What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Looking to buy a cheap, functional watch as the old Rotary I've had for donkeys years has finally given up the ghost. I'm afraid my purchase will not be in the same league as the beautiful watches posted elsewhere in this thread - however, I was very taken with the pic of the Seiko 5 Military that was posted recently. I assume it's not available in the UK (which is a shame as I'd like to see it in the flesh first - I have quite slim wrists and so it's difficult to get a sense of how 'bulky' it is from pictures). But - it seems like a good watch for the ~£75 that Amazon would charge me for it. Would this be a good purchase - or if not - what similar watches would the team recommend?
If in that budget, you can't really go wrong with Seiko or Citizen. Just beware of fakes of even those lower priced models (Wish has some, for example...dodgy place it is).

Associate
43mm, I have girly wrists :o

I'm saving for a Grand Seiko spring drive, obvious choice is the Snow-flake but not a 100% sure yet.
The GS Snow-flake is absolutely beautiful watch, I love the dial and the finishing on the hands.

Looking to buy a cheap, functional watch as the old Rotary I've had for donkeys years has finally given up the ghost. I'm afraid my purchase will not be in the same league as the beautiful watches posted elsewhere in this thread - however, I was very taken with the pic of the Seiko 5 Military that was posted recently. I assume it's not available in the UK (which is a shame as I'd like to see it in the flesh first - I have quite slim wrists and so it's difficult to get a sense of how 'bulky' it is from pictures). But - it seems like a good watch for the ~£75 that Amazon would charge me for it. Would this be a good purchase - or if not - what similar watches would the team recommend?
If you're buying from Amazon direct, you could always return it if you don't like it. I think most watch shops have a decent return policy.

Soldato
Not really in the know about watches but my dad can pick from a selection of gifts (mainly Womans Gucci watches, handbags and jewellery) but he can choose from a couple of Bulova mens watches, are they well regarded?

These are the two he can choose from

Bulova-CURV-Chronograph-Watch-1.jpg

Bulova-CURV-Chronograph-Watch-4.jpg

Bulova-CURV-Chronograph-Watch-6.jpg
Bulova-CURV-Chronograph-Watch-17.jpg

Bulova-CURV-Chronograph-Watch-19.jpg

Bulova-CURV-Chronograph-Watch-18.jpg

I think he is leaning towards the more modern Bulova Curv Chronograph Black as this is unlike any watch he already owns.

If you guys had the choice which you would pick?

Soldato
Help Me Ocukwan Kenobi.

Looking to gift a watch to my almost Father in Law for my wedding. I'll be replacing the strap with a cloth strap of his regimental colours. Budget I guess up to £500, a classic watch for an Ex Sgt, 22 years in service who takes his smart appearance very seriously.

I'm banging my head a bit, I've been wearing the same Citizen Nighthawk for 7 years until I can afford my breguet /s

Soldato
Soldato
These are stunning and look absolutely fantastic, but realistically, for me, the legibility isn’t that great plus no date is a bummer which is my most used complication.

I’d have to agree.
Legibility is not ideal & I too miss not having a date. It’s worn in rotation with 20 odd other pieces, so I tolerate it.

Prob flip it once the new AP ROC 38mm becomes available.

Soldato
Got myself Tudor Black Bay 58 today. I think I was quite lucky. Called Harrods, they quoted me 6 month wait list. Called watches of switzerland they basically said dont bother signing up on the list. Finally as a last ditch effort called up Bucherer in selfridges and they said they do not do waiting lists. If there is a watch they will try to allocate it and the very next day apparently somebody refused to buy the watch so they called, I came over within minutes (I work nearby) I bought it on the spot. Need to resize the bracelet still, will post a pic tomorrow probably.

Not sure if I got extremely lucky or it is the exclusivity game ADs are playing with this watch.

Soldato
Got myself Tudor Black Bay 58 today. I think I was quite lucky. Called Harrods, they quoted me 6 month wait list. Called watches of switzerland they basically said dont bother signing up on the list. Finally as a last ditch effort called up Bucherer in selfridges and they said they do not do waiting lists. If there is a watch they will try to allocate it and the very next day apparently somebody refused to buy the watch so they called, I came over within minutes (I work nearby) I bought it on the spot. Need to resize the bracelet still, will post a pic tomorrow probably.

Not sure if I got extremely lucky or it is the exclusivity game ADs are playing with this watch.

Bought one of these a few months ago for my son. First Tudor I've ever purchased.
I was really impressed with the piece overall. Not quite a Rolex Submariner but beats all the competition by miles IMO.

Congrats & enjoy

Soldato
Bought one of these a few months ago for my son. First Tudor I've ever purchased.
I was really impressed with the piece overall. Not quite a Rolex Submariner but beats all the competition by miles IMO.

Congrats & enjoy

Cheers, it is a fantastic value for money watch.

Here is the pic, figured it's best to take it off my boney hairy wrist for the photo!

2q8mul5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom