What's your personal GOAT ? (Game of all time)

Soldato
The only rule is, it must be 1 game only, that's it, it doesn't matter what state its officially in, beta, released, etc, as long as you have played it, and it was the best thing ever, and you keep coming back no matter what, feel free to write up why its flawless to you, will be interesting to read why.

I'll start:

Supreme Commander Forged Alliance Forged Alliance Forever

Why I chose this game:

I chose SCFA/FAF because for me its sublime unmatched RTS perfection - once picked up, hard to master. Also I love the lore of the game, its a perfect RTS and FAF multi is maintained to this day with incredible balancing and work done for years - nothing matches it for army/base building and trying to outgun your opponent’s, also with an easy to understand, hard to master economy system its all about an endless balance and trying to keep your economy/battles/warcraft in perfect balance at all time to maximise every move. It’s kind of like modern day chess but you have to be on it at all times to win.

Add to that mods like LOUD, and that gives you a great way to play it in a totally different way, both FAF and LOUD with abit of knowledge can be played single player against the AI & you can save your game & come back to it - most days ill play it and need my FAF battle’s fix.

Game play wise its as close to perfection for a RTS that has, and ever will be. All the community wants is a literally identical game, with a modern graphics engine, the game play is nailed to perfection.

If you haven’t tried it, defo get into it - abit of a learning curve picking it up but well worth it, defo my GOAT, I’ve played it frequently over the past decade and now play it daily & it never gets boring, you just want to keep trying to improve. Great community, also check out Gyle cast on YouTube for FAF matches!

I'll only update 1 game answers only, any platform is fine but no ties, or more choices, 1 game only or I won't add it to the tally list - make it clear what your choice is (its ok to list other games but make it clear your 1 choice)

Tally list:

Witcher 3 - 16
Unreal Tournament 1999 - 10
Deus Ex - 9
World of Warcraft - 9
Team Fortress Classic - 8
Half Life 1 - 5
System Shock 2 - 5
Borderlands 2 - 4
Everquest 1 - 4
Final Fantasy VII - 4
Goldeneye - 4
GTA V - 4
Halflife 2 - 4
Quake 3 Arena - 4
Battlefield 2 - 3
Doom - 3
Elder Scrolls 3 : Morrowind - 3
Star Wars Galaxies - 3
Battlefield bad company 2 - 2
Counter Strike - 2
Dark age of Camelot - 2
DCS - 2
Elite - 2
GTA: Vice City - 2
Half Life Alyx - 2
Halo: Combat Evolved - 2
KSP - 2
Mafia - 2
Mass Effect 2 - 2
Metal Gear Solid - 2
Minecraft - 2
Planet Side - 2
Quake Live - 2
Shenmue - 2
Speedball 2 - 2
The last of us - 2
X-Com Enemy Unknown - 2
Age of Empires II - 1
American Truck Simulator - 1
Bioshock - 1
Bioshock Infinite - 1
Blood - 1
BMX - 1
Borderlands 3 - 1
Carrier Command -1
Call of duty 2 - 1
Chrono Trigger - 1
Civ 2 - 1
Civilization VI - 1
Command and Conquer red alert 2. Yuri revenge - 1
Crysis 3 - 1
Dark Souls - 1
Deuteros - 1
Diablo 2 - 1
Divinity 2 origins - 1
Doom - 1
Dune 2 - 1
Dungeon Keeper - 1
Dungeon Keeper 2 - 1
EVE Online - 1
EagleLander3d - 1
Elder Scrolls Online - 1
Elder scrolls - Oblivion - 1
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 1
Escape from Tarkov - 1
F22 Total Air War - 1
Factorio - 1
Fallout New Vegas - 1
Fallout 4 - 1
Farcry - 1
Farcry 3 - 1
Final Fantasy IX (9) - 1
Freelancer - 1
Freespace 2 - 1
Frontier Elite 2 - 1
Gran Turismo 3 - 1
Grand Prix Legends - 1
Halo 3 - 1
Hidden and Dangerous 2 - 1
Hollow Knight - 1
Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising - 1
LOTR battle for middle earth - 1
Lineage 2 - 1
MU Online - 1
Max Payne 2 - 1
Max Payne 3 - 1
Might and Magic VI - 1
Nethack - 1
OpenBVE - 1
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 1
Resident Evil - 1
Rimworld - 1
Silent Hill 2 - 1
Snake - 1
Sniper Elite 4 - 1
Soldier of Fortune 2 - 1
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl - 1
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky - 1
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) - 1
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition - 1
Subspace Continuum - 1
Super Metroid - 1
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance Forged Alliance Forever - 1
Quake 2 - 1
Tetris - 1
The Bard's Tale - 1
The Chaos Engine - 1
The Division 1 - 1
Tomb Raider 2 - 1
Vampire the masquerade: bloodlines - 1
Warcraft 3 and The Frozen Throne Expansion - 1
Wing Commander - 1
Wing Commander 3 - 1
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 1
Zelda - 1
Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 1

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
To the OP, I feel the Supcomm love, have you heard of a game called Beyond All Reason? It's basically a modern indie version of SC:FA

Yeah heard of it, but it doesn't click with me - there is another one that was featured on Gyle's channel recently, that is basically SUPCOM FAF 100% with better graphics, I forget its name.

Soldato
OP
Dragon age origins
Mass effect 2
Resident Evil 4
Witcher 3
Bioshock
Dark souls (any of them really)
Elder scrolls Obvlivion

Special mention goes out to Mirrors edge. Its a game I run through every couple of years and its like comfort food to me. I just love playing through it.

People are just listing games. Remember make it clear what your ONE CHOICE is or I can't update the tally.

Soldato
OP
List updated, really pleased with all the votes coming in !!

Have now highlighted the top 3 games & will continue to update the list as votes come in :)

I'll continue to post 'list updated' comments, mostly so I can track where I am ! :cry:

PS: Remember to make it clear what your ONE VOTE is - if you say 'best multi' then 'best single player' - I have no idea what your vote is - make it clear please, make your vote bold font or just say what it is - thanks!

Soldato
OP
My OCD is triggering. Here is the current list in tally then alphanumeric order (sorted using this site: http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/listscrubber/)

Deus Ex - 8
Unreal Tournament 1999 - 8
Witcher 3 - 8
Team Fortress Classic - 7
World of Warcraft - 7
System Shock 2 - 5
Borderlands 2 - 3
Doom - 3
Everquest 1 - 3
Goldeneye - 3
Half Life 1 - 3
Quake 3 Arena - 3
DCS - 2
Metal Gear Solid - 2
Half Life Alyx - 2
Mass Effect 2 - 2
Final Fantasy VII - 2
Counter Strike - 2
Elder Scrolls 3 : Morrowind - 2
Quake Live - 2
American Truck Simulator - 1
Battlefield 2 - 1
Battlefield bad companies 2 - 1
Bioshock - 1
Bioshock Infinite - 1
Carrier Command -1
Chrono Trigger - 1
Civ 2 - 1
Civilization VI - 1
Command and Conquer red alert 2. Yuri revenge - 1
Dark Souls - 1
Dark age of camalot - 1
Divinity 2 origins - 1
Doom - 1
Dune 2 - 1
EVE Online - 1
EagleLander3d - 1
Elder Scrolls Online - 1
Elder scrolls - Oblivion - 1
Escape from Tarkov - 1
F22 Total Air War - 1
Freespace 2 - 1
GTA V - 1
GTA: Vice City - 1
Gran Turismo 3 - 1
Grand Prix Legends - 1
Halflife 2 - 1
Halo 3 - 1
Halo: Combat Evolved - 1
Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising - 1
LOTR battle for middle earth - 1
MU Online - 1
Max Payne 2 - 1
Max Payne 3 - 1
Might and Magic VI - 1
Minecraft - 1
Planet Side - 1
Resident Evil - 1
Rimworld - 1
Silent Hill 2 - 1
Sniper Elite 4 - 1
Soldier of Fortune 2 - 1
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl - 1
Star Wars Galaxies - 1
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) - 1
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition - 1
Subspace Continuum - 1
Super Metroid - 1
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance Forged Alliance Forever - 1
Tetris - 1
The Chaos Engine - 1
The Division 1 - 1
The last of us - 1
Tomb Raider 2 - 1
Wing Commander 3 - 1
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 1
X-Com Enemy Unknown - 1
Zelda - 1

:cry::cry::D amazing thanks ill update the list now and add the new entires, fun job this is, awesome procrastination ;):D

Soldato
OP
I'm torn between two so I'll go with the one I've had the most hours...

Kerbal Space Program

It's rewarding to play by challenging both your design / 'engineering' skills as well as flying skills. It sets an impossible goal for you to do without needing words (the moon is just kind of there, always visible, always very far away, of course you're going to try to fly to it first), and you get better and better and closer and closer with each attempt. But when you reach it through something you've designed and built, planned and then flown it's an amazing feeling.

The game keeps a light hearted tone through the minimal consequences for failing and ever happy Kerbals.

The difficulty scales up enormously when you need to go further afield or you can go deeper into setting up bases or mining operations closer to home.

You can take a break by designing helicopters, planes, tanks, whatever you want.

I'm looking forward to KSP2 which should fix the main problem with KSP - there isn't much to do when you finally reach a moon or planet.

Yeah absolutely I played it for a decade while it was in beta, then when it was released I played less ironically, although in the past day or 2 I am getting back into it and enjoying :) It's a good chill out game that doesn't require any rushing (apart from launch! lol)

List updated :)

Soldato
OP
i loved railroad tycoon... infact i enjoyed most of the older school city / infrastructure building games... but for me they got too complex for their own good. i remember the rage of trying to build water supplies in sim city 2000. it was painful with the isometric view making what should have been simple, stupidly hard.

and there has not been a ufo / xcom game i have not loved (terror from the deep probably my fave).... i have completed them all, except for the reboot xcom 2 which is in my list of shame to get to.

I used to like one of the old Railroad Tycoon (1990) games on the Amiga back in the day.

Though I bought it on the PC a few years ago and it didn't have the same grip on me.

As much as I love The Witcher series.
I’m going to vote for Xcom series.
I’ve been hooked since Rebel Star on the Spectrum.
Like your theme hospital mention. Transport Tycoon is a pretty timeless game as well. Could easily sink in several hours which for a game released in 1994 is good going.
Very difficult question for me, part of me would say Tie Fighter, Theme Hospital, Baldur's Gate 1/2 or Magic Carpet; but I've played some absolutely wonderful games over the years and I find it very hard to give a top single game.

And that's before we include console as well, as then things like Chrono Trigger or Zelda OOT(I have an american imported cartridge and an NTSC-PAL converter for it for example)

It also becomes messy, because some games, at their time were ABSOLUTELY astounding; a massive leap forwards; but they don't play so well nowadays, others are timeless.

So hard to choose

for me it's either Call Of Duty 4 (modern warfare, 2007) or Bloodborne

Please clearly choose ONE GAME to add to the list :)

Back
Top Bottom