What's your most amazing live football experience?

Soldato
The Venue - Glebe Park, Brechin 12 March 2010 (Photo not from then!)
IMG_4747_stitch.jpg

Brechin City FC v St Johnstone FC. This was the first time Brechin had made it into the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup, home tie against an SPL side who were struggling with form.

Brechin took the lead from a retaken penalty by Rory McAllister (he encroached in the area when Craig Molloy took the first)

IMG_9198.JPG

Rory McAllister celebrates after putting Brechin in the lead.

IMG_9212.JPG

Glebe Park has a capacity of 3980 and that day the ground had 3472 after taking in health and safety measures. A packed ground by all accounts!

IMG_9250.JPG

After taking the lead Brechin found themselves 2 - 1 down approaching the last ten minutes of the match when up pops Rory McAllister again to slot home from a tight angle to force the tie into a reply at McDairmid Park which would earn Brechin £174k from Sky which will see us ok for the next couple of seasons :)

IMG_9303a.jpg

IMG_9310.JPG

And where was i during all this........

Brechin%20City%20FC%20v%20St%20Johnstone2%20PA%20CHP48a.jpg

Sitting at the sidelines capturing history for our club :D The above photo was taken by Craig Halkett and was published in the Scotland on Sunday the day after the match.

Fantastic day and one I'll never forget. Just a pity we lost one nil on the replay. :(

Soldato
Was Newcastle vs Villa a good 8-9 years ago. I had been to matches before but this time I was at the front next to the dugout. Got a few autographs and chatted with Speed if I remember correctly when he was warming up.

Best part though I was sitting next to some meat head loony Toon fan screaming like a trooper all game (me and my mate were terrified lol) at one point John Gregorygot up to shout something at his players. Thisbloke stands up and screams at Gregory who isabout5 foot away "Hey Gregory, sit down you gob *****!!!" JohnGregory tok one look and sat straight down. I was in stitches laughing :D

Associate
If you are a regular follower of your team, what sticks out in your mind most whether it be a trophy win or a fabulous away day?

Mine was in 1994. Charlton were still a first division club, just back to the valley and a lot of kids my age (14) didn't know what a trip to a massive stadium was like.

However, we amazingly reached the QF's of the FA Cup and were rewarded with a trip to Old Trafford :)

My dad's local (which was the Valley pub in Charlton) put on a coach for the regulars and I was allowed to go.

One of the most amazing experiences of my life. Coming from a stadium like the early days Valley and going up the stairs and walking out to Old Trafford was awe inspiring. It was terraces back then and I got right up the front.

The sheer scale of it for someone of my age and experience was mesmerising. It was a fantastic game. Schmeichel was sent off for handball outside the box. We eventually lost 3-1 but gave it a bloody good go with Valley legend Carl Leaburn getting our consolation. The journey home was good. Everyone was knackered but in good spirits as we knew we had put the frighteners up Utd.

We were all talking about how much we would love to be in that league week in week out, without knowing a few years later we would be.

Everything about that day was great. the journey, the songs, the stadium, the game, the away day comradeship. Brill. Although the one thing that will most stcik in my mind was being absolutely blown away by the speed of an up close Andrei Kanchelskis (for those that remember him).

So, regale me with your favourite football story please :)

I was up at that game too, we were so worried about Cantona we double manned him and Andrei Kanchelskis tore us apart. I also remember Steve Brown being made to look like a sunday league footballer by Ryan Giggs, twisted him up all over the place.

10,000 Charlton supporters making noise at Old Trafford was immense. One of the my best away games most definitely, close up there Is the 2-1 loss to Liverpool 2 years later in cup (Kim Grant lobbing David James) and 1-0 Win at Newcastle in 2000 (Graham Stuart) Prem.

Still gutted to this day that I didn't go to Blackburn when we won 1-0 Darren Pitcher.

Also can't forget 4-4 at Wembley against Sunderland and winning 7-6 on pens.

We might be the worst team in SE London at the moment but we've got the best History, We'll be back..... COYR!!!!

Edit* Theres loads more for me, 5-0 win away at Ipswich (Leaburn Hatt-trick) 1995 and 2003 losing 1-0 at Pompey with 5mins to go, bring on Di Canio (changed the game) Fortune and Bartlett grabbing us a 2-1 win. Unreal. Great days. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom