When are you going fully electric?

Take the head rest off and jam the metal prongs in between the glass window and metal door. Pull the head rest down and the window will shatter. Very easy to say, but I can't imagine the sheer panic if you end up in sinking!

of course following the internet meme a fire extinguisher could be equally important, for NMC owners - perhaps serve as a good window smasher too;
police may have had an upgrade on their batons for breaking newer glass, too.

How many charge cycles are some of these batteries rated for and are there many figures around showing battery health on older batteries?

Thousands and yes.

Let me just say most modern EVs will still have about 85% SOH on their battery in 200,000 miles or 10 years. EV battery warranties cover 70% SOH up to 8 years or 100,000 - 150,000 miles and they tend to err on the side of caution to keep manufacturers from having to shell out a fortune.

Early Leafs did not have a BMS so you could find 24kWh Leafs with 50% degradation after 10 years + but similar vintage or mileage Teslas are generally around 80% - 90% SOH.

Last edited:
It does if you read it.

Can You Break Laminated Glass With Hammer.

"It is not possible to use an emergency escape hammer to break laminated glass"
I may have read it wrong but I wasn't sure that was the kind of hammer it was referring to.

it also says
Many window hammers can also be used on laminated glass,

to be honest the whole thing is poorly written , for a start the images other than the one at the top are of normal hammers. a simple guide with images of what hammer for what window.would have been far better

it also has an entire paragraph with how to break a laminated car window complete with what looks a lot like the tool in question as well as saying you can use a hammer

Last edited:
The hammer will break the glass but it don’t shatter like regular tempered glass. It will break like a windscreen and you’ll have to peal it open with your hands after you have smashed it.

Thousands and yes.

Let me just say most modern EVs will still have about 85% SOH on their battery in 200,000 miles or 10 years. EV battery warranties cover 70% SOH up to 8 years or 100,000 - 150,000 miles and they tend to err on the side of caution to keep manufacturers from having to shell out a fortune.

You’ll tend to see a drop in capacity in the first 6-12 months, at which point the degradation curve slows down, accelerating again as the car reaches 100,000 miles or so. At least from the graphs I’ve seen.

According to Tessie, my 2 year old Model 3 is around 97-98% SoH.

How many charge cycles are some of these batteries rated for and are there many figures around showing battery health on older batteries?
i don't know the charging history of my ipace. it had 42.5k miles on it when I bought it (still on factory tyres as far as I can tell somewhat dispelling the idea they wreck tyres). now it's on 48kish (tyres are ready for replacement in the next few months, more for the fact they feel quite old/ brittle and crumbling a tiny bit on the tread rather than bald)...... and still the range on the car is within what a Google shows it was when it was new. if I had to bet hard cash I would say it's still within worst case 5 percent of the range it was when new - and that is me being really pessimistic (ie within a margin of error of any range test i could do)

I have no facts to back it up but I sometimes wonder if the conservative DC charging rate and curve doesn't help nurse the battery somewhat.
I do wonder what these 250kwh charge rate cars with aggressive charging curve will be like if continually charged at that speed (probably fine but given I like a 45 mins stop at the services every 4 hrs or so of driving a more leisurely charge rate does me fine.

Last edited:
My leased I-Pace is almost two and only done 16k miles. Still giving within margin of error range at 100% SoC of 270 summer and 220 winter. I also charge to 100% once or twice a month. With the usual top up to 70% - 80% in between. This is all mostly on my home AC charger.

I suspect it might be down by 2% or 5 miles when I hand it back in May 2025. Still seeing people with 5 year old I-Paces that are within 5% of new SOH.

Last edited:
anecdotally the ipace does seem to have a very robust battery, even amongst other EVs.
whether that is the charging, or the battery management or simply because it is so large it tends to get through less cycles I am not sure.

(just so long as you don't get one of the faulty ones ;) )

Last edited:
A huge battery and slow rapid charging probably helps some what :p

On a more serious note, some manufacturers have used smaller than typical usable capacities on their battery packs to hide any degradation from the user. This comes at the penalty of rated range though.

The battery has still degraded but it was never available for you to use as an end user so you’ll not have missed it.

I don’t think many are doing this as much anymore. A larger WLTP range is a better selling point compared to you’ll not see as much battery degradation on our car. The customer probably wouldn’t believe you on the latter anyway.

Last edited:
The biggest effect isn't really degradation - it's the pace of improvements. By the time you come to sell your EV, battery tech has improved.

I expect my Leaf battery would outlive the car being economically worth maintaining (when the battery is worth more out of the car than in it). Which doesn't seem that far off.

Your right, even what’s in an old 2014 Model S was cutting edge at the time, it’s now old hat.

That said, I don’t see that pace being maintained though and I wouldn’t be surprised if we started nudging up against some hard limits in the not so distant future. Physics is a **** and all that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom