What's the chances on getting my money back..

Man of Honour
Purely based on my thread I checked my account. Realised I had more money than I thought and dumped it in to my mortgage. Woops.

I had exactly the amount I thought :( (would have been nice to find a lot more than I thought heh).

Soldato
Speak to your bank, be really nice nice and ask to do a Direct Debit Indemnity Claim. Tell them you cancelled and they have been fraudulently taking payment. They will refund you immediately and then go to the gym to reclaim the money back.

After that, well who knows. If you have no proof of cancellation then expect them to sell the debt on.
Just curious, will the bank as easily as that refund the money or would they not need to see some sort of proof that the OP had cancelled the membership?

Soldato
One of the reasons why I prefer to pay bills manually rather than have direct debits or continuous card payments all over the place. Also regularly checking online bank statements helps too, although I'm guilty of not checking enough as it depresses me when I realise how little money I have. :(

Soldato
Totally. I know this too well, I work in fraud.
That leads me to another question then, why do the banks offer the scheme? Surely all they are doing is helping to 'dumb become dumber' so to speak (no offence OP) by covering customers arses and removing the duty of responsibility their customers should have over their own affairs!!

Soldato
For simplicity really. Just think about how we used to pay our bills and how much manual input it needed to the consumer, the bank and the provider of the service. It's cheaper for everyone to automate it but there must be protection in place for the consumer as a Direct Debit is an open line to ones bank account.

Soldato
For simplicity really. Just think about how we used to pay our bills and how much manual input it needed to the consumer, the bank and the provider of the service. It's cheaper for everyone to automate it but there must be protection in place for the consumer as a Direct Debit is an open line to ones bank account.
Fair enough, still think it's a handy 'get of jail free card' for the people that don't properly look after their own affairs.

Soldato
Just because the bank get your money back, doesn't mean the company you owed it to won't then chase you for it.

My mum got stung by this badly after her ex decided to reclaim several years worth of line rental and call charges from BT for a business line (in her name) they had put in while they were living together, cue BT chasing her for £3.5k out of the blue...

Associate
Just because the bank get your money back, doesn't mean the company you owed it to won't then chase you for it.

Was reading through the thread and was about to post this after the re-claim method was mentioned. This could open up a world of pain for you OP, if you don't have proof you cancelled the membership!

Caporegime
No I don't check my statements, they go straight into the shredder and I rarely use my online banking. I have no reason to look at them as I have no debits, or thought I had no debits.

i use my banks smartphone app.

once you set it up - 5 minute job. all it now requires is 3 digits from a 6 digit pin or my fingerprint to login.

i can then check my mortgage, savings and current account all with the touch of a button and a quick scan of my finger. i probably check mine daily so i can shuffle money around from 1 thing to the other or to see how much i have left and what i can buy that month that i want, or do i need to dip into the savings for a special purchase, etc.

people who never check are leaving themselves exposed to fraud, paying for stuff they don't use like OP.

Soldato
OP
So I've been to the gym this morning and spoke to the owner and told him what happened. He wasn't happy about the amount of money nor happy with the bloke who I spoke too about cancelling. He assured me I'd get my money back or I could have "free" membership until the sum of money is used. I've asked for the money back and he has cancelled my debit himself.

Man of Honour
It takes just a few seconds to cancel a standing order...........................
Gyms typically collect money by direct debit - very risky cancelling a direct debit without the cancellation being directly authorised by the collecting company... for example if you move home you could end up getting a county court judgement against you (and wrecking your credit rating) as you don't recieve demands for payment sent to your old address.

Back
Top Bottom