What watch do you wear?

Soldato
yeah, seems that Calibre 5 can mean pretty much anything as far as the insides. Some Tags that say Calibre 5 have day/date and some only have date, yet those will be technically different movements. I was going to edit my reply above having just found this myself. Thanks for the correction.

I still stand by my recommendation for the Farer Hopewell :)
The Sellita SW200 range can do date and day date. Virtually no difference other than the extra disc and wheel to move it.

Soldato
I'm going to go try on that Clifton Baumatic, seems to have an in house movement which is good for the price range. Also first of the group to use silicone parts apparently!

Very much like the look of it.

Man of Honour
So I saw the Black Bay Bronze in person last weekend and wow. It looks amazing, but it's so damn big? Even though the on paper figures make it only 1mm bigger than the Pelagos, but in person that 1mm makes a huge difference. Far too chunky for my liking.

Damn shame, there are no other bronze watches in that price range I like.

Soldato
Aren't Sellita just ETA copies or hybrids? They look identical.
Sellita originally started out recreating Swiss movements, but you need to remember that ETA don't own any copyright to movements. Essentially ETA made a handful of movements and by merger and take over of companies they appropriated their movements. Sellita over the years has invested a huge amount of money in refining their original movements as well as creating their own movements. They're the second biggest manufacturer of Swiss movements.

Associate
Anyone have a Tag Connected? If so thoughts? I was tempted whilst in the States last week but fear it’s a lot of money for something that will be outdated pretty swiftly?

Soldato
Anyone have a Tag Connected? If so thoughts? I was tempted whilst in the States last week but fear it’s a lot of money for something that will be outdated pretty swiftly?

I think you'd ultimately regret it. Perhaps a better idea would be a MUCH cheaper smartwatch to scratch that itch, and then buy a nice regular watch.

Soldato
That is such an odd video to me. You are told that the level of craftsmanship is going to increase - it’s zooms into the detail and it’s interesting, but then the narrator seems to switch into fluff mode sometime when looking at the second watch. “Look at this - it’s better because of some swirly lines that you aren’t even able to see, so it justifies the price”. He made no mention of the actually machinery keeping the watch going. I was expecting him to say the machinery was going to get more complicated but he only really talked about the finishing on the internal parts. He then started going on about things finished by hand being superior than by machine - at this point my bull sensor started going off. I suspect you could design modern complex machinery to do the job - but why would you when it would ruin the mystique of the time it takes to finish these components by hand.

The craftsmanship is impressive, you can’t say otherwise, but in the absence of an explanation as to how it affects the mechanics, it’s all a bit redundant surely? If you like what it looks like and you like the brand then go for it, but more intricate finishing that affects the aesthetics of, predominantly, the inside of a watch, is surely a terrible reason to justify getting one!

Perhaps there were mechanical differences that he could have mentioned but didn’t.
There is no mechanical benefit.

Compare it to a Rolls Royce. There is an option to have a gold stripe running down each side of the car which costs £8k. The main contributing factor for the high price is that it’s painted onto the car by hand which takes around 6 hours to complete (3 hours each side) by a skilled RR worker.
Now, a machine could do the job in less than 2 minutes and the end result would look exactly the same, but that’s missing the point to the owner buying the luxury product.

Caporegime
and you would only be marginally less of a mug to buy an Apple Watch :p
You have to be a bit of an anti-apple activist to say that the Apple Watch is no good, because it is objectively a very good smartwatch. I don't own any Apple products but the Apple Watch is better than any Android wearable I can think of. But yeah, you need an iphone to get the most from it.

Either way, the functionality of an Apple Watch or Android Wear would still be miles better than than Tag watch.

Soldato
Just seen a post elsewhere about someone who has 'upgraded' from the Tag smart watch to their mechanical option. I didn't believe it was actually a thing when I posted the link above - I thought it was just a marketing ploy to get coverage!

Don
You have to be a bit of an anti-apple activist to say that the Apple Watch is no good, because it is objectively a very good smartwatch. I don't own any Apple products but the Apple Watch is better than any Android wearable I can think of. But yeah, you need an iphone to get the most from it.

Either way, the functionality of an Apple Watch or Android Wear would still be miles better than than Tag watch.

a bit anti apple but mostly I think any "smartwatch" looks daft, suppose if I was 15 again I might see it differently :p

Caporegime
a bit anti apple but mostly I think any "smartwatch" looks daft, suppose if I was 15 again I might see it differently :p
Regardless of whether or not we think it looks daft, the topic was if the Apple Apple Watch is a good smartwatch. It is a good smartwatch, and much better than the Tag that costs 5x the price.

By the way I am also similar to you in that I like classic watches, but there is no doubt in my mind that smartwatches are the future for 90% of people. I believe that they will eventually integrate seamlessly with all our other gadgets and help to organise our lives by providing the first buffer between our hands and our phones. Plus, they are very useful for staying organised at work to quickly check messages, calendars and reminders.

I have so far avoided getting one, but I am sure I will buckle one day when they mature.

Back
Top Bottom