What's your (most tenuous) claim to fame?

Associate
I've just had an amusing mumsnet thread pop up on my Facebook feed about people's claim to fame, but with a slight twist: the crapper, the better.

I'm sure the good folk of this forum can give them a run for their money, so I'll get the ball rolling:

I served Ferne Britton a box of Maltesers back in the early nineties.

My mate pinched Martine McCutcheon's bum as she walked past us in a nightclub (she had only been in EastEnders for a little while). She laughed nervously and her bodyguard gave him a glare that could be bottled and sold as a WMD.

In the early 80s I went round a school friend's house and saw a picture of his mum next to Martin Shaw (he was Doyle in The Professionals at the time) - they were related in some way, I can't remember how.

I used to walk past 80s wrestling 'legend' Big Bruno's house to and from school.

Me and a mate chatted up Page 3 models Maria Whittaker and Debbie Ashby in a club whilst we were very drunk. All we got was a signed photo AND we bought them a drink....pffft.

Over to you guys...

Soldato
I saw Steven Gerrard in Tesco, then a few weeks later sold his bird a DVD player where I worked.
My stepdad went to school with David something from Heartbeat, I sold him an iron too.

I met and had a decent chat with Tiff Needell

That's it :p

Permabanned
There was this guy, enkoda, who I replied to on a forum once. He once served Ferne Britton a box of maltesers, who's mate pinched Martine McCutcheon's bum, his other friends mum was related somehow with Martin Shaw and he also used to walked past 80s wrestling 'legend' Big Bruno's house to and from school.

Oh AND he and a mate chatted up Page 3 models Maria Whittaker and Debbie Ashby in a club.

So yeah, slightly more tenuous than yours .. but interesting never the less.

Caporegime
Ah I have many...

I'm related to two ex premiership footballers and one current (that's a lie actually, he got demoted last season!).

I was on 'get your own back'.

A BBC news presenter is good friends with my step-mum.

My step-grandad was a famous musician in the 60's and 70's and still to this day to some extent (mostly in Denmark)...where his daughter (my step-aunt) is also famous and her husband was in the 2010 Danish Eurovision entry.

My childhood best friends dad is a major film producer. His dad (my friends grandad) was an even more famous one.
Another school friend from the same school's father is an MP.

Forgot my favourite one though. Bumped in to Phil Harding from Time Team in a pub in Bristol once before a rugby match. Really really nice guy. Sat and had a chat with my dad and I - likes his cider and his rugby (union)!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was once the Worlds leading expert on Domestic Appliances made by The Indesit Company.
I once played guitar in Chuck Berry's backing band.
I played guitar for Showaddywaddy twice.
The coolest thing I did was the sound for the TISWAS Roadshow for about 10 gigs.

Soldato
I told Nicholas Cage where the toilet was.

Dita von Teese's bum touched my hand while she was dancing.

Gordon Ramsay said I was a "hard looking barsteward".

Ed Alleyne-Johnson (the violin player from New Model Army) still owes me a pint.

Man of Honour
Hows this for tenuous I once sat back to back with Katie Price (Jordan) in a pub for a couple of hours and never realised who it was until I saw it in the paper next day - can see the back of my head in a few photos. (Did wonder why she was getting a fair bit of attention).

Last edited:
Soldato
I was in a school production of The Snowman being performed at the theatre and narrated by Tony Robinson. On the day of the performance he was there early in one of the seats reading his script and I spoke to him but he ignored me, I think it was because I called him Baldrick.

Associate
Jimmy Saville invited me back to his dressing room a couple of years back, I've never sucked so hard on a cigar before ;)

On a serious note, Petr Cech is a distant cousin of mine. We both share the same surname as well

Associate
In my job I get to meet famous people all the time, most are not nice people though especially football players and never met a nice reality TV star!

I also once had Katie Price (Jordan) at the time in the bar at my local snooker club, my cousin threw me a bag of cheese and onion Walkers and the hit her straight in her face......how we laughed, luckily we were pretty young children as at the time she was going out with one of the gladiotors who lived locally.

Jade goody was in front of me at a local petrol station, I also once met the guy who looks after David Beckham's fleet of cars at what was Beckingham palace which is a pretty tedious link :).

Soldato
My sister was at Primary school with Russell Brand and I sold a picture of him when he was a chubby ten year old with a bowl cut to the Sun for £500.

My grandfather was a moderately well known actor and in quite a lot of films and TV shows but that's not really tenuous as such.

Back
Top Bottom