What's the best motherboard/CPU/RAM upgrade for me??

Soldato
I'm all for this!!!! - that way I could afford to kick all of this into touch and splurge on the Ryzen build in Plec's early post! :D

I've specced so many Ryzen builds and even built one on the fly for a friend when passing through (ordered parts ready and built it during a brief 2hr visit - was meant to be a rest break) so it is getting more and more tempting.

I don't need it - I have more than enough grunt in my present rig. I can still see me upgrading completely, just to have a play, when the builders finally leave - if they ever do... :/

Soldato
I've specced so many Ryzen builds and even built one on the fly for a friend when passing through (ordered parts ready and built it during a brief 2hr visit - was meant to be a rest break) so it is getting more and more tempting.

I don't need it - I have more than enough grunt in my present rig. I can still see me upgrading completely, just to have a play, when the builders finally leave - if they ever do... :/

Im on a 6700k :) totally getting a threadripper if the per core performance is comparable to current ryzen.

Soldato
OP
Well the house hasn't burned down and the RAM seems to be handling the new speed OK for now! *crosses fingers*

AIDA has been running for the last 5 hours without any issue (does it stress RAM??) and I'll try some gaming over the next few days to test it out in real-life situations!

Just giving memtest a go in the meantime - how long should I give it? (or how many passes anyway)

Soldato
AIDA64 stresses everything (it's a complete blend test), even the memory to degree - had no idea you were running it...

It's not as comprehensive as memtest, for testing memory, as it can't test all the memory inside the Windows environment. Plus memtest is a 'dedicated' memory stability test (not a stress test) and runs within its own pure environment (No OS required or interfering)

I would let it do a few passes and call it stable - then use and abuse the system with games/browsing etc. But unless you have a faulty stick I don't see it having a problem running at XMP at 1.59V. I have the same memory running at 1.5V - most sets run at 1.5V/1.55V without any issues. So your 1.59V should be solid - unless you have a faulty stick, which memtest would spot.

Soldato
Well the house hasn't burned down and the RAM seems to be handling the new speed OK for now! *crosses fingers*

AIDA has been running for the last 5 hours without any issue (does it stress RAM??) and I'll try some gaming over the next few days to test it out in real-life situations!

Just giving memtest a go in the meantime - how long should I give it? (or how many passes anyway)

good to hear that the house isn't burnt down. Bit of games and such and then onto the fun stuff! cpu. Getting those gains!

Soldato
OP
Right, not exactly a comprehensive test of the RAM time-wise but Memtest went fine with no errors reported and I've done a bit of gaming on The Division as well as a couple of hours internet browsing off a cold boot earlier today!

I'm champing at the bit to give the overclocking a whirl - especially as I'm hoping to get my hands on a Vive later this week if all goes to plan!

Where do I start? (and remember, keep it simple if you can - I'm just a beginner at this!)

Cheers guys...

Soldato
We'll keep things really simple - we'll set the muliplier to 43 and bump up the vCore to 1.3V (this should be enough).

Save and exit.

If it boots - run AIDA64 (keep harry happy :D) - and watch your temps for 10 minutes.

If it remains stable - report back with results.

EDIT: we have similar inputs :)

If it was 4.2GHz you wanted - still keep the same voltage input as the aim is to lower the votage in increments until it buckles, over time, and then go back to the last known stable voltage.

Or, if your temps are fine and it's stable you can leave at 1.3V without any issues...

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
OK, quick update on this - I've changed the multiplier to 43 and set the "CPU Core Voltage" (assume this is the "vCore"?) and clicked save!

It's booted fine and I'm running AIDA64 and here are the CPU-Z and Core Temp programs:

n4k2a8.jpg

Firstly the voltage appears to be 1.336V rather than 1.3V - assume this fluctuates "around" what you set it to?

Secondly the multiplier seems to be "x 37.0 (16-43)" - I was expecting this to say "x 43"!?!? (especially as AIDA is stressing the CPU isn't it??)

Thirdly, the temps seem to be hovering mid-50's but have peaked as high as 62 since taking this screenshot - are these acceptable?

Thanks for any pointers!

Soldato
Looks like you've set the voltage but the multiplier hasn't saved as it's still at stock.

Re-check your settings in the BIOS - and save and exit again.

Temps are fine and voltage discrepancy is normal.

Back
Top Bottom