What watch do you wear?

It's the symbol imprinted on the front polariser that's glued to the screen itself which is for the archaeological institute :p I could remove the polariser and replace with a new filter as it's an easy mod that people do on Casios to get the "stealth" LCD display but I don't want to change anything that would reduce its vintage aspect or value really so am going to simply change the battery and that's it!

Other institutes had other symbols where Casio did special versions for them too.

Hey it could be a post-ice breaker when the main ice breaker of a blue see-through watch is over with :D

Glycine Combat Sub just received this morning. Very happy with it :). Quality feels so much better than my other watches. Though to be fair none of them are very high end :). Even the strap just feels (and smells) so nice. I'll probably take it off the rubber strap and put a nato or zulu on it anyway.

I'm curious did you buy the Watch from Ashfords I have my eye on one there and wondering what I can expect to pay in terms of VAT ?

Slightly offtopic, but @mrk what's the set up you use for taking your watch pics? I was messing around with stuff last night using the tripod and a longer exposure rather than handheld with flashes and softboxes (I have none :p)

Hand held with 2x remote flashes at various power levels to get the desired look! I bounce off a coloured wall and ceiling from each corner :cool:

The surface is just an IKEA media unit!

Lens wise 35mm 1.4 at around f2 to 2.8 to maintain good dof :)

Hand held with 2x remote flashes at various power levels to get the desired look! I bounce off a coloured wall and ceiling from each corner :cool:

The surface is just an IKEA media unit!

Lens wise 35mm 1.4 at around f2 to 2.8 to maintain good dof :)

Cheers, I suspected it would be something like that. I'll get my flash batteries charged and find a better surface to take photos on. Need to get a bigger house so I can have a dedicated photography room or at the very least somewhere where I can set another table up :p

Anywhere is suitable really as long as the surface is able to bounce and diffuse light, so something not too glossy but shiny enough to react softly to light. Then just adjust the direction of the flash and its power until you get a look that you like. Should end up looking like various ring lights and soft boxes etc were used when it's really very basic but set up to get the same look!

Oh and remember to dim the room lights too :cool:

You could also use jeans that match with the watch, that always looks good. I did one with my Pelagos a while back:

35qwvve.jpg

Anywhere is suitable really as long as the surface is able to bounce and diffuse light, so something not too glossy but shiny enough to react softly to light. Then just adjust the direction of the flash and its power until you get a look that you like. Should end up looking like various ring lights and soft boxes etc were used when it's really very basic but set up to get the same look!

Oh and remember to dim the room lights too :cool:

You could also use jeans that match with the watch, that always looks good. I did one with my Pelagos a while back:

35qwvve.jpg

Bloody love that watch!

Definitely one of my favourites but it just wore like a slab of thick Titanium and has almost no lug curve so on smaller wrists it does look much bigger than its 42mm would suggest! Big diameter is not a issue for me it's almost always the lug to lug (needs to be sub 46mm ideally) and of course the lug curve on how it fits around the wrist rather than sit on. It's the reason I opted to not get the Yema SpaceGraf even though it's 40mm, it's not a caseback that sits flush with the lug ends so it ends up sitting on your wrist with pressure on the centre taper of the caseback.

It's not easy picking watches that wear well! Even the nicest watch might not wear well. The Spinnaker was the other end of the sizing as everything else was fine, just it was too thick at 14.7mm.

I also don't want a watch with a date window any more, clean dials please!

I'm still fiddling about with the processing but this is the one i took last night.

KDlm5l0.jpg

Also check out some Lightroom presets that have various baseline looks you like the style of. You can then fine tune and re-save the preset as a custom one to build your own looks and colour grades from there! Polished parts are always more difficult as any light source will overblow so I try get them off angle so the reflection of the light is diffused by a surface rather than a direct reflection :col:

Yeah I've got a couple of those presets, but I pretty much just did a quick version from scratch for that pic. The lighting was just by lightbulb with a longer exposure using my macro lens on tripod. So there's definitely room for improvement! :o

All in good time no doubt :)

I opened up the vintage Casio today to change the battery, realised I don't have a CR2016 but only a CR2025 spare, so will continue tomorrow. The interior is in excellent condition for being 30 years old so the original seal has been doing its thing it seems but I think it could do with replacing as it felt a little flat and worn compared to even the fake AE168 I opened up the other week so I guess 30 years of compression has worn it in somewhat.

Sadly can't find a replacement seal but Watch Battery UK have contacted Casio for stock so fingers crossed they still make or have supply.

tqABgGD.jpg

Apple Watch series 5 44mm - my main birthday present from MrsHB :)

I will retire my Suunto now.

7-C0-D0-C50-CA12-4-C2-B-AE98-4-BEB7843159-A.jpg

Last edited:
Read that as MkbHD lol

How are you guys liking the Coniston? I'm loving how it looks/gleams on a sunny day. Really classy but without being shouty?

sbyhvyl.jpg

Last edited:
Could anyone recommend a decent courier service when selling an expensive watch?

I understand RMSD is one possible option but I believe they only cover up to £2,500.

@Rotty I know you've probably bought and sold a few over the years! Has it always been collection only?

Back
Top Bottom