What's your most amazing live football experience?

Soldato
Fulham 4 - 1 Juventus was absolutely surreal. Probably the most amazing feeling I've had at a game anyway. In fair, quite a few of the games that season, v Hamburg and Atletico Final included.

Caporegime
The F.A. Cup final, Manchester United V Newcastle at the old Wembley was pretty special too :cool: I'm sure I have the programme somewhere.

I'd still put recent steel city battles above it though, amazing games, it also helps we've won most of the recent ones :p

Associate
Newport County winning the Blue Square South, a massive 4000+ crowd, everybody from the Shed terrace lined up behind a very sheepish looking linesman waiting to go on the pitch at the final whistle.

A world away from the plastic Premier League.

Caporegime
Not another Wiganer that supports Man United :(

Must admit wouldn't mind experiencing Old Trafford

I've seen United at Old Trafford plenty of times, great atmosphere and a properly great ground to be honest.

Love some of the chants, really good atmosphere.

Don't ever go see England play there, it was like a sodding nursery, kids everywhere! Atmosphere evaporated and it was just children making noise.

Soldato

Still get goosebumps watching this. Never been through such a roller coaster ever. When their second went in we'd all given up, you just never see a way back from 2-0 down with 5 minutes to go. When Dickov's equaliser went in I don't think anyone was left anywhere near their original seat we were flying everywhere :D Will be one of the stand out events of my life, let alone just a good live football experience.

Soldato
Was that after the relgation in '96?

Can't be bothered to look it up, it was '96 wasn't it?

We were relegated from the Prem in 96, but the above was our promotion from the (then) second division to the first. We then got promoted again to the Prem straight after, then went straight down, then came straight back up again :D

Soldato
My first ever Newcastle game, in '03? Losing 1-0 to Everton, 10 mins to go, Shearer scores this;

and then Bellamy follows up with the winner. I was pretty young though so don't remember it all that well.

Enjoyed the Notts Forest game a couple weeks back too. I enjoy every game I go to that we win. :p

Soldato
Has to be Liverpool v Olympiakos when Gerrard scored in the last 3 mins (didn't realise it was that late on until we got on the coach) or Liverpool v Arsenal 4 all (1st match I took my missus to)

Honerable mention must go to Mansfield v Chesterfield when Kevin Davies bagged the winner, we took up 3 sides of the Mansfield ground (and hand to be frog marched across the pitch after the match because that was the only safe way back to the 'away' end.

Soldato
Probably for me watching Bristol City two playoff semi-finals.

1) against Palace, we won 2-1 on the night, but was such a strange evening, we went 1-0 down, then conceeded a penalty that was missed, then in extra time Lee Trundle scored and then McIndoe put the icing on the cake to make it safe.

The best for me though was against Hartlepool in the play-off semis in league 1, as the game was gone, with 2 minutes of the 90 left we were 1-0 down and going out, then we nicked one back, then no more than a minute later Christian Roberts went on a mazy run in the box before slotting the ball under the keeper and absolute pendemonium ensues in the stands, never seen anything like it.

Permabanned
Still get goosebumps watching this. Never been through such a roller coaster ever. When their second went in we'd all given up, you just never see a way back from 2-0 down with 5 minutes to go. When Dickov's equaliser went in I don't think anyone was left anywhere near their original seat we were flying everywhere :D Will be one of the stand out events of my life, let alone just a good live football experience.

should have been Wigan at that play off final :mad:

Man of Honour
I have 3 ..

Uefa Cup final 1984..

I thought the stand was going to collapse when Graham Roberts scored his late equaliser.. then of course Tony Parks.

FACUP Semi final v Watford 1987.. What fun semi finals where before being played at wembly.. The atmosphere at Villa Park was amazing. I remember driving all the way there with ribbons and flags over the car.. Of course it helps when you win and we were sitting 7 rows back from Elton John. We lost the final to Coventry which was also an excellent game and a wonderful final.

The other being Arsenal in the 1991 FACUP semi. Arsenal were on course for a league and cup double and I'm not sure , but had only lost one game all season. We came out of blocks faster and stronger and Arsenal never quite caught up after conceding 2 goals inside the opening ten minutes. Gazza was on fire.. They had their quick revenge two years later..

Associate
3rd May 1998 - Arsenal winning the PL with a 4-0 win over Everton. Although the game itself wasn't particularly fantastic, the following memories will stay with me:

• Tony Adams scoring in the 90th minute after a perfect through ball from Bould (he's got no hair, but we don't care). Probably Arsenal's greatest ever captain rounding off a great season. Highbury erupted and Tone just soaked it all up. It brings a lump to my throat just thinking about it.
  • The trophy presentation - I'd seen Arsenal pick up a few trophies in my time but this one sticks in my mind the most.
  • The after game celebrations. I remember my feet hardly touching the ground in Avenell Road, it was just a mass of bodies and you just got carried with the crowd with no choice on where you went. I also remember Ian Wright hanging out of the changing room windows and throwing his socks to the crowd.
  • The ensuing booze-up, I think I drank solidly in various dodgy north London hangouts for the next 24 hours.

It wasn't the actual game that sticks in my mind, but the moments above and the emotions they created. My memory is usually cack, but that day sticks in my mind like it was yesterday.

I wish it was as enjoyable being a gooner today:(

Back
Top Bottom