When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Im pretty sure their structural battery packs are based around their own 4680(?) cylindrical cell form factor which is only produced/used in the US. I’m pretty sure it’s also only the cars produced in Texas that actually get it.

Cars made outside the US get different cells and have a different spec car.

Soldato
OK hadn't realised the 4680 wasn't ubiquitous yet - moreover aren't there performance benefits even if capacity is the same such that worldwide owners would want them ..
( come to think of it the pink-candifloss is a bit like the antitamper dye bombs the movies show in armoured cash vehicles.)

Associate
Batteries contribute to the body structure regardless of what they are called or filled with. Great marketing from Tesla that’s basically their non servicable pink PU goo they fill around the cells.
if you watch some of Sandy Munro's teardown it goes deeper than that. Basically almost the entire car chassis is pressed from one chunk of metal with the battery pack, seats and everything raised up through the centre of the car.

Soldato
not sure I need to watch him to qualify my statement. I’ll see what he says in 2 years with more interest.

Something bolted in to a car will never be as well connected as the monocoque.

They need to rename the structural battery to “easier to build a car” battery. Cos that’s all it is.

Last edited:
Soldato
not sure I need to watch him to qualify my statement. I’ll see what he says in 2 years with more interest.

Something bolted in to a car will never be as well connected as the monocoque.

They need to rename the structural battery to “easier to build a car” battery. Cos that’s all it is.

You should argue that point with Colin Chapman. Using the engine as a stressed member. Suspension, struts, bracing etc is all pretty par for the course.

Soldato
It's interesting how the conversation has moved from having to dismantle the entire car to get to the battery, to the battery barely attached at all.

Can't have it both ways

Associate
It's interesting how the conversation has moved from having to dismantle the entire car to get to the battery, to the battery barely attached at all.

Can't have it both ways
Which one is it then? Do we need to be worried about it? Oh my god another thing to worry about with EV's

Soldato
OK hadn't realised the 4680 wasn't ubiquitous yet - moreover aren't there performance benefits even if capacity is the same such that worldwide owners would want them ..
( come to think of it the pink-candifloss is a bit like the antitamper dye bombs the movies show in armoured cash vehicles.)
It won't and the 4680 cells are not the best on the market.

Which one is it then? Do we need to be worried about it? Oh my god another thing to worry about with EV's

No you don't need to worry about it just like no normal person worries about how easy it is to remove an engine from a car (which isn't very easy in a modern car...).

Last edited:
Soldato

Can't have it both ways
Hello, id like to reference two bookends of an argument and then apply an out of context factor of 5.

krhxbye.

Who on earth said barely attached? It’s just basic mechanical principles.

Last edited:
Caporegime
what has that got to do with the reliability/repairability of the battery?
private buyer / cheaper leases same difference. if companies don't want cars with difficult to repair batteries then they can choose to stock cars with easier to repair batteries.

and as for taking the hit on a new car , I wouldn't buy any car outright with cash. I got my 350z a 34k car when new for 12k and my 1st fiat coupe for £6k which was.probably £20k+ when new

not sure why my EV would be different ? (tho actually my EV percentage wise was the closest I have paid to new price.
it does make me laugh tho how the goal posts move . a few years back people were arguing EVs were a poor choice because there were no affordable 2nd hand cars.
now apparently they are a poor choice because they have lost too much value from new?.

or the funniest one of all, the people who argue that the infrastructure is not good enough, too
Battery concerns are one of the factors of the second hand price drops. Which makes them more affordable now for those who don’t have a way of buying them new. But those buying new now pay more a month due to residuals .

Not sure it’s goalposts moving. It’s the market moving and you have seen it from a second hand buyer view so you like depreciation

No battery is easy to repair so not sure right now you can select particular ones as a fleet owner. To be honest the fleet owner orders the cars the end customer wants based on… price .

In terms of repairs the glued together cells are harder to repair but Tesla do seem to not worry about repair.

Usual idle musing though

Last edited:
Soldato
Battery concerns are one of the factors of the second hand price drops. Which makes them more affordable now for those who don’t have a way of buying them new. But those buying new now pay more a month due to residuals .

Not sure it’s goalposts moving. It’s the market moving and you have seen it from a second hand buyer view so you like depreciation

No battery is easy to repair so not sure right now you can select particular ones as a fleet owner. To be honest the fleet owner orders the cars the end customer wants based on… price .

In terms of repairs the glued together cells are harder to repair but Tesla do seem to not worry about repair.

Usual idle musing though

That makes no sense. Nothing has changed with regard to batteries, if anything the technology is only improves in leaps and bounds.

Whats feeding battery concerns is all the Fud on social media and Media in general. Look at the utter gibberish on this thread, from people who wouldn't know one end a spanner from the other.

Associate
That makes no sense. Nothing has changed with regard to batteries, if anything the technology is only improves in leaps and bounds.

Whats feeding battery concerns is all the Fud on social media and Media in general. Look at the utter gibberish on this thread, from people who wouldn't know one end a spanner from the other.
What's a spanner?

Just getting in before you get some juice replies

Last edited:
Caporegime

I didn’t say it had. I was on about the used car market. And yes battery concerns are a factor in secondhand prices. Doesn’t matter why but it’s the reality
Most people I work with have a SS EV paying 55-60% of the monthly. Hardly any will buy a second hand Ev ever. Just churn out a new one every 3 years and dump the old one on the market.

SS prices are up about 20% this year due to residuals (some will be ved, cost of borrowing ). Most are extending the car an extra year to get the lower monthly for another year before getting a new car (greener option too)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom