What's your work IT equipment like?

Soldato
My previous job that I recently left was pretty decent. I had a good MacBook pro and 2x 24" screens which was spot on for the work I do. Here is a struggle with wyse terminals and slow vdis. But they're planning to upgrade it so we'll see.

Soldato
I have a Surface Pro 3 alongside an HP desktop with dual Xeons / 64gb RAM / Quadro card for most of the day's work. It's potentially a little over-powered as I run simulations / computationally-heavier scripts on our cluster or supercomputer, but it gets the job done for writing myriad reports :p

Soldato
And you use XP :eek:
Yep. And get this, they deleted windows 7 off the laptop to then put windows XP on it!! It sounds strange but there is a legit reason why. We have had to create a lot of inhouse programs and some of them will only run on XP as no one has updated them in years.

Oh and i use office 2003 ;)

Man of Honour
And a 1608i phone as well I believe. Good to see whoever maintains your phones takes their job seriously, you don't even have button labels!!

It is indeed a 1608i, The phone system was installed and is maintained by yours truly :) The 1608i is the lowest end handset we install but is still decent enough.

Soldato
Yep. And get this, they deleted windows 7 off the laptop to then put windows XP on it!! It sounds strange but there is a legit reason why. We have had to create a lot of inhouse programs and some of them will only run on XP as no one has updated them in years.

Oh and i use office 2003 ;)

I have a client like that, he uses a few older software programs. He loves XP but he's never used any other versions of Windows so he knows non better lol

His machine is fast though.

Soldato
I have a client like that, he uses a few older software programs. He loves XP but he's never used any other versions of Windows so he knows non better lol

His machine is fast though.
Yea i have a gaming rig at home that uses windows 10 and i would love to use it at work. I must admit, i never have to wait for my work laptop to catch up with me, its certainly fast enough, it just doesnt look as nice :)

Soldato
It is indeed a 1608i, The phone system was installed and is maintained by yours truly :) The 1608i is the lowest end handset we install but is still decent enough.

I keep trying to get my sales people to stop selling them but it hasnt worked, had to install 145 of them at the weekend!

Here's a link to sort your button labels out - http://www.filedropper.com/avaya16xxlabels

Man of Honour
I keep trying to get my sales people to stop selling them but it hasnt worked, had to install 145 of them at the weekend!

Here's a link to sort your button labels out - http://www.filedropper.com/avaya16xxlabels

Why stop selling them? The IP500 is really simple to install, configure and maintain. In my opinion its the perfect kit for SME's, besides you could literally teach a monkey to administer it. In terms of the labels and buttons, as you know, buttons are customisable so on most desks they do write on them and people often ask me to put custom functions on the buttons. My phone, well I am not that fussed about actually writing anything on there. I know what the buttons do. Button 4 for example redirects everything to my ip dect handset. Button 8 to my mobile.... etc.

Man of Honour
I want them to stop selling 16xx handsets and just do the 9608 or 9611 handsets which are so much better.

Ahh you are not wrong, we put the better handsets on many desks for one reason, dual digital microphones over the analogue jobbie in the 1608i. People like to have mini conferences on their handsets and the 1608i just doesnt have the clarity in the mic for it. So we have these as well, 9641G's...

Those fellas though are a pain to set up compared to the 1608.

Man of Honour
Worst thing about them is the screen is so unresponsive, but they do look pretty good for an Avaya.

Work well enough I would say. couple of quirks but I would rather that than be administering a cisco system or similar. To be fair the people here think that this avaya system is the best thing since sliced bread given that I moved them from an index 500 just a few years ago.

Soldato
Don't get me wrong, I think the IPO is great, its the only system we sell and all I have been installing for 9 years.

We have even just started offering hosted solutions where you pay per seat and then get the full experience of desk phone (9608 by default), one-x mobile, one-x portal, communicator, web communicator, call assistant and outlook plugin. Seems to be working well and now have 6 customers on this setup and more coming in each week.

Caporegime
certainly in newer companies they're popular - STEM grad students seem to predominantly go for MacBooks, Google's default option for it's employees are MacBooks, most Facebook employees use MacBooks, plenty of start ups seem to mostly use MacBooks too

financial technology is the other way around though, if you want a non-crippled version of excel and the ability to use some financial software you need windows - some people might get a MacBook and use bootcamp or parallels (usually execs who are fanboys and can get their own way re: hardware or some technical people who have made up some excuse that they absolutely 'need' a MacBook for their role but really just want to be special), most people working in or with banks though will use windows machines as default though - Dell seems to be a popular choice

Soldato
As the design team in an in-house agency, we're all on iMacs - a mix of generations. I managed to wangle a Core i7-6700k with a 5k Retina display recently, which I am well aware makes me pretty lucky. The other teams are on PCs, which they all complain about, but I think that might be partly because a) they're cheap PCs b) Windows is locked down tighter than anything I've ever seen. They can't even plug in a flash drive without the OS auto-encrypting it.

Soldato
Laptop is a Dell Precision M4800. Quad core i7, 16Gb ram, 15.6" matte screen running 1080p, NVidia K2100 2Gb graphics and a combination of SSD primary disk and spinning disk for storage.

I have two desktops, one a standalone machine that I can use for software testing and the other networked. Both specs are identical. HP z800 workstation, dual 6 core xeons, 48Gb ram, 3Gb Quadro FX graphics, and a primary 500Gb for data and 2Tb of Raid 0 running over 4 500Gb drives.

I also have a Dell workstation for larger models. Has the same disk capacity but dual 8 core xeons and 128Gb of ram and a newer graphics card.

Soldato
We recently had a refresh and have i5 6th generation, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD small form factor desktops PCs.
There are also large form factor PCs with more RAM, better CPUs and larger SSD for some of the engineers and physics modellers. The laptops are pretty nippy too by all accounts. PCs are good and fast, the problem we have is the super slow network backhaul to SAP and our other servers which maxes out at around 500kB/s.

I work in manufacturing so PCs are capable enough for running a few spreadsheets, Tableau desktop and Access.

Associate
200 laptops of i5 spec with 4gb ram, couple of newer trolleys have ssds.

200 desktops of i5 spec with 4gb ram, currently rolling out newer model thinstations and dells with ssds.

We have a suite of i5 iMacs, iPads, Promethean boards, CTouch screens, Sharp MFDs.....etc

Servers are are 5 years old, split into vms with a SAN, backup drive etc - we are slowly moving over to Google.

Back
Top Bottom