What would make me want to buy a mac?

Permabanned
You had a hardware fault, not the fault of Microsoft. It's strange how a Mac fan defended Mac when another poster said "My Mac crashes all the time"

Good luck fixing your mac when/if something goes down..hell you can't even add an internal HD.

Soldato
Hell you can't even add an internal HD.

How very informed you are. :rolleyes:

Especially as the OP seems to want a MacBook, which has user replaceable Drives and Ram. Both with PDF's provided by Apple.

You'll also need to note the presence of sites such as iFixit which detail lots of guides.

Soldato
So can fit another HD in a imac? And as maddox has said in a mac "just works" then why does iFixit site exist?

Taking things out of context won't help you win.

The OP is clearly leaning towards a notebook, as detailed in the OP. Yet, you ramble about something that doesn't matter in this case? I expect you can fit another HD in an iMac if you mod it slightly, just like the MBP with a raid setup.

Again with the out of context business, hardware cannot be guaranteed to never fail, when a product is out of warranty a customer may be put off replacing a part via Apple because of the cost.

That is why iFixit is there, for hands on people, to do hands on things.

FYI. Macs do just work. No fanboyism at all in that.

Associate
You had a hardware fault, not the fault of Microsoft. It's strange how a Mac fan defended Mac when another poster said "My Mac crashes all the time"

Good luck fixing your mac when/if something goes down..hell you can't even add an internal HD.

Not sure if this post was intended for me or not? :)

(EDIT- Don't think it was intended for me, sorry! I'll leave my post though as the grammar therein is quite lovely...)

I had a suspected hardware fault and I've had software faults. At the end of the day it's down to the PC & Windows environment. I'm at a loss as to the exact cause of each problem, I just know it's been a royal pain the last 6 months prompting a change in my computing habits.

As for fixing the Mac, I'll have the extended warranty. I know you can do this with PC manufacturers too but I built my PC myself so I only have the individual warranties for each part. Most of these parts are over 12 months old- some 24 to 36 month- and I'm not even sure which part is causing the problem if any! :p

Last edited:
Associate
I haven't had a BSOD in 2000 or XP for years. In fact I don't ever recall seeing one. No total lock ups, the most common is program crashing.

BSOD were common in 95, 98 and especially ME.

You're right - but what is good about mac os is the fact that there are only a certain number of hardware configurations - which means there are less conflicting issues..

I agree that MS are doing fantastically with vista (imo) getting all 13 bazillion different hardware configurations to work - which is good! If I'm honest I just fancied a change and I dont think I'll look back!

I have to use a windows machine for work (A dell precision workbook) - which keeps my hand in.. but I just prefer the mac way of life(!)

As I said before, each to their own - but this thread shouldn't turn into another Windows vs Mac thread 'cos its been done to death! :)

Tom*

Associate
Not sure if this post was intended for me or not? :)

(EDIT- Don't think it was intended for me, sorry! I'll leave my post though as the grammar therein is quite lovely...)

I had a suspected hardware fault and I've had software faults. At the end of the day it's down to the PC & Windows environment. I'm at a loss as to the exact cause of each problem, I just know it's been a royal pain the last 6 months prompting a change in my computing habits.

As for fixing the Mac, I'll have the extended warranty. I know you can do this with PC manufacturers too but I built my PC myself so I only have the individual warranties for each part. Most of these parts are over 12 months old- some 24 to 36 month- and I'm not even sure which part is causing the problem if any! :p

Heh! We've all had issues! Definitely get the warranty if you can. If you're a student I believe you get 3 years warranty - but you will have to pay (£50 irc?) if you want applecare...

I would say go and have an extended test drive.. I spent about 3 days cumulatively in the mac store in the Trafford Centre! The staff were made up when I eventually bought one!

Tom*

Associate
itsallaboutyou said:
I would say go and have an extended test drive.. I spent about 3 days cumulatively in the mac store in the Trafford Centre! The staff were made up when I eventually bought one!

Tom*

Deffo will do, mate. I haven't decided on a Mini or an iMac yet (leaning towards an iMac though...) but I plan on going to the Trafford at least once to have a good goosey. It'll be a coupla months before I buy so there's lots of time to decide :)

If I do think an iMac is the one for me then I'll look at screen sizes and the glossy display before I buy.

Last edited:
Associate
Deffo will do, mate. I haven't decided on a Mini or an iMac yet (leaning towards an iMac though...) but I plan on going to the Trafford at least once to have a good goosey. It'll be a coupla months before I buy so there's lots of time to decide :)

If I do think an iMac is the one for me then I'll look at screen sizes and the glossy display before I buy.

Good call! I think I would have opted for the iMac had I not had a 24" dell...

Now I think I made the right choice with my macbook.. although the iMac is 'portable' to a degree - being able to pick my macbook up and use it anywhere is a big plus! Only problem is having two bloomin big laptop bags!

I think there's an imac thread around somewhere...

Anyway - whatever you decide - you'll be chuffed!

Tom*

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Before I bought my first Mac I was heavily in to building PCs.

I had the highest spec possible for the SFF machine I'd built, had it running on Windows XP Professional x64 at a time when it was considered to be hard to get drivers, and I had spent ages getting things set up how I liked.

For example, I'd run msconfig to cut down on startup apps, I'd tweaked the services.msc to get the number of services down to <15 and I'd used gpedit.msc to tweak various "cosmetic" things.. I'd even pottered around in the registry adding some cool features to get my machine to flawlessly.. which it did.

The result of all my work was a machine that could play any game (for it's day), would boot in under 30 seconds and was visually appealling.

The only thing that made me switch was the fact that I'd had built PCs for years, and was tired of constantly upgrading GFX cards and spending all my money on upgrading. I hadn't even installed Virus Protection because I never beileved in it, and was confident that I wouldn't get infected (so it wasn't because I was fed up of virii :p)

I have to say, I do miss gaming on the PC and I was extremely pleased with my first iMac .

It was great because I took it out of the box, booted it up, and BOOM! it was running all my apps in under 20 minutes.. however, I still miss that "build it yourself" feeling from the machines that I used to get, and would love a gaming PC again one day, but there's just two things stopping me doing that.

• No room for additional PC in the house
  • Vista.

This is not meant to be a rant against Vista, but having set up at least 20 machines for my dad's business I have come to the conclusion that I plain just don't like it.

XP was a bit of a pain, but within 5 minutes you could shut it up and get on with things.. with Vista it just seemed like it was deliberately built so you had to drill deep down in to the control panel to find the one setting you needed.

If XP had Direct10 support I would have stayed with my machine, but screw upgrading to Vista (I thought), and now having used it, I probably wouldn't go back. Before anyone starts, yes, you can turn off UAC, Windows Defender etc but seriously.. £300 for what's a prettier version of XP, it didn't feel worth it.

In conclusion, I think that if you approach the Mac platform with an open mind, and you give it a fair chance then you'll probably find things you love and you'll enjoy it, regardless of the spec or limited upgradeability.

However, If you approach it with "let's see what all the fuss is about" mentality then you'll probably come away feeling cheated. I find that a lot with PC users.. my friend for example, came over my house and said "Can I go on MSN?".. goes on, and within 5 minutes he's moaning about 1 thing or another. I explain that the MSN client is a few months/years behind the Windows Live! one and he just say there laughing his arse off and said "Wow, I wants me one of these" :rolleyes:

That said, I have never had any issues with Leopard, and it flies on my iMac so perhaps I haven't had a bad experience like some on here (Slogan's wireless issues), so I'm inclined to prefer OS X over Windows. It's the anti-Mac, fanboys that annoy me.. as do a select few of the diehard Mac fanboys that give us a bad name.. those ads don't help either ;)

It's alright playing with a Mac, but until you own one.. you can't comment.

I have no idea where I was going.. I'm ranting :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I love my macbook pro and OSX but there is just one thing that i REALLY REALLY hate and it sounds silly but could be a reason to dump OSX and thats how safari or firefox looks, it looks blurred compared to how IE looks in vista/xp. People have told me it just the way it is and there is nothing i can do. It drives me mad and it looks *&^% :mad:

Permabanned
I love my macbook pro and OSX but there is just one thing that i REALLY REALLY hate and it sounds silly but could be a reason to dump OSX and thats how safari or firefox looks, it looks blurred compared to how IE looks in vista/xp. People have told me it just the way it is and there is nothing i can do. It drives me mad and it looks *&^% :mad:

Take a look at http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000884.html for why it looks so different

Associate

Sounds like I'm in a similar boat to the one you were in, mate. I did do quite a lot of gaming but I was more focused on 3D apps, especially Vue 6 and I was on 32-bit. I also used to tweak and fettle and customise to death! Editing the registry, cutting back on Services etc.

It's going to be a big leap going from XP to OS X 'cos I feel I know XP inside out, but I've definitely made my mind up.

I'll still have MCE on my Shuttle for my HTPC and may stick with it for the long-term. Yes it has faults (Uunderstatement of the Year Award goes to... :D) but I can at least workaround them for my needs.

But as I've said before- my computing needs are a lot different and a lot less demanding these days, my main PC's ready for admission to the Laughing Academy and I just couldn't do another MoBo/RAM swap, fresh install, security updates...

Associate

I use Firefox and pick one font to use exclusively. I use Tahoma and it shows up like this:

ishot-5.png

Looks fine to me. Windows fonts look very skinny now.

Try choosing a few different fonts until you find something you're happy with :)

Associate
Sounds like I'm in a similar boat to the one you were in, mate. I did do quite a lot of gaming but I was more focused on 3D apps, especially Vue 6 and I was on 32-bit. I also used to tweak and fettle and customise to death! Editing the registry, cutting back on Services etc.

It's going to be a big leap going from XP to OS X 'cos I feel I know XP inside out, but I've definitely made my mind up.

I'll still have MCE on my Shuttle for my HTPC and may stick with it for the long-term. Yes it has faults (Uunderstatement of the Year Award goes to... :D) but I can at least workaround them for my needs.

But as I've said before- my computing needs are a lot different and a lot less demanding these days, my main PC's ready for admission to the Laughing Academy and I just couldn't do another MoBo/RAM swap, fresh install, security updates...

Same here - I was also heavily into building and upgrading my pcs - back in the P2 350 era - right up until about 1 year ago. I shudder to think how much money I've spent upgrading just for the hell of it!

I've not settled down with mac os and I find it extremely intuitive (even though that word is banded around a lot!) and i like the fact that everything talks to each other perfectly!

Anyway - I still use my work laptop everyday and I actually like vista - yes its sluggish in some areas - but I do think MS have done a good job...

Tom*

Man of Honour
I'm yet another person in the same boat as EVH really. I spent a lot of time building my own PCs, spent ages cutting down services, removing rubbish, tweaking the registry and in the end I had my XP machine running flawlessy. As said though, I spent a hell of a lot of money and time upgrading my PC every so often. Being a student at the time I could afford the time and part time work meant I had enough money.

Then I moved to London for work, to start with I left my PC at my parents and just took my windows laptop with me. The big change for me was, I was busy with work and was out with friends a lot so I didn't have a lot of free time. I just wasn't bothered with gaming any more so that didn't matter so I sold me desktop to a friend and just worked on a laptop. I decided I needed something powerful for video encoding and stuff so I bought a sony sz laptop (one of the very first) and it was pretty good.

Then I had a play with aperture on a mac one day and was instantly sold on the application (I still believe there is not a better photo library app available for any platform). Being as it's mac only I needed to buy one, so I bought a macbook pro to run it.

Thing is, after using it alongside my sony laptop for a few months I realised that I almost exclusively used my mac, the reason was simply that I didn't want to tweak windows to perfection any more, I didn't care about overclocking. I got home from work at 8 at night and just wanted to check my emails, put some music on my ipod etc and the mac always just worked, no hassle, job done. I sold the sony and I've been a mac user ever since.

Worth noting, as part of my job, I know absolutely everything there is to know about windows 2003 server, active directory and exchange server. Everything. It's not without flaws but it's a good platform, the thing is, I just don't rate windows for home use. Fine if you want to game then it's a requirement really but I don't have time for that anymore, if I wanted to game a bit I'd buy a PS3 to be honest. I just don't have the time or energy to fight with windows to get it the way I want it, my mac just work for me.

I've seen a fair bit of vista at work and tried it on my work laptop and promptly removed it a few weeks later because it was slow, reduced the battery life by half and didn't have any advantages over XP...I'm not a fan I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom