• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Whats the Best/Worst upgrade you made to your pc?

Associate
Not sure where to place this, so put it here as it may be relavent with regards to gfx card upgrades...

For me the Best upgrade i made was a 80gb external USB HD, allows me to store all my ghost images and important files... So much better than burning to DVD's... The Worst upgrade i made was getting one of the FX series nvidia gfx cards, bought it from a poplular highstreet store, benchtested it, and took it back, was a pile of carp... :(

Anyone else upgraded components on their pc that they've either been happy with or wished they hadn't bothered gettin?

best = 880gts 640, worst = thermaltake tsunami case when i first built my rig (athlon 64 4000, 2 gb pc3200) still have the graphics card and unfortunately the case as well, but a nice c2d setup lessens the agony, see sig

Best upgrade would probably be the GF2 GTS from a Matrox G400 and worse would be that stupid Thermaltake Super Orb I bought for my athlon t-bird, bloody thing cracked the core which made me scared of taking off heatsinks of CPU's for a while.

best: my current set up,

worst: my n00by 1st setup that was in a see through perspex case (UV reactive) with UV lights all over the place millions of flashing fans.

Should have seen the wiring, more molexes joined together than you've ever seen on a shelf (if you have ever seen them on a shelf) the q-tec (550w i think) PSU blew up at least 3 times, and the fan on the graphics card had to be replaced, NIGHTMARE the whole thing.

Dan2kx said:
best: my current set up,

worst: my n00by 1st setup that was in a see through perspex case (UV reactive) with UV lights all over the place millions of flashing fans.

Should have seen the wiring, more molexes joined together than you've ever seen on a shelf (if you have ever seen them on a shelf) the q-tec (550w i think) PSU blew up at least 3 times, and the fan on the graphics card had to be replaced, NIGHTMARE the whole thing.
very nice setup m8 i actually thought about the p5w to base a rig on, but i had two 7900gt cards that i wanted to experiment with in sli, hence i got the evga 680i, then tried sli for aout 2 days, got ****** of with it and just used the 8800gts. next up is a q6600 when the prices drop

NO SWEARING

Best: 3DFx VoodooII, Geforce2 GTS, Geforce 8800 GTX
All great cards that augmented my gaining experiance and lasted a long time.

Worst: Akasa All-in-one
Worst cable mess in history. The only useful thing is the card reader, and that wouldn't work. Also the card slots were actually too tight far the cards. Lost a 256mg SD card just trying to fit it in :( Went straight in the bin.

Best upgrades,

GPU's
3dfx Voodoo 2
Geforce 4600ti
8800gtx

CPU
Intel 486 DX2 66mhz
AMD K6-2 450mhz
Intel P3 Slot 1 800mhz
Intel P4 3.0ghz (Northwood)
Intel Core duo E6300 @ 2.6ghz

Sound Cards
Sound Blaster AWE32
X-Fi

Worst Upgrades

ummmmmm, a few early cyrix cpu's and then later a few celeron ones, a couple of old sis chipset mobo's, an ati all in wonder card (my god that was bad), a Geforce FX5600, that's all I can remember right now.

Last edited:
Best thing by far is my Dell2407. But thats not really an upgrade to my pc.
So I'd have to choose my case. Its the original Globalwin version of the Akasa Eclipse, and I have a full clear side panel for it. Great case that has housed many different variations of my rig!

Worst thing I have ever bought would be my current e2160 + Asrock mobo. I downgraded for financial reasons over the summer from a quad core that would do 3GHz on under 1.3v. But sold that because I wasn't really using it, and wanted to sell it before loosing a load of money with the price drops. It got too hot too, but now I've got a water loop that wouldnt have bothered me!

Best I guess has to be the C2D. Definitely made my computer feel much faster then my old P4. Next best is the 2900XT but that cost a bomb. Most expensive thing I've bought.

Worst.. hrm.. well a crappy akasa pci slot booster fan that whined the entire time.. and.. well it's not really a worst upgrade but worst time was when I discovered my P4 was a 478 pin after checking dell site and them telling me it was 775. I had already bought a new 775 motherboard. Atleast that meant I had to buy my c2d so not really that bad in the end.

The only other worst thing I can think of is the 7900GS I bought off MM, came with half of it bent about 5deg or more and was never quite all there.. really wasn't after I knocked a resistor off it by mistake. :o

Best upgrades:

X800 Pro VIVO which I flashed
C2D
8800 GTS
Gigabyte DS4

Worst:

Being retarded and thinking that a Hiper Type R was a decent PSU (quite a while ago I hasten to add)
A Thermaltake Tenor case to build an HTPC, horribly small fans, very noisy and got exceptionally hot even with low end components in it.
Razer Barracuda headset, One hundred pounds worth of utter crap, I can't shift them for love nor money :(

Back
Top Bottom