What's the best motherboard/CPU/RAM upgrade for me??

Soldato
OP
Your temps are fine - great even.

And it is running at 3.4GHz - all bar 0.79Hz (normal) :)

I'm not sure I follow this - I thought the stock speed was 3.3GHz, not 3.4GHz??

The speed changes because of turbo boost and power saving modes will throttle the cpu down really slow when its not being used. :) I forget the exact name of it on that platform but i think it might be called c1e that causes it to drop to those speeds and turbo boost that brings it up to the high speed.

Thanks! Makes sense!

Thanks for the continued help guys - I'm off to bed now but will pick up on this tomorrow and like the idea of getting the RAM overclocked and stable and then getting the CPU up there!

Soldato
To be fair having just seen the words Prime 95 i allow myself to skim read, P95 is not a good tool to be using. It puts an unatural strain on the cpu that it will never see during gaming loads. you really should just test it's stability via playing the games you play.
Agreed, but it was suitable for the clock Micky suggested for a quick test - especially as it happened to buckle straight away - so saved a lot of messing.

Nothing substitutes general usage for stability testing - but short stress tests are very quick at identifying bad clocks straight off the bat - so short runs are still advisable.

Soldato
Have a nice sleep Stevie :), For a stress test i would really use aida64 as its a lot more realistic and actually provides some really nice performance figures too. Including if anything like throttling is occurring.
I like aida too far more representative - but i'm old school and prime still has it's uses for identifying flaky clocks quickly.

Soldato
Thanks for the continued help guys - I'm off to bed now but will pick up on this tomorrow and like the idea of getting the RAM overclocked and stable and then getting the CPU up there!
Night stevie.

But the memory isn't clocked - it will just be running at XMP (harry! :D) :)

Soldato
OP
Right, back on deck and am going to give the RAM change a try!

Going to enable XMP and alter the DRAM Voltage to 1.59 - will report back with how stable it is in games etc!

Just as an aside, I've downloaded AIDA64 Extreme from cnet (the actual AIDA site only seemed to have versions for Android, iOS, Ubuntu and Windows phone!?!?) - it's given me a 30-day trial but I have no idea what to "run" to stress test/benchmark the system - any pointers?

Also, is there a decent free benchmarking tool I can use to get a base reading of my system performance to hopefully gauge what sort of difference these tweaks are making??

Thanks again for the help guys....

Soldato

Going to enable XMP and alter the DRAM Voltage to 1.59 - will report back with how stable it is in games etc!

Just as an aside, I've downloaded AIDA64 Extreme from cnet (the actual AIDA site only seemed to have versions for Android, iOS, Ubuntu and Windows phone!?!?) - it's given me a 30-day trial but I have no idea what to "run" to stress test/benchmark the system - any pointers?

Also, is there a decent free benchmarking tool I can use to get a base reading of my system performance to hopefully gauge what sort of difference these tweaks are making??

A great benchmark for performance metrics would be something like unigen valley. It's free and is very good for showing improvements in performance.

For Aida64 you will want to press the tools drop down at the top, followed by System stability test. That will open this window.

z9kbKTH.png

On here choose what you want to stress test, ideal to leave it as stock IE the top 4. Press start and it will start to stress your system but with a none over the top P95 workload that is none realistic of usage. But it will pin your system to the wall :) IE similar to video rendering..

EDIT : Welcome back hope you had a good sleep.

In terms of sleep this is me right now :D

wvncMr.jpg

Soldato
OP
Thanks!!!

Got myself a baseline score at stock everything on Unigine Valley Benchmark (although I've not changed any settings - ie. antialiasing off!?! - should I have done?)

Scores as follows:

FPS: 72.7
Score: 3041
Min FPS: 23.9
Max FPS: 137.0

It does appear to be more of a GPU benchmark though (or are CPU/RAM tests going on behind the scenes?) and the only other anomaly is that it's reporting my OS as "Windows 8 (build 9200) 64bit"

Soldato

Mornin' Stevie

There's a few out there Aida64, Cinebench and Unigen Valley is a good free tool as mentioned above.

I have a slightly different approach to harrry for testing clocks - we both agree in principle that the day to day running being the absolute true test. The reality is that a PC can pass all the stress tests you throw at it - (e.g. 24 hr synthetic benching used to be the norm) - and yet go on to buckle when browsing or have cold boot issues etc. Overclocking can be tricky when pushing the limits (which we wont be).

There's no right or wrong approach as long as it leads to stability (and you don't slaughter your CPU in the process)- but i when i'm clocking 'virtually' via the web i've always found a 10 minutes 'blend test' (which stresses both memory and CPU synthetically) useful to quickly identify flaky clocks and especially heat issues. Yes, it's not a real world application of the CPU - but then it was designed for that very purpose - and if your system was at stock it would run the test all day long - even small ffts which crucify the CPU.

As an a side - if you think prime95 is bad harry - members use to swear by IBT about 8 years ago (never saw the point myself - like you with prime i guess :))- now that truly is a nuts synthetic test but some people still swear by it. Different strokes etc..

For example, ideally we would run your memory for a few days at it's XMP - to see if it's stable. If you started to get freezing or BSOD - we would pretty much be able to identify it as the memory straight away. Run memtest - job done.

However, as we're running your memory at the XMP (for the first time in 5 years) - doing a quick gaming test/bench test and then introducing a clock - there's going to be a nagging doubt as to which component is causing the error - the CPU, memory or combination of both (fun this clocking process).

But, if it passes blended stress test with the memory at XMP - we'll call it stable an move from there for speed.

EDIT: You've started already - i'll leave you to it. As mentioned either approach is equally valid (personally i like a mix) - as long as you're stable at the end of it. And as we've both mentioned it's the day to day stability that is the 'key' stability test.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks!!!

Got myself a baseline score at stock everything on Unigine Valley Benchmark (although I've not changed any settings - ie. antialiasing off!?! - should I have done?)

Scores as follows:

FPS: 72.7
Score: 3041
Min FPS: 23.9
Max FPS: 137.0

It does appear to be more of a GPU benchmark though (or are CPU/RAM tests going on behind the scenes?) and the only other anomaly is that it's reporting my OS as "Windows 8 (build 9200) 64bit"

You will see gains from everything within this benchmark :) it's a great all rounder.

You won't see any difference from the Ram being in XMP mode really but the cpu you will see gains :). There is a dedicated benchmark thread for it here

If you do want to try something else with slightly more details analysis of cpu gains then you could try 3dmark firestrike But i am unsure of how good the free one is :).

Soldato
As an a side - if you think prime95 is bad harry - members use to swear by IBT about 8 years ago (never saw the point myself - like you with prime i guess :))- now that truly is a nuts synthetic test but some people still swear by it. Different strokes etc..

Everyone is up early today :D. I actually used to swear by P95 until haswell came out, the latest ( at the time ) version of P95 was only safe to run at stock volts as it uses different sets of instructions that desktop chips will never realistically encounter. The server chips actually clocked down there cores and voltages when it detected it was running AVX2 extensions (that P95 does) Games use AVX1 not 2. The desktop chips don't do this and it caused a fair bit of damage. This is why i no longer like to use it as i like to avoid the avx2 extensions as they are completely irrelevant. Even though the older chips like sandybridge are not effected by this in the same way, i still like to avoid it when there are other utilities out there with more useful methods of stressing a cpu.

There's a few out there Aida64, Cinebench

Ah yeah Cinebench is a dedicated cpu performance bench :).

Overclocking can be tricky when pushing the limits (which we wont be).

I agree entirely :) I think 4.2/3 will be a grand spot as is very stable with these chips.

I do feel that we are both leaning a bit heavily with synthetics however as we as you said yourself above agree that the best benchmark is always personal use. I haven't actually run a stress test on a system for a while, i overclock and play my games. If i don't crash within a few days. I push it a little further and eventually il find something that causes a crash and il work from there. It's always done well by me :).

I can't do that anymore - i have kids that keep me up all night :)

Loved that series - and Hot Fuzz/Shaun of the Dead

Haha! they got so much stuff spot on in it.

Soldato
I do feel that we are both leaning a bit heavily with synthetics however as we as you said yourself above agree that the best benchmark is always personal use. I haven't actually run a stress test on a system for a while, i overclock and play my games. If i don't crash within a few days. I push it a little further and eventually il find something that causes a crash and il work from there. It's always done well by me :).

Agreed, i must admit i like your relaxed approach and followed a similar path with my nephew's clock as i had the system for a while to play with. But overclocking 'virtually', i've found, can be tricky as you can't see what the user is doing - so i tend to lean more heavily on the synthetic test - to route out 'user' error as much as hardware (no offence Stevie :D).

Haha! they got so much stuff spot on in it.

They did (Simon Pegg can do no wrong) - boxset staple. :)

Soldato
Everyone is up early today :D. I actually used to swear by P95 until haswell came out, the latest ( at the time ) version of P95 was only safe to run at stock volts as it uses different sets of instructions that desktop chips will never realistically encounter. The server chips actually clocked down there cores and voltages when it detected it was running AVX2 extensions (that P95 does) Games use AVX1 not 2. The desktop chips don't do this and it caused a fair bit of damage. This is why i no longer like to use it as i like to avoid the avx2 extensions as they are completely irrelevant. Even though the older chips like sandybridge are not effected by this in the same way, i still like to avoid it when there are other utilities out there with more useful methods of stressing a cpu..

Just noticed your edit - interesting info, cheers. :)

Everyone is up early today :D.

You can't, not, be up early in our house with a daughter kneeling on your chest at 06:00 - staring at you in the face to see if you eventually wake :s

God i'm knackered...

Soldato
OP
I'm on it guys, just had to take my 6 y/o to football practice!

Left my stock system running the AIDA test before tinkering with the RAM later!

I'll test the new settings over a couple of days but is it worth running memtest up front too?

Soldato
OP
I'll give it a go when I get home later - enabled the XMP and changed the DRAM voltage to 5.9 and played 10 minutes of The Division without any issues (and ran the in-game benchmark!) and I've left AIDS running along with coretemp just to see how things go!

Thanks for the continued help guys!

Back
Top Bottom