1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What watch do you wear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doran, Apr 21, 2008.

1. R-evans

Wise Guy

Went with my wife to get her a new activity tracker after her 6th Fitbit (that were all replaced by the company with refurbished ones) started to separate from the strap again, so she felt like she needed a change.

Stumbled across the Fossil Sport which she instantly fell in love with, plus they had a $50 off deal.

I had no idea Fossil made a smartwatch, nor did I have any desire to have a smart watch in my life, but after playing around with them in store I decided to get one too. Really like it so far.

I had a quick run around the mall to double check I didn't want something from another company (and to give myself a chance to walk away from the impulse buy) but I think this is by far the best looking one on the market. Everything else seemed too bulky and congested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Participant

Caporegime

Anyone got first hand experience of Omega servicing? Am I best off dropping it with Goldsmiths (where I bought it) or liaising with Omega directly? How much should I expect to pay and is there anything else I need to consider?

Watch is a Seamaster Planet Ocean due its first service.

Thanks.

3. Pyr0m@nI@]{

Hitman

I found this page on the Omega site:
    https://www.omegawatches.com/custom...s-and-prices/main-steps-of-a-complete-service

Scroll down for pricing

RECOMMENDED PUBLIC PRICES
    (VAT included)

NON-PRECIOUS MATERIAL PRICE

Steel (including plated steel), titanium, ceramic

CALIBRE TYPE PRICE
    NON-CHRONOGRAPH QUARTZ £330.00
    NON-CHRONOGRAPH MECHANICAL £410.00
    CHRONOGRAPH QUARTZ £450.00
    CHRONOGRAPH MECHANICAL £550.00

4. hughtrimble

Mobster

Where possible, I'd cut out the middle man i.e. Goldsmiths

That being said, how long have you had it? You might still be under warranty if it's playing up.

5. Rotty

Don

I always go through a dealer. same price and the shipping is their problem

6. ravl585

Wise Guy

Hey guys,

I have a Rolex GMT-Master 1675/3, and I'm looking to change the band to a leather strap, any recommendations?

I've seen people with black straps, but interested in a brown/tan strap.

7. GeezerButler

Wise Guy

I have a leather strap on my 1675 made by strap-works.co.uk. The vintage leather they used is now out of stock, but the strap is very well made so they are worth a look. The other I'm considering getting is one of the Italian made JPM straps from here:

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/collections/jpm-products

Toshi straps are always great, but might be a bit thick for a 1675. Still, worth a look - there's a Steinhart GMT in the gallery there that looks good:

https://toshi-straps.co.uk/gallery/page/2/

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  8. ravl585

Wise Guy

Thanks for the links :)

I do like the look of some of the ones on watchobession

9. ravl585

Wise Guy

Just managed to find an old watch lying around, so I've managed to change the strap just to see what it looks like

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The strap is 22mm I think, so I've had to squeeze it in, but I'm happy with the look of it.

Now it's time to order a proper strap :)

10. dk345

Gangster

Celebratory new job weekend got rather expensive...

Will make a nice addition to my Cocktail Time and beater Citizen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Pyr0m@nI@]{

Hitman

Congratulations on the new job but more importantly, the new watch ;) :)

12. SDK^

Capodecina

Nice :)
    The new box design looks special too :)

13. SDK^

Capodecina

Check this video - A (big) defect on a new Rolex. Should increase the value a bit :)

14. Bigpops

Mobster

I just watched that. I thought I wasn't very observant until I watched it back and noticed the first half of the video isn't the watch in question.

On the new Seamaster: Nice. Wrong colour (black > *), but still nice.

15. Things change I've changed

Capodecina

Just grabbed a cheap Seiko 5 to crave an itch while I'm saving for my main peice, been quite impressed by it for money, going to grab a rough leather strap for it next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Pyr0m@nI@]{

Hitman

What size is that seiko, it looks pretty big?
    Good call on the new strap.
    What piece are you saving for?

17. Things change I've changed

Capodecina

43mm, I have girly wrists :o

I'm saving for a Grand Seiko spring drive, obvious choice is the Snow-flake but not a 100% sure yet.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  18. Tiny Clanger

Hitman

Looking to buy a cheap, functional watch as the old Rotary I've had for donkeys years has finally given up the ghost. I'm afraid my purchase will not be in the same league as the beautiful watches posted elsewhere in this thread - however, I was very taken with the pic of the Seiko 5 Military that was posted recently. I assume it's not available in the UK (which is a shame as I'd like to see it in the flesh first - I have quite slim wrists and so it's difficult to get a sense of how 'bulky' it is from pictures). But - it seems like a good watch for the ~£75 that Amazon would charge me for it. Would this be a good purchase - or if not - what similar watches would the team recommend?

19. hughtrimble

Mobster

Why obvious? Plenty to choose from now. This is also the year of the spring drive anniversary so there are quite a few special pieces being released.

I wear my one just about every day - black dial, lumed, spring drive, and titanium. Love it.

20. hughtrimble

Mobster

If in that budget, you can't really go wrong with Seiko or Citizen. Just beware of fakes of even those lower priced models (Wish has some, for example...dodgy place it is).