What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
After a year deciding what I wanted as an everyday ‘sport’ watch today I pressed the buy button, ordering a used Hublot Big Bang [301.CX.130.RX]. It comes with a 44m black ceramic case and a textured rubber strap : http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Hublot/Big Bang/301.CX.130.RX/7586/item/85367

37944261944_e28d11249e_c.jpg

38605691956_1906f53f0b_c.jpg

38661943441_8a89816bfc_c.jpg

Didn't like the retail experience when visiting their boutique in New Bond Street to buy about 8 months ago. They were not interested in talking, letting me try a few watches on, frankly it was a shocking experience. Had the shop of been full I would have perhaps understood a little more, but it was me and 2 shop assistants. I think it was because I wasn't Russian. No Hublot for me!

Soldato
^ nice looks

As my Seiko solar powered watch has given up the ghost (at least until I can get it seen to). I am waiting on a Rotary 'Les Originale' Tradition as a replacement.

This is part of a retirement gift from the company so a bit above my usual price range, but I wanted a plain watch. No extra dials or gizmos to distract but good looking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi guys,

Im relatively new to the watch scene. I have a sieko 5 automatic and a nixon timeteller.
both really good watches and have served me well.

I cant afford a rolex or omega just yet but was wondering what brands/watches in the mid tier are good for spec/components and ulmitately precision time keeping.

Last edited:
Soldato
Zenith are a cracker of a brand - check out their latest innovation with the Defy Lab piece and their silicone oscillator! It's an absolute marvel and one that will hopefully spread. Their El Primero movement has, over the years, been used by the likes of Rolex, and they've recently updated the movement to measure 1/10th of a second. But we're well into Rolex territory with that one, price wise.

Pretty grim residuals for much of their wares if buying retail. Part of LVMH, so in bed with Tag and Hublot etc.

Some lovely vintage Zenith pieces out there though, if you buy right and aren't buying a franken.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Im relatively new to the watch scene. I have a sieko 5 automatic and a nixon timeteller.
both really good watches and have served me well.

I cant afford a rolex or omega just yet but was wondering what brands/watches in the mid tier are good for spec/components and ulmitately precision time keeping.
Bulova moon watch is £289 on amazon very tempted to get one myself.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
i removed the zenith after passing out from the price.

my budget is anything from £100-300

I would be looking at Timefactors (Precista, Smith etc. http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm#), Steinheart, Seiko or even something like Hamtun (a kickstarter watch a couple of us have).

I have a Precista PRS50 which is no longer in production but some are. Mine is a brilliant watch for the money. Seiko do loads of interesting stuff in that budget. You could also look at Orient. Good shout above too.

Soldato
Bulova moon watch looks cool. love how the second hand moves so fluid. its like my seiko 5 movement.
and its quartz which is cool.

is there any similar watches to this that are 37mm to 41mm diameter with that movement of the second hand.

Soldato
An update from me

I'm 4 years into owning my Omega SMP and I still can't stop looking at it - the gloss black dial is just so delicious.

38044108725_c7e4d50e90_c.jpg

Omega Planet Ocean 43.5mm - 8900 Co-Axial Master movement with a titanium case & dial and liquid metal numbers on a ceramic bezel.
You might remember, this time last year I ordered this watch but it was delayed for a long time so I cancelled it. Well I re-ordered it a few weeks ago and this morning it arrived.

38930400471_f9c2a79d12_c.jpg

My Hublot Big Bang has also arrived but I've been told I need to wait until Christmas day for that :(

Soldato
Some watches owned by my step Great-Grandad (or something) have been passed down various generations and reached my Dad and I. I know some of you are into your watches so are any of these particularly interesting or special? They are likely to date from the 60s.

7pWz9YG.jpg.png
HoN1Umu.jpg.png
WvLDiyV.jpg.png
dlNZl5t.jpg.png
fQMlNS9.jpg.png
FXN68uL.jpg.png

The gold Gucci has a small scratch / chip in it, revealing more gold, so I have a feeling the main body part of this one is gold rather than gold plated?

Some are motion powered and all still work (not sure about the battery ones, as the batteries have run out). They have a smooth 'ticking', maybe a third of a second movement rather than a whole second per movement.

I am partial to the black Gucci watch (and that last gold one actually, in a 70 year old 'playa' in an old convertible Mercedes kind of way) I would have a more plain leather strap on it. Although it might be a ladies watch based on the strap... not sure if that matters 50 years on?!

Back
Top Bottom