worth 50 quid) on time last wednesday.

Today, I checked, and the replica has lost 3 seconds....
The nearly 4 grand PO has gained 22 seconds.

A bit gutted. I think I'm going to take the 'swiss made chronograph' tag with a serious bit of salt from now on...

Caporegime
Neither the Citizen JY or Chotovelli seem to be right for the job tbh.

The G. Gerlach is nice, but too loud for my requirements.

It is chunky and suits my wrist size great - but i dont like the look of it.

The design seems too aggressive, Im requiring something more understated. E.g.

http://s8.postimg.org/3pvdzta1x/1381126941451.jpg[img]

(its not quartz and its not big enough, but the look is perfect)[/QUOTE]

I see, how about this: [url]https://shop.laco.de/en/Pilot-Watches/Genf.html[/url]

I know it's only 42mm but they wear quite big.

Soldato
Rather annoyingly, I've set both my Omega Planet ocean and my replica PO (chinese, worth 50 quid) on time last wednesday.

Today, I checked, and the replica has lost 3 seconds....
The nearly 4 grand PO has gained 22 seconds.

A bit gutted. I think I'm going to take the 'swiss made chronograph' tag with a serious bit of salt from now on...

It's been said many times before, but if you want accuracy, then an automatic watch is not the way to go about it.

But that difference you've seen between them could be down to many things. How much have both been worn? Do you wind them to 'top them up'? How do you leave them when not wearing them?

Associate
It's been said many times before, but if you want accuracy, then an automatic watch is not the way to go about it.

But that difference you've seen between them could be down to many things. How much have both been worn? Do you wind them to 'top them up'? How do you leave them when not wearing them?

`The PO has been worn all day, everyday mostly, apart from a couple of session gardening where I decided to wear the Rep. Both watches are on the bedsite table, crown up when not in use. I did 'top up' the rep, as it's not been worn much.

I do understand that an automatic won't be as precise as a quartz, I do, but I expected a Omega watch to /at least/ match a random piece of chinese junk, most especially it's in 'active use'.

Soldato
Regarding your collection, are the ones you don't wear pieces that you bought to 'fill-out' the collection? Or are you the sort to have a diver, a chrono, a GMT, a dress piece etc.?

Since this illness has taken over I've not sold any pieces apart from the Rodina (Nomos homage, rip off), as I wasn't happy with my sample that I received.

The Visodate and my new acquisition the Cocktail Time get the most time on the wrist during the working week, as I work in a suit environment and they are dressy and look very smart.

The Steinhart Ocean 1 Black Ceramic receives a heavy amount of time on the wrist during the weekends, as does the G-Shock when I'm at the gym or doing any potential bashing around activities :D. The Nighthawk I enjoy wearing from time to time. The Orange Monster is very fun to wear for holidays and weekends, always enjoy wearing that on nice weather days.

The rest? They see very little wrist time, if any. I'm thinking of losing them. Especially the divers.. too many divers. I want to like the Seiko SKX007, but I find it not very appealing to look at, therefore it doesn't see much action, even though I splashed out on a 22mm Super Oyster Type II bracelet for it.

yyc6229.jpg

kMp29Ku.jpg

WSzxVCR.jpg

7es1F4v.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Put my Tag on for the first time in ages, still makes me smile when I look at it, first watch over a grand I'd ever bought at the time.

4ZSlGSy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom