What's the worst food mistake you've made?

Can't type for toffee
Don
Had come in from a long shift at work, misread both the packaging on some frozen sausage rolls and the power on the microwave...

Ended up having to stop the microwave and open the window, odd I thought as they hadn't been in as long as I thought they needed. Tried to slide the blackened sausage rolls off the plate I had used... they collapsed into dust :eek: and noticed the glaze on the plate looked melted/burned lol

Was bloody starvin and that was the last sausage rolls too :(

Soldato
Not my food mistake but...

Girlfriend's cousin came to stay for a weekend and decided to make herself a nice snack of rice with ketchup (yum).
Bear in mind this girl was 21 at the time.
She had only ever had microwave rice and made the assumption that regular rice + water in saucepan in microwave would work the same way...microwave dead, saucepan ruined, rice turned to dust and kitchen filled with acrid black smoke that we were still blowing out of our noses a week later.

Caporegime
I tried to make garlic fried rice once. I TOTALLY failed. It came out the microwave like a congealed lump of something best not mentioned on a family forum, and didn't really look any better after several minutes of smashing it up in a frying pan with a spoon. Oh, and it didn't taste of garlic at all.

Why on earth did you use a microwave to cook fried rice?

The recipe is in the name.

Garlic first
Fry the rice

Soldato
When I was younger I always used to see Cartoons where the characters were eating Cookies. They had steam coming out of them like they were fresh out of the Oven and it used to make my mouth water... So I got a Cookie out of the cupboard, put it in the Microwave for about five minutes to try and get the same effect. The Cookie and the Microwave caught on fire.

:eek:

Soldato
One of the best things ive done is getting a crossiant, slicing it down the side, popping a nestle choc bar in there and then popping it in the microwave for 30 seconds, oooof the feeling :p

As for mistakes, i once put sugar on my chips :| Could have died :(

Soldato
Tried to make brownies a few years ago, read a recipe that said to add natural yoghurt to the mixture, did that and 40 minutes later the whole house stank so bad for hours, felt like throwing up. :(

Soldato
Due to my acute anosmia I managed to eat some sliced ham which was waaaaaaay passed it's prime.

Knew I was in for a night on the bog when the missus walked in the room and gagged, covered her nose and asked what the smell was. As I was chewing my 5th slice. Sure enough I ended up speaking to Huey later on.

Soldato
Mine was about a year ago. I met an amazing girl, blah blah, offered to cook dinner for everyone; as I was staying in her flatmates room (a good friend). Off I trundle to M+S feeling so clever. I cooked spag-bol, only I overcooked pretty much everything. Anyway, she walked past me in the kitchen and I said "Do you like your spaghetti al dente?, or shall I leave it on". She said "You're not Italian you know", at which point I knew it was all over.

lol..

Last edited:
Soldato
Roughly ten years ago I was at the start of my cannabis downward spiral and decide I was to lazy to make a cake/brownie, so I put an ounce of powdered down resin into a saucepan full of pasta bake sauce (DUMBEST THING I'VE EVER DONE).

To begin with I thought this was brilliant until slowly but surely the feeling kept increasing (BAD TIMES). For three days this kept getting more and more intense by the minute lol, every sound or movement was like Godzilla with a megaphone. My recently departed mother took me up the hospital where I was given this charcoal stuff to drink.

An ounce of solids?. Jesus H Christ, you got off light..

That's scary.

Associate
I had the worst idea for left over food ever but turned out to be the best tasting (ok I was already drunk.)

I got 2 slices of left over pizza, a frying pan and a bottle of jagermeister. Put jager in frying pan like oil then plopped the pizza on and kept soaking the pizza with more jager as I fried it.

Nom...

Soldato
recent mistakes whilst making curries:

missing vital spices thinking "it'll be alright without"

mistaking tsp for tbsp when it comes to spices :o

making a curry from scratch, come to serving and realising i've forgot to make any rice... ok boil water up, go to cupboard and no rice left

the dangers of cutting hot chillies and going for a jimmy riddler ouch

Associate
A girl at uni had never cooked before coming here, she was trying to cook some chicken nuggets which came in a plasticy bag. She thought you left them in the bag to cook. Result: 4 fire engines and a kitchen completely burnt out.

Soldato
When I was younger I didn't like mayonnaise but I did like garlic in everything, I figured a good substitute for my chicken balm would be the garlic puree. Not enough toothpaste in the world can remove that taste from your mouth.

However an even worse taste = one headache addled afternoon with an ibuprofen on standby... mind wandered and I began to chew the ibuprofen, I can't even describe how devastatingly awful it tastes, stomach churning even thinking about it :(

Associate
Way back in my skint student days i mean really really skint, struggling to pay bills no money extra for anything care packages from my mum and all that. once all i had left was some pasta spirals and hotdog sausages no condiments at all. so yeah all cooked up thought it would be a good idea to chop up the sausage and drop it in with the pasta all went well smelt loverly, went to drain off the pasta sausage mix and dropped the whole lot in to the sink full of hot soapy water **** still ate it made me sick that sucked so hard i could cry just thinking about it :'(

Soldato
I began to chew the ibuprofen, I can't even describe how devastatingly awful it tastes, stomach churning even thinking about it :(
I've done that too - simply because I CBA to get a drink.

It's not so much the vile taste that makes you wretch, but more the fact that any moisture in your mouth instantly disappears as you bite into the tablet. Awful.

Took the focus off the headache though.

Associate
Army Rations
Tea, Coffee, Hot Chocolate, 3xSugars, Veggie Stock & Soup drink sachets all mixed in to a half litre cup.
Actually tasted alright (apart from being very, very sweet). Mind, the bits of sweetcorn floating in it did put me off for a while...:)

Back
Top Bottom