*Whats the future for diesel engines*

Soldato
Destroying serviceable cars and making totally new ones to replace then is always good for the environment right? :p

Yeah, duh!

The CO2 and other pollution that is produced as a result of the manufacturing, production and distribution of new vehicles doesn't count because you aren't taxed on them.

Associate
Destroying serviceable cars and making totally new ones to replace then is always good for the environment right? :p
Nail on the head and it is all about making money....this govt is shocking...tell us one thing, move over to that...now another...its manipulation and its illegal in my eyes...but hey, we will all do it. Taxing Electric/Hybrids is a joke as well

Soldato
Nail on the head and it is all about making money....this govt is shocking...tell us one thing, move over to that...now another...its manipulation and its illegal in my eyes...but hey, we will all do it. Taxing Electric/Hybrids is a joke as well
Taxing the production of batteries and the extraction of heavy metals to make them should be used to compensate.
Andi.

Soldato
If they really want the most "polluting" diesels off the road, then any scrappage scheme should be weighted based on emissions, rather than outright "trade in" value.
Articles on the already proposed scheme suggests up to £5,000... with payouts based on how close you live to the city and what you're replacing teh diesel with. In other words, to get the full 5k, you have to live in a city centre and buy an EV, with the 5K either being a money-off voucher towards an EV, or a cashback thing that you claim post-purchase.

So, those of us who can barely afford a £1k old diesel will get £5k off the EV we certainly cannot afford... Lovely. Thanks Gov.

Soldato
Articles on the already proposed scheme suggests up to £5,000... with payouts based on how close you live to the city and what you're replacing teh diesel with. In other words, to get the full 5k, you have to live in a city centre and buy an EV, with the 5K either being a money-off voucher towards an EV, or a cashback thing that you claim post-purchase.

So, those of us who can barely afford a £1k old diesel will get £5k off the EV we certainly cannot afford... Lovely. Thanks Gov.

Anyone any idea how this scheme would work? Would you have to trade your old diesel for a 'brand new' car, or could you trade it for one a year or 2 old that met the relevant emissions criteria? I'm interested in this as I have a soon to be 12 year old diesel.

Soldato
In the past it's only been for new cars, which sucks :(

But if it stacks with the existing EV subsidies that would be good. If so you could get the only worthwhile EV (a Tesla) for under 25k

Last edited:
Soldato
It be easy to push people towards petrol or electric cars as all they would need to do is put the price of diesel up by around 30p to 50p per litre..

Am sure I remember that diesel fuel used to cost a fair bit more then petrol years ago :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
It be easy to push people towards petrol or electric cars as all they would need to do is put the price of diesel up by around 30p to 50p per litre..

Am sure I remember that diesel fuel used to cost a fair bit more then petrol years ago :confused:

I am perfectly happy with any policy that will discourage people from buying NEW diesel cars (IE a policy to De-Diesel the PLG market over the next 10-15 years or so)

But to impose additional costs on people who already have diesel vehicles would be a monstrous injustice!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Associate

I would agree with this approach. I suppose the issue will be the increased cost of shipping and logistics, though don't they get a better rate than the normal motorist? Send diesel up to £1.69, send petrol down to £0.99.

Perhaps then, given a few more years, I won't have to stay ever vigilant with my finger hovering over recirculate.

Associate
I do about 20,000 miles a year and have just brought a 1.8 petrol due to the uncertainty of Diesel and having to keep this car for 5 years. Maybe I'm an idiot, maybe not who knows lol

Soldato
I do about 20,000 miles a year and have just brought a 1.8 petrol due to the uncertainty of Diesel and having to keep this car for 5 years. Maybe I'm an idiot, maybe not who knows lol

Same boat as you

I'm after a nearly new car 15/16 plate (replacement for my car that my son written off :mad: ) I've been looking at diesel but with the recent bad press +possible costs going sky high + depreciation and I'm now looking at a petrol version :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom