Whats the best 1TB HDD

Associate
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB

or

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Also which is better WD Black or Green ??

Im planning on getting Windows 7 £30 for Students :D so im think about ordering a Crucial M225 64GB SSD which i'll fill that easly so i'll need a 1TB HDD for games,vidoes,etc.
Then i'll sell my 250GB and 500GB drive i have atm.

Soldato
I would get the F3 (2 platters) over the Caviar Black (3 platters); as regards which is better the black or green, it depends on use, but choose Black for better performance, and Green for less noise and heat, although I (personally) would rather have an F2 EcoGreen than WD Green...

Soldato
I own both the Sammy F1 and F2, and have just ordered an F3.

The F1's (I have two) have been superb drives for my main system. Very fast, reasonably quiet and 100% reliable. I have had both for about a year.

The F2 is almost as fast as the F1's. It only runs at 5,400rpm but has 500GB platters which almost makes up for the lack of rpm. It is the quietest hdd I have owned and works very well in my Sky HD box.

The F3 has been purchased for a new Win7 build. I have been very happy with both the F1 and F2 drives so it was an easy choice for me. Benchmarks show the F3 is currently the fasted 7,200rpm drive you can buy. Average read/write speeds are >140Mbits/sec which beats even the 10,000rpm raptors.

A hard disk with 500GB platters is the way to go at the moment.

Associate
The F2 is almost as fast as the F1's. It only runs at 5,400rpm but has 500GB platters which almost makes up for the lack of rpm. It is the quietest hdd I have owned and works very well in my Sky HD box.

Oh so that's the reason why so many Sky+ and Sky+ HD boxes break down. Should've seen that one coming. ;)

Associate
most people are using SSD for their OS and Apps at the moment so only need a 64 or 80GB drive - at the very most 160GB.

For 1TB in an SSD you are talking BIG money

Associate
Im wondering if to buy a ssd for windows 7 and adobe cs4 and install games etc on my 500gb wd Caviar Black but my problem is my TB for storage is full so i need another one so it get a ssd or be smart and get another tb why i read this lol, any good 1.5tb drives out?

Associate
if i may, jump in on this and also ask which 1tb to get, im not sure weather to go internal or external.
either way i want it to be as reliable as pos for backing up everything i have.

Associate
if i may, jump in on this and also ask which 1tb to get, im not sure weather to go internal or external.
either way i want it to be as reliable as pos for backing up everything i have.

Well what I've done is, I've bought a WD My Book Essential Edition 1TB External Hard Drive, and because I download a lot of media, I run AVG, Eset online scanner and Kaspersky online scanner before I back up my data onto it, so that way I minimize the risk of getting a virus onto my back up HDD.

Now, a lot of users on this forum back up their data through internal RAID arrays, but I prefer this method for the aforementioned reason. That, and this drive is fairly quick, and it's WD which means it'll be uber reliable.

If you want to back up your media onto an internal HDD though, I'd suggest this baby. I have not seen A SINGLE thread reporting one of these as having failed or DOA, whereas I've seen loads of people saying they've had problems with Samsung drives, and a few reporting problems on Seagate 1.5tb drives and Hitachi drives.

All in all mate, because you want something ultra reliable, get yourself a WD drive, whether internal or external. :)

Hope this helps.

Associate
I bought 2x 500gb F3's instead of an SSD, cost me £80 and I got excellent performance for a lot less cost.

Using RAID 0 with a nightly backup to a RAAID 1 NAS.

Associate
Well what I've done is, I've bought a WD My Book Essential Edition 1TB External Hard Drive, and because I download a lot of media, I run AVG, Eset online scanner and Kaspersky online scanner before I back up my data onto it, so that way I minimize the risk of getting a virus onto my back up HDD.

Now, a lot of users on this forum back up their data through internal RAID arrays, but I prefer this method for the aforementioned reason. That, and this drive is fairly quick, and it's WD which means it'll be uber reliable.

If you want to back up your media onto an internal HDD though, I'd suggest this baby. I have not seen A SINGLE thread reporting one of these as having failed or DOA, whereas I've seen loads of people saying they've had problems with Samsung drives, and a few reporting problems on Seagate 1.5tb drives and Hitachi drives.

All in all mate, because you want something ultra reliable, get yourself a WD drive, whether internal or external. :)

Hope this helps.

I would normally agree on WD being reliable but after having a 250gb passport fail on my twice even after its been replaced with new one from WD im not so sure on them now.
Im also thinking more towards external as i can carry around and keep heating down inside case too.

uv

uv

Soldato
I would normally agree on WD being reliable but after having a 250gb passport fail on my twice even after its been replaced with new one from WD im not so sure on them now.

There's a deluge of people experiencing the same with Samsung drives though, myself included. There isn't a chance in hell I'd purchase a Samsung drive again :/

Associate
Western Digital always gets my vote now. Had a 320gb & 640gb F1 fail on me. The replacement 640gb also failed and the replacement for that is useless. Makes my case vibrate something terrible, as if the platter is out of balance.

All the drives were reporting AJ26 smart errors which is a platter problem.

Using a WD Green now.

Associate
There's a deluge of people experiencing the same with Samsung drives though, myself included. There isn't a chance in hell I'd purchase a Samsung drive again :/

Unfortunately have to agree as my F1 has just bitten me in the bum too. Great performance when they're working but I wouldn't trust it to store anything you don't back up regularly.

Associate
Other way for me - I tend to build PCs (small business servers ) and so far i've had no F1 fail out of 30 builds (i tend to use these now as preference) ,4 WD's (various models) fail in 50 and I don't use seagate or Hitachi/IBM at all as just too many hassles over the years

Back
Top Bottom