When are you going fully electric?

The dream revenue earning for Govts is mileage based taxation. Want to drive on the M25 during rush hour? That will be £1 per mile. Want to drive in the countryside on a B road at 11am, that will be 4p per mile.

With all the EVs and hybrids pretty much have all the tach to know where and when you are driving, it will be easy for them to bring in. Already they have been trials done in the UK.
The issue with this approach is scale. The cost to collect tens of billion in fuel duty from a few hundred businesses is next to nothing. The cost to collect it from individuals will be eyewatering and all of that will have to be added to the tax to make it worthwhile. That's before you consider all the opportunities to get around it via hacking the cars software or just simply removing the sim card from the car. Let's also be realistic, no ones coming to investigate you for £300 of missing tax.

Solar will be even more attractive then. :)
That's the obvious issue with that one also and that there is no way to determine what is happening after the smart meter.

It will be what your charger reports into the car. You will still pay duty on it. Take chip fat, you still pay tax over a threshold.
You can just use a charger that doesn't report your usage, they are readily available. Its not even difficult to build your own EVSE, they just use off the shelf components. The vast majority of the expense of an EVSE is all the smart nonsense these days. Tesla will sell you a 32A capable EVSE for £180 and a 32A commando pigtail for is is about £40. The cheapest wall box is what £600 these days?

A: you think they can’t get it from the car then?
Not if I remove the sim card.
B: are you suggesting your comfortable with tax fraud/ evasion?
See my point above, no one is coming after you for a few hundred £, it would cost more to work out how much you owe and collect it than what you owe.

I take it you've never paid a tradesperson cash right?

Last edited:
A: you think they can’t get it from the car then?
B: are you suggesting your comfortable with tax fraud/ evasion?

I am suggesting they can't tax energy I produce, and what I chose to do with it. Heck I could put the car on a flat bed truck, drive it to the top of a mountain and let it roll down and recharge it using KERS - I am pretty certain they will never add the VED at the home input level. :)

I am suggesting they can't tax energy I produce, and what I chose to do with it. Heck I could put the car on a flat bed truck, drive it to the top of a mountain and let it roll down and recharge it using KERS - I am pretty certain they will never add the VED at the home input level. :)

You can make your own fule if you want. Still have to pay duty on it.

EV charging duty or tax is way more feasible than by miles taxation.

Last edited:
As other have mentioned buying a used EV is no different to buying a used ICE. You look at age and condition at your specific budget. The worry some have about battery degradation is understandable but realistically a state of health check should allay any concerns.

For a 3 year old EV, anything below 95% state of health and above 30k miles would have me walk away to look for another example. Any level of extreme mileage would logically indicate lots of rapid DC charging on long motorway trips. Right now it’s a buyers market and looking for lower mileage EVs is a good starting point that you have an EV that was not abused at rapids. It’s not a guarantee of course, but enough to raise a red flag.
Since when has 10k a year been extreme?!

Edit - Sorry, just spotted that 2 posts later extreme jumped from 10k per year to 30k per year...

Last edited:
Not really, all they need to do is make you report mileage from year to year, and for cars older than 3 it would be done at the MOT. When selling a car mid-year you'd just fill in a field when doing the V5.

The suggestion earlier was by miles variable pricing. I agree a based x miles per year tax would be the simplest to implement.

You are quite correct. 10k a year is just the point where you wouldn't consider buying it.

No wonder EV depreciation is so high.

My point was that in a todays buyers market for EVs I can find lower mileage examples for a similar price. Not that 10k miles per year was excessive.

My subsequent point was that 3 or 4 year old EVs with 100,000 miles on them is excessive and would very likely have done a lot of rapid DC charging. So their battery would potentially have a lower SOH.

Reactions: Av8
Most rapid chargers would be £1.04/kwh if you added the 25p/kwh to charging, getting on for 40% higher cost than diesel.... sounds like a vote winner :cry:
Would the government really care? The target from both sides seems to be "hard working individuals" with the context being ground level workers in the basic rate bracket. Not middle management types riding the BIK gravy train.
My point was that in a todays buyers market for EVs I can find lower mileage examples for a similar price. Not that 10k miles per year was excessive.

My subsequent point was that 3 or 4 year old EVs with 100,000 miles on them is excessive and would very likely have done a lot of rapid DC charging. So their battery would potentially have a lower SOH.
Yeah fair enough, I read too much into it TBH. Your personal preference when buying a car is exactly that.

Any level of extreme mileage would logically indicate lots of rapid DC charging on long motorway trips. Right now it’s a buyers market and looking for lower mileage EVs is a good starting point that you have an EV that was not abused at rapids. It’s not a guarantee of course, but enough to raise a red flag.

Person I work with on occasion has a Model 3 that just turned three years old, and it has nearly 85k on it. They do a 110 miles commute five days a week, so that's nearly 27k miles per year (not including weekend use), it's virtually never been rapid charged, they have it mainly due to cheap running costs and charge at home every day. So you are correct to not assume about the mileage being an indication of DC rapid charging. Should get them to look at SOH with my ODB when I next see them. :)

Yeah fair enough, I read too much into it TBH. Your personal preference when buying a car is exactly that.

No worries. The thing is this red line need to move as the market changes. When EV prices were through the roof a year or so back, we gave up finding a reasonably priced one. Even almost two year old 64kWh Konas were £35k. A 1 years old eC4 was £27k. Now used EVs are at a point where your choices are much improved to the point you can afford to shop around and be prepared to walk away.

Would the government really care? The target from both sides seems to be "hard working individuals" with the context being ground level workers in the basic rate bracket. Not middle management types riding the BIK gravy train.

Given they have not been able to bring themselves to apply the fuel duty accumulator policy they implemented for the last 11 years or put back on the the 'temporary' 12 month 5p cut they took off 2 years ago and they have just kicked the can down the road for another year.

Meanwhile train fares go up like clockwork every year.

On this basis, I'd say no, they are not going to simultaneously annoy both the vocal motorist and environmental nut job at the same time over the same issue.

Back
Top Bottom