When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
PS. Thanks for the link on the Nissan, I had a look but I didn't like the look of it sadly. Not for me personally that one. Thanks though.
Is it for your parents or yourself. That post confuses me lol because you talked about how it’s for your parents then say you don’t like the look of the Ariya :cry:

Soldato
I’m glad you/they liked it.

For me, the main shortcoming of the Honda is range and charging speed but I actually need it. Ultimately that’s why it’s a lot cheaper than say a Tesla Model Y or Kia EV6 which is fine in my book.

It’s ’normal’ price is way too much for what they are asking but at just over £300/month (after factoring in the deposit), it’s hard to complain.

Make sure you check other brokers, you may get a better deal.

Soldato
Anybody seen this report on the BBC news website? They are claiming charging a battery from 10-80% in under 5 minutes and with one of their own chargers 0-100% in 6 minutes!! Granted it requires a 350kw charger but this is good progress.

There have been a lot of these prototype batteries over the that’s and they are fantastic and they do work.

The issue is not building one full pack, it’s building 1 million packs a year at a sensible price.

If you’d taken the news reports about solid state batteries back in 2018/19 as gospel, that’s all we’d be using now. Again the issue is building one in a lab is easy, building a million full packs a year is somewhat more difficult and n ones managed to scale them yet.

Meanwhile ‘traditional’ NMC, NCA and LFP cells have halved in price and are miles better than they were in 2018/19.

Soldato
PS. Thanks for the link on the Nissan, I had a look but I didn't like the look of it sadly. Not for me personally that one. Thanks though.

Wasn't a massive of fan of it myself, but when we had it for a test drive it was such a lovely car, and the tech in it is great. Don't write it off without looking at it in the flesh and having a test drive.

Q3 deals will start on Monday so might be worth keeping your eyes open for other deals as well, I doubt the Honda deal will get worse as the year goes on.

nam

nam

Soldato
Wasn't a massive of fan of it myself, but when we had it for a test drive it was such a lovely car, and the tech in it is great. Don't write it off without looking at it in the flesh and having a test drive.

Q3 deals will start on Monday so might be worth keeping your eyes open for other deals as well, I doubt the Honda deal will get worse as the year goes on.
Have a look on PH , always discussion under the leasedeals sections. Have got a megane e-tech techno 22 plate with 8 miles from leasingoptions arriving soon, there are usually better deals on pre-reg cars

Last edited:
Soldato
Couldn't agree the finance though with the dealer, so I came home and went to car wow. The E:NY1 Advance (so not the Elegance trim that we looked at originally) plus the nicer alloys and the obsidian blue paint..... with a smaller deposit, came back at £259 a month. Brand new, free delivery (dealership here added an additioanl £840 charge on for delivery), includes the mats for free (again the dealership here also wanted to charge for), 0% apr, and the 5 year care pack. :) The dealership here wanted £357.

That £259 a month saves my parents £71 a month (£852 a year). To fill the XC60 is also costing £70 a tank and returning about 26mpg. I think charging the E:NY1 will be ~£20. No road tax until next year.

don't you go back to the dealer and say I can get the same car for £259 with similar deposit, or, tell them that at start of discussion;
although if the balloon payment from the dealer was much smaller, the comparison is not apples and apples.

Soldato
60kwh battery and 280 miles WLTP so its not terrible. It should be good for 190 miles down the motorway in winter and well in excess of 200 in this weather.

Let me guess he had to charge it up after 100 miles because it was down to 20% but that was after 20 ~5 mile journeys which is probably about right.

Last edited:
Associate
60kwh battery and 280 miles WLTP so its not terrible. It should be good for 190 miles down the motorway in winter and well in excess of 200 in this weather.

Let me guess he had to charge it up after 100 miles because it was down to 20% but that was after 20 ~5 mile journeys which is probably about right.
Mr Bestwick, from Derbyshire, said: “My Renault is meant to have a range of 280 miles but it’s only ever reached over 200 twice out of about 30 times. I’m lucky to get 160 out of it, so it’s blatantly obvious there is a problem.

“I’ve taken it to three different Renault garages and they’ve all said there’s nothing wrong and it’s because of my driving style.

Soldato
I fully accept WLTP range is a fantasy (and always.suggest people. go to the EV database for a slightly pessimistic realistic range.

but lucky to get 160 miles out of a WLTP 280 mile car sounds like either a fiction or a really bad driver.

and if it's really bad driver we'll they won't be getting close to advertised MPG in a car either

my car has a WLTP of 280 miles iirc and I have never failed to get 200 miles and regularly get 250 miles when not in winter

Last edited:
Associate
The part where they’ve got a Tesla driver to whinge about range anxiety is priceless. I used to run a team of engineers who had Model 3’s as company cars and they travelled the country for work without issue. That was well before the supercharger network is what it is now.

Soldato
TLDR (or just use ublock paywall add-on) - get rid of WLTP, not fit for purpose, and use American EPA and highway/town mpge -
Industry has shot itself in the foot creating consumer frustration , not least, creating youtube gang auditing ev range.

Got my new car delivered today, so far really impressed with how relaxed and comfortable it is to drive.
do you wear glasses and has the electronic mirror been any issue

Soldato
WLTP is not ideal but it is ok, so long as you go in not ignorant of it.

Yes for literal range it is not reliable. (cig packet maths personally i just take off 30% and consider that my worst case winter driving range - but that is based on how i drive and my usual journey types, that calculation may be different for other people) however so long as you understand its limitations WLTP is still useful imo. I think it is still ok to use to compare against different cars.

ie if 1 car has a WLTP of 300 miles and the other car has one of 200 miles...... sure chances are neither will be right but i still know that roughly the 200 mile car will have about 2/3 the range of the 300 mile car.

for actual real world figures however I would always look here https://ev-database.org/uk

The biggest problem is, rather than explaining the weaknesses and trying to have a constructive discussion about them, as well as informing people how to work things out properly, our clickbait press would much rather sensationalise.

The reality is even with a more realistic range on cars, it would still be possible to make the range look terrible by driving like a berk in cold weather.

advertising the worse case "sensible" winter range would not be great either as that would be way too low for 10 months of the year, and is very area dependent as well. The top and bottom of it is, much like driving an ICE you have to learn about warming the engine before giving it the beans, and not running the tank dry incase it causes issues, there are a few things you need to learn about an EV as well........ and one of those is how much your real world range is likely to differ from advertised due to your specific driving style and worse case driving conditions.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
TLDR (or just use ublock paywall add-on) - get rid of WLTP, not fit for purpose, and use American EPA and highway/town mpge -
Industry has shot itself in the foot creating consumer frustration , not least, creating youtube gang auditing ev range.

do you wear glasses and has the electronic mirror been any issue
I wear glasses and the rear view camera mirror in my Leaf hasn't given me any issues if that's any help. I need to have a play with it though as it seems to be zoomed in because when parking it looks like I am just about to bump the car behind me but then remember to look at the monitor which shows the birds eye 360 degree view and reversing camera view and I am at least a whole car length away. It's even worse at the traffic lights or in a traffic jam as the car behind looks like it's going to hit me. The manual for this car is huge!!

Soldato
but lucky to get 160 miles out of a WLTP 280 mile car sounds like either a fiction or a really bad driver.
...or a genuine problem with the car that Renault are just shrugging off as "driving style".

Why it has been spun as an EV thing and not just a "I bought a car and it has a problem that the dealer can't / won't sort out" story is purely down to the amount of traffic it will generate. Microsoft Start decided to serve that particular gem of a new article up to me this morning as well.

Back
Top Bottom