• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What will NVidia do next with 7nm?

bru

bru

Soldato
Now I haven't read anything or heard any rumours , so I thought I would ask here what people think Nvidia will have planed for us?

Now whatever they have planned we all have to realise that they will have started down this route probably before the even released the 2000 series.

Personally I reckon they will reduce the size of the dies because 754mm² just wont be sustainable on the new architecture.

I don't think they will back away from the RT and tensor cores, as they have invested to much to do a U turn now. But I wouldn't be surprised to see RT cores 2.0 and Tensor cores 3.0, basically faster and better.

Cuda core numbers will go up I expect maybe to nearly 6000.
And I expect power consumption to remain very similar.

Price will come down slightly, maybe from $899 so it looks good, but it will probably make little real difference to the price we pay.

As for the name well it should be the 2100 series, but it will be the 3000 series because we know NVidia cannot count, as evidenced from the 2000 series not the 1100 series.

Your thoughts.

Man of Honour
Like Turing they seem to be exploring both TSMC and Samsung for production at 7nm for GPUs - I wouldn't take that as a definite as to where they will be made at this stage - supply and unit cost will likely factor in that.

nVidia at 7nm won't be just a shrink of Turing though it is quite possible Turing might rear its head again on another node.

Associate
30% more performance, same clocks, same cores, same vram or less, 50% higher prices. Rocking 1080ti SLI 5960X and really want to skip at least 2 Nvidia generations. Zen 2 next ups.

Man of Honour
Very little performance increase.
Smaller dies.
Lower prices.

If NVidia don't get their pricing sorted out they will be in serious trouble with fallings sales and lower share price.

The more people pay for a GPU the longer they are likely to hang on to it before upgrading.

Soldato
Smaller dies.
Lower prices.

If NVidia don't get their pricing sorted out they will be in serious trouble with fallings sales and lower share price.

The more people pay for a GPU the longer they are likely to hang on to it before upgrading.

Unless technology drives things forward. Some killer hardware feature in that series.

Soldato
Is 7nm a real concern when all it will do is reduce the footprint of their own IP for a sku designed to differentiate itself from AMD for a PCIe Slot?
If anything, investors should ask, how will Nvidia capitalize on the reduced node and what other IPs are they researching to integrate with to diversify the product stack? More gpu gaming cards? I hope not!
At 7nm what SoC technology or other tech that will allow their IP to fit in the puzzle of a ever evolving technical industry and still be competitive. As the node shrink weakens their IP it would not be a good look to just do so as just a stand alone product for that PCIe slot.

Last edited:
Associate
They need to put more raytracing rendering power on the card so that it's 4k 60FPS sustained and consoles look terrible and old in comparison. Then PCs can finally claim the ultimate victory in the console vs. PC war.

Soldato
They need to put more raytracing rendering power on the card so that it's 4k 60FPS sustained and consoles look terrible and old in comparison. Then PCs can finally claim the ultimate victory in the console vs. PC war.
I think it's going to help NV take a nice leap forward which is what RT needs. They'll wait for 7nm to mature a bit so won;t be anytime soon I don;t think. I don't know enough about design and this is probably not possibly to begin with, but I wouldn't be surprised if NV goes even more expensive with super top end. Then we'll hear the same old story that the super top end is really just a Ti and we're being ripped off :). So 7nm means smaller die size, lower manufacturing costs but what if they can keep to the same die size and cram more on it? Would cost a hell of a lot of £ though.
They need to offer great performance per £ at the old Ti pricing, but doesn't mean they can't go all out on a higher range of gaming cards. NV knows some will pay the £. Needs to be a big jump for the £ though, unlike the 2080 Ti to Titan RT gain , where the RT is not really supposed to be a gaming card.

Last edited:
Soldato
Smaller dies.
Lower prices.

Minimum they could gain is 30%, that's the worst case unlikely scenario

Man of Honour
Minimum they could gain is 30%, that's the worst case unlikely scenario

They could go for zero performance increase and 30% less on the price.

This would actually encourage more people to buy their high end cards.

A 7nm card with regular performance the same as the existing RTX Titan (which is plenty for 4k) but enhanced Ray Tracing priced at £700 is what would sell.

Caporegime
TMSC has officially stated Nvidia is one of their biggest clients for 7nm.

Any rumours of Samsung likely revolve around 5nm.

Back
Top Bottom