whats the dumbest thing youve done in a car

Soldato
1:
60mph around romford ringroad/roundabouts at 3am after a night out

NO I WASNT DRINK DRIVING, but it was still stupid!!! (it was slightly damp after that LONNNG period of summer we had so VERY slippy).

but the real stupid point to this one, is that i was almost totally naked..... I had been to a foam party and decided i didnt want to ruin my car with wet foamy ****, so i took my stuff off apart from my box'ers and had heaters on max.... if i had crashed or been pulled over the police would have had a right laugh seeing me naked in the car! and doing 60 around the ring road was a sure way of bringing down attention on myself.... luckly there isnt any police in romford anymore.

2:
following a "circuit" me and my mates have made through the country lanes..... trying to beat a time of 12minutes. Dark.... slight S bend, or so i thought.. nearly ended up in field. Noticed i was too fast and started under steering, braked slightly, back became loose, but this got the nose "into" corner..... put a small smig of power down to stop over steer, inside wheels on grass for 2nd part of corner... narrowly missing a proper crash into the field.

If this was a race coarse it was a proper good example of taking a chicane at high speed........ on the road, it was absolutely stupid. Made it in 8minutes though. ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Overlag said:
1:
60mph around romford ringroad/roundabouts at 3am after a night out

NO I WASNT DRINK DRIVING, but it was still stupid!!! (it was slightly damp after that LONNNG period of summer we had so VERY slippy)

2:
following a "circuit" me and my mates have made through the country lanes..... trying to beat a time of 12minutes. Dark.... slight S bend, or so i thought.. nearly ended up in field. Noticed i was too fast and started under steering, braked slightly, back became loose, but this got the nose "into" corner..... put a small smig of power down to stop over steer, inside wheels on grass for 2nd part of corner... narrowly missing a proper crash into the field.

If this was a race coarse it was a proper good example of taking a chicane at high speed........ on the road, it was absolutely stupid. Made it in 8minutes though. ;) :rolleyes:

You shaved off 1/3 of the laptime in one run? Either you drove like a granny on previous occasions or shens :p

Soldato
DRZ said:
You shaved off 1/3 of the laptime in one run? Either you drove like a granny on previous occasions or shens :p

that was my mates in a ST and a mini following him, so keeping slow... plus they did it during the day, i did it at 2am, hence i didnt see the corner :p

Kept to the speed limits down the roads.... but thats why i had the problem, trying to keep 60 through that S bend was just daft :o

Soldato
Lots of silly things really (though i'm a lot calmer now). Undertaking at 135 on the hard shoulder. Lots of silly moments really, I think you only ever really remember the most extreme ones, or the unfortunate ones. Touch wood i've only ever stacked it once. I looked sideways whilst driving down a main road, looked back and saw the back end of a kia approaching rapidly. Split decision between piling into the kia, going left onto the pavement or right into oncoming traffic. I stayed straight and hit the kia, sending that into a coach. Fortunately no-one was hurt (apart from my sexy coupe turbo, which was written off.. And a kia..), and all is well :).

Associate
folding my metro tyre chasing my mates golf along a country road. just ended up on the other side of this blind corner. wasnt even going that fast.

oddly enough that was on the way back from a LAN party. my 21" monitor nearly flew through the side window.

left foot braking in the mondeo coming upto some traffic lights. not realising that A. i dont know how to left foot brake
B. that my foot had gone to sleep

nearly smashed up everything within my path

getting the back end up and over a mini roundabout (painted one) whilst rushing to a gig with all the gear in the back and forgetting that my stopping distance is a lot longer with all the gear in.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Overlag said:
luckly there isnt any police in romford anymore.

That's because they have given up :p - Romford is a seriously baaaad place unless your known there these days, or carry a shotgun

I've done a fair few stupid things, worst was in my first car - Astra Mk4 with crap cheap tyres - Went round a blind corner at about 60, about 100 yards up was a lorry PARKED in the road - Queue me slamming on the breaks and praying, rear wheels locked up I stopped about 15ft from the rear end of the thing :eek:
Plus the roads were wet/slippy

Last edited:
Man of Honour
-westy- said:
Sexual act.

Middle of Basingstoke.

Pulled by Police on a routine check..

literally caught with my pants down.

:o
lol, I'm from Basingstoke - where abouts?

Only seriously silly thing I did when I was younger was take my mate's girlfriend's Metro for a joyride at 2am round the country lanes with another mate.. we were both pretty hammered, really not proud of it :o

More than once the car went sideways up onto the steep grassy banks and ended when we had to try to lift it out of the ditch we ended in after attempting a handbrake turn in a field.

She never realised we had taken it, she was in the local graveyard with said mate at the time with her mind on other things so we parked it back again and legged it!

Soldato
-westy- said:
It wasn't me doing the 'romancing' ;)

Was this with Gem? I always knew she was a bit kinky.

Me and Lucy (surely you remember her?) used to get jiggy in the car all the time. Never got caught though :p

p.s. I hope you didn't sit in the passenger seat of the 214 :D

Associate
your mum had a G40? you have a cool mum ;)

jimblowscash said:
whilst remanising in a pub with some old mates about our antics in motors when we passed our tests, early 90's bc (before cameras) i asked the question " whats the dumbest thing youve done in a car", and if im honest i scared myself just thingking about it.
mine was totaly stupid and one of those that looking back on i was very lucky to have survived, and to walk away scot free was a total miricale!
picture the scene 3.00 in the morning, twisty country lane, hump back bridge, mums polo coupe G40, and a mate egging me on..........

hmmm we hit it at 80, i thought the road after the hump went left, it didnt it went right, i took off landed arround 20 meters down the road with two wheels (near side) riding up a wall, the car then tipped over on to its side for arround 30 meters before hitting a telegraph pole and rolling on its roof across the road before coming to rest on its side in a ditch (upside down)

neither or us had a scratch, there wasnt a dent free pannel on the car, the chassis had twisted and we had to get out the boot.

what a dumb ass.

Associate
OP
once i havd an old landie (series 3 swb) and wanted to build a bbq, a mate of mine from work had just moved into a brand new house, and they were still building, so over lunch one day he said i could go over the his house and " borrow" enough bricks to make a kick arse bbq. i went over there ( sheppy island in kent) after work and was soon piling in bricks like no tomorrow as theres loads of space in the back. i had them piled almost to the roof, and the thing was seriously down on its suspension but me ( like a mug) thought no worries, landies are built to take the weight. i thanked my mate for the help and set off down the road. now the steering on a landie, espechaly an old one, is fairly hit and miss as theres usually about two foot play in the wheel ( not quite as bad as that but not far off lol) and we recon i had about a ton and a half of bricks in the back, i was fine getting off his estate and through the island however there is a streatch of road that leads to the bridge that is a 50 limit ( just as well as the landie wouldnt go much faster down hill!) and i decided to let her rip....... however the gas bord had dug up a stretch of the road to fit new pipes, and had put up the kind of plastic barrier / fence that usually has the little orange lights on top, and the landie was really steeming on at about 48 mph. i saw the barrier and turned the wheel, but as the weight was on the back wheels the front had gone all light, to the point that i was allmost on full lock when we hit the barrier. this didnt worry me too much as i had a home made bull bar from hell that took me a few days, lots of scaffold and a welder to make, but i couldnt get the thing to steer away from it.... so i went the full length of the roadworks, smashing the fence as i went ( about 800 yards of it ) as i didnt want to fight it, and i was having quite a good time.... i managed to sort it out and soon discoverd that if i wanted to keep it n a straight line i couldnt go over 40 so i carried on and had a little chuckle to myself.

right up untill the point where a un marked police car whizzed pass me and then slammed on the ancors to have3 a better look, he then put the lights on and pulled me over. i turned the engine off and thought id play it innocent with the old classic " evening officer what seems to be the problem" however as i got out and walked to the front of my landie i saw about half a dozen flashing orrange lights that had collected behind the bull bar and the radiator grill, those and the five foot length of plastic barier that had wedged its self in the bull bar.

needles to say i got a slapped wrist and told to take half the bricks out and leave them at the side of the road but as far as wrecking 800 yards of roadworks went they didnt say a thing and i escaped a fine etc!! they did however releve me of the warning lights, but not before taking a pic on a camera phone! :D

Back
Top Bottom