• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Whats the Best/Worst upgrade you made to your pc?

Best: It's got to be my Lian Li PC-A06B, the layout and features inside as well as how great it looks from the outside, I had never thought a PC could look quite so stylish.

Worst: Giving my dad the geforce fx5200 I had at the time and then buying a radeon9600 which turned out to be slower still (it was a crippled LE version). What an amazing 'upgrade' that was :rolleyes:

best:
moving from a
p4c/1gb/5950u/2*120gb/a2zs pp/15"crt/generic kb+mouse
to
x2/1gb/x1900xtx/xfi ep/s750/vx924/4*80gb

Wow, the speed increase was amazing.

x2 > x3210/fx5600/4gb/5*80gb, it seems my pc upgrades result in a new pc around 2x faster than my older one. :D

worst:

thermaltake xaser III alu + side window :mad:

loud, flimsy, front heavy, terrible cooling, expensive, cramped for its size and terrible construction and quality of parts used. Put me off thermaltake for good and as someone new to custom computers at the time, made me wonder why people bothered.

asktek 120.1 waterchill kit, was still new to cooling at the time, though it would be a great way to get into water.
NO.
Pump was louder than car engine at redline, cooling was hardly any better than my xp-90 + 92mm zalman and it ended up killing my 5950u one morning when the tube fell out of the cpu block on power on, had to spend all my then, savings on a 6800xt :(

Best: 8800 GTS 640MB - a revelation from a 6800 GS, I went a played a load of games again, it was that different.

Worst: SLi Memory, what was I thinking :confused: Played merry hell with my CPU overclock.

As comic book guy would say:-

Worst...
gimmick...
ever.

BEST - going from Socket A to 939. CSS was crawling on its knees on the Socket A machine but as soon as I went to 939 its was like wow!

WORST - Thinking I could do C2D in stages with an Asrock mobo.... ended up building another new computer in the end see sig lol

Best - Probably my Corsair HX520 PSU, as it solved a problem with my crossfire rig that I thought was unfixable.

Worst - this is a tie between OCZ DDR400 2gig Ram and a 8800GTX. Mainly because these items never materialized. Yep, I got scammed. On fleebay. :( .

Not only that, but since filing for Buyers protection on fleebay to try and get some of my money back for the RAM, still no joy after 7 MONTHS!!! Infact they did deposited the money in April...just no into my account, god only knows where it went.

As for the 8800GTX, well, again, it was a no show...£270 worth of nothing, but don't worry, PayPal "Buyer Protection" was there to save the day and manage to recoup me a MASSIVE £48 of the £270 that I spent.

A "Best effort" as they call it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll just go into the corner and cry.

Best is a close call, but it would be going from a 9800pro to an X1900XT. The card sliced through virtually every game when I first got it and still plays most games today at full detail with good frame rates. I spent about 270 quid on it, but it was worth every penny imho.

Worst upgrade would be going from an Athlon 64 3500+ to a X2 4400+. Caused huge stability problems when I first installed it and had to eventually reinstall windows. I rarely even use both cores at once and I only got it to play Supreme Commander (which still runs slow!). Worst 100 quid I spent on computer hardware.

Best - second user 1800XT cost me £60 and as I'm only a casual gamer it creams everything I want it to

Worst - *Ex Wifes Fault* told her we should buy a pc for the kids then aged 9 and 6. what did she do ? went to bloomin Toys R Us and blew £1200 on a P4 1.3 with 128 MB rambus ram 40 gig hdd, Geforce 2 32MB and Windows ME.

Azza said:
Best - Going from S939 to Core2Duo.
Getting an 8800 Ultra.
Buying a MX Revolution mouse. (upgrade?)
Watercooling. :)

Worst - buying a 320mb 8800GTS

Thats it I think.

You need to switch the ultra and GTS around

Best: upgrading my onboard sound to a xfi fatality then turning my speakers on for the first time while playing my first ever battle on medieval 2 total war. And listening to the rain and the thunder storm with hundreds of troops marching towards the enemy :)

Worst: Abit ic7 max 3 had nothing but problems with it :(

Back
Top Bottom